Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realtime VFX Reel - William Kladis

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
Hello all!

Some of you already know me from my tutorials, but today I wanted to share a long overdue update to my VFX reel! This includes my latest work from Injustice: Gods Among Us & some new breakdowns from my DLC work on Mortal Kombat.
[vv]32182703[/vv]

Aside from just updating new content, I wanted to focus specifically on breakdowns & isolating my VFX content. In simple terms, I want my Mom to be able to watch this and understand what I did :)

And if you haven't looked, I run my own company the focuses specifically on learning VFX in games, so please stop by! https://www.imbueFX.com

I hope you enjoy!

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks really nice.
    Love the flash ones and the explosion

I never really got into the VFX branch, but this made me curious.

I have 3 Questions;

Which programs do you use mainly ? (I guess cascade and editor specifics ?)
    Which skills are the most useful for VFX out of other branches (Photoshop?) ?
    And do you code in VFX ?
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Shrike!

To answer your questions:

1) I prefer using UDK over everything, so that entails using Cascade (the particle editor) and the material editor extensively. I also have used CryEngine (which doesn't have a name for its particle editor), Fork Particle Studio (a standalone editor that is implemented into most game engines without a particle editor), as well as Pyro (another standalone editor). When it comes to create textures and such, Photoshop, After Effects, Maya Fluids, & FumeFX are all your friends.

2) Lots of skills come together in concert with one another. Know a compositing package (especially a node-based one) will teach some universal concepts. Good photoshop skills are also essential, as with any art role in game development. Understanding basic keyframe animation is also a must.

3) Depending on the engine. In UDK, there's is little need to code in my experience. It's good to know some basic HLSL if you want to write custom nodes. Also some uscript to attach particles. But I feel kismet is more powerful and easy to use for someone like me who doesn't want to be a full fledged programmer. In Cryengine that's a different story. There's no editor for materials like UDK, so when you want to do advanced materials like the cloak shader, you have to dig in to HLSL. Also LUA is used for the emitters themselves.

I hope that answers your questions, and make sure to check out my VFX tutorials on imbueFX & 3dmotive!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Dude... Im a little disappointed. VFX reel and there is almost no fire or fiery explosions... Clearly not a REAL vfx reel :P /sarcasm

AMAZING reel. Holy crap. Love the stuff you did for injustice. But I loved seeing so much variety. Having lego in there is definitely a plus! fantastic work!
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, thanks Slipsius!
  • Spazzme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man thos are some great FX, the starter one with Nightwing is just amazing, and the growing puddle..
    Would love to see more stuff like the Injustice FX as tutorials on imbueFX.com

Keep up the amazing work!
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Spazzme! Is there anything specific from the reel that you'd like to see taught?
  • Spazzme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well tho's two examples looked so great so tho's maybe the puddle with some smoke as an AOE sort of spell.
    I would just love to see more quick spell effects, like in this reel:
    http://vimeo.com/50971225#

I don't think anyone on the web is doing that and as i start to dip my toes in the FX scene (using UDK) i would love to hear how you tackle FX like that what your mindset in going in and then how you create it ^^
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I'm in love with your demoreel, as Slipsius said you work on Injustice is awesome ! <3
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Froyok: Thanks so much! You're still my #1 fan :)

@spazzme: I appreciate the suggestions. That reel is actually one of my all-time favorites. I think in the near future I'll certainly do another magic tutorial. I wanted to give some space since I did the AoE Ground Attack video last year to cover more topics. Thanks again!
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@spazzme: I appreciate the suggestions. That reel is actually one of my all-time favorites. I think in the near future I'll certainly do another magic tutorial. I wanted to give some space since I did the AoE Ground Attack video last year to cover more topics. Thanks again!
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work, I just got done playing injustice and its nice to see a name behind the fx. The nightwing one has to be my favorite. Congrats on an awesome reel!
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kenny! It really was a blast being able to make FX for superheroes. There's actually a lot more I did before I left NetherRealm halfway through Injustice (about October 2012), but I didn't get a chance to get captures of my work. There were some really cool things for Catwoman & the Joker that I would love to add to my reel.
  • Spazzme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX wrote: »

I would love that!
    You are so god both in your tutorials and the ones over at 3D motive!
    I was thinking you maybe could do a series of smaller spells or something :)

I would love to see some Joker and Catwoman ones!
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the suggestions! And I'm glad you like my tutorials :)
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to do a minor update and add some new work to this, just use the original video up top to see the new content. Thanks!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    this is madness!
    fx is something - along with audio, that I take way for granted in games. it's there, it's flashy and bad ass, but my eyes favor the other stuff you know.. heh :)

love how you present the MK/DC stuff, the breakdowns are perfect and are not only good for mom, to help her understand, but also the top hats who'll be looking at this!

excellent job!
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! It's funny you should make the mom comment. I always tell other FX artists that their reels should be straight forward enough for my mom to understand what work you contributed to a project.

I feel like I'm opening the doors for "your mom" jokes now . . .

:poly124: