Home Technical Talk

Need Help Building A Stable System For Maya/Max And After Effects@2560x1440

My System consists of a 512Mb GTS250,8Gb System Ram and an i7 3930k and DX79TO motherboard.

I want to know if this would be enough to use softwares like Maya,Max,Aftereffects and other similar video editing softwares on a 2560x1440 monitor like the HP U2713H and U2713HM or the Hp ZR2740w v2(still deciding which one to get.Open to PLS screens too)

Is anyone using current generation Geforce cards like the GTX 660Ti with these softwares?How does it perform.

How do the AMD ATI cards fare with these softwares.Here the HD7870 fits in.How is the performance with the softwares I have listed.

If I go for a Radeon card, could I retain my GTS 250 for PhysX.

Thanks everyone

Replies

• gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would try to get a gtx if you can with over a gig of ram but 512 still works just fine, basically any modern geforce card at the upper end gtx etc will do fine for maya. 8 gig or ram is still ok also unless you have a specific understanding of what you need more ram for. i did not speck your mobo but most halfway decent mid range will work.

you might want to get 2 hard drives. one small ssd to run your software and the os and a huge sata to keep your files and work on.
  • Kroeger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply

WIll my 512Mb GTS250 be enough for MAYA/MAX and After Effects at 2560x1440 resolution?

I have read that the 600 series lacks in Maya/Max.What's your take on that?
  • Kroeger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone used either the 660ti or the HD7870 with Maya/Max, After effects, Mocha,Real flow, Pftrack etc?

Please post your views.

Thanks
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I'm using GTX580's, SLI makes no difference but the performance in Max and AE is fine for me, since the 600 series are based on 500 series tech I don't see them being any different.
    I'd go for something with a decent amount of Vram at that resolution as if anything that will be your limiting factor. 1.5-2gb vram on the graphics card will be more then enough. 512mb might be fine, but I would imagine if you've got a complex scene in Max/Maya with some complex shaders then things might start to get choppy.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I'm liking my new cheapish Gigabyte GTX660 (2GB). Works fine with Max, is quiet, runs games well. Should be available online for around 170 Euros.
  • Kroeger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium wrote: »
    I'm using GTX580's, SLI makes no difference but the performance in Max and AE is fine for me, since the 600 series are based on 500 series tech I don't see them being any different.
    I'd go for something with a decent amount of Vram at that resolution as if anything that will be your limiting factor. 1.5-2gb vram on the graphics card will be more then enough. 512mb might be fine, but I would imagine if you've got a complex scene in Max/Maya with some complex shaders then things might start to get choppy.
    cptSwing wrote: »
    I'm liking my new cheapish Gigabyte GTX660 (2GB). Works fine with Max, is quiet, runs games well. Should be available online for around 170 Euros.

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard that the 660 falls behind at 2560x1440 because of its 192 bit memory interface.

What about the news of Nvidia crippling the 400,500,600 series consumer cards when it comes to Maya/Max.

If you had to recommend a Quadro or Firepro card at the same price range as the HD7870 or GTX660Ti which would it be?

Thanks again.