Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Panzer III - First project.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Lokter polycounter lvl 6
Just my Uni work. Hoping to get some feedback, but a bit worried as personally I know there's a lot of issues with it. But its my first major project within 3Ds max. Hadn't even touched the software before I came to University in October.

nbRChaL.jpg

Tn8VmA8.jpg

iSsyBdr.jpg

gEh40rK.jpg

The edges of the High poly are a bit tight and that has come through in the normal map. I also think my unwrap has a lot of wasted space, and is probably stitched a bit much, resulting in a couple of odd errors with smoothing groups.

Overall I'm happy with the result as a first try at something larger and more complex.

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    It looks really solid but I'm concerned with the occlusion on your tank treads. Having the occlusion there, this would never be able to be rigged or animated and thus, you've made a beautiful shot of a vehicle that isn't necessarily game-ready.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Overall it's pretty good - it looks like a Panzer III. However there are all sorts of inaccuracy issues with the model. To model such things you really have to assemble a lot of reference. Fortunately there are quite a few surviving Panzer III's in museums around the world you can pull reference from.

As BringMeASunkist pointed out the way you constructed the tracks make it not suited for animation. Apart from the baked in AO the tracks should exist on a totally separate texture image since the animation of them is achieved by scrolling the UVs. If this is just a static prop used to litter a battlefield then it's not really an issue.
  • Lokter
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokter polycounter lvl 6
    Its a static piece as part of a University assignment that's not going to go past this stage unless I go back to it over summer.

As for the tracks, the assignment document states everything needs to be on one sheet.

I found it difficult to model certain parts of the tank, as there is lots of variants and they often had conflicting parts and quite often the images were incorrectly labelled as different versions. If I had of had more time I would have headed down to the Tank Museum, but I have 3 other Uni modules alongside this so its been a real push to get everything done in the time frame.
  • Holland
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good! You could do with some padding around those UV edges though or you'll end up with little seams everywhere. If you have xNormal installed and an alpha of your UV shells you can use dilation in photoshop.