Home Technical Talk

Skin Modifier Issue (Max 2013)

Production_Skinning_Issue_zps9db0eb5a.gif

Hey guys,

So I've hit another problem with this project, woo.

As you can see, the bone envelopes are not displaying the influence they're having on the vertices of the mesh, they should be coloured, in the same way that soft selection is coloured, correct?

I click on an envelope and nothing shows. I've tried all the display options I can think of and, nothing.

Hope someone could help here!

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    Try disabling x-ray mode on the dinosaur mesh and see if the problem persists!

When you go into edit envelopes - vertices selection mode and select a bone on the bones rollout, does it have this problem as well or does it work fine?
  • Helixos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fonfa wrote: »
    Try disabling x-ray mode on the dinosaur mesh and see if the problem persists!

When you go into edit envelopes - vertices selection mode and select a bone on the bones rollout, does it have this problem as well or does it work fine?

Ah. That did work :P Thank you!

I will ask though, how can I achieve this effect ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCRbjzXfNTw"]CAT Tutorial: (Ch2 : Skin) - Creating Character Rigs for UDK(Unreal) using CAT in 3dsMax2011 - YouTube[/ame]), where the mesh is see through and the verts themselves are coloured, rather than the mesh faces?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    You have to uncheck "Show Colored Faces" on the display rollout inside Skin. If that's checked, the faces are colored instead of the vertices.

And if you want to have the mesh see-through and still see the colored faces, right click on the mesh, Object properties, Rendering Control and set a lower visibility value. This should work!
  • Helixos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem sorted! Infinite thanks! :D
  • Helixos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOT ANOTHER PROBLEM! Noooo! Skinning is not fun :(

One of my leg envelopes has some bleeding onto the belly, so naturally I go to scrub out the troublesome area with the paint weights tool but it just WILL NOT GO.

It looks fully weighted as well, a bright red patch.

Hope someone can help! :(
  • Bruno Afonseca
    If you're having trouble weighting certain vertices, you can turn off "normalize" so you can set values for bones without altering the others. Make sure you check it back again!
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, I just wrote this in another thread:
    Hey, just wanted to stop in and say that in 3dsmax, without a doubt, ever since I discovered it, I always use this tool:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/autoweight-automatic-skinning-tool-for-3ds-max
    It works great on any bones in 3dsmax. Check the site for the youtube tutorial URL. I can't live without this script!

Might be useful to take a look at that script, it simplifies a lot of things with 3dsmax and skinning/weights.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind wrong thread.
  • Helixos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Production_Skinning_Issue_2_zps04d3efac.gif

(Open image in new tab to see animation)

This illustrates the problem I was talking about. If I re-skin the mesh, the problem areas flit around the model, e.g. it's happening on the back of the leg now.
    fonfa wrote: »
    If you're having trouble weighting certain vertices, you can turn off "normalize" so you can set values for bones without altering the others. Make sure you check it back again!

When you say 'normalize', do you mean the 'draw normal' checkbox in the display options?
    Memory wrote: »
    Hey, I just wrote this in another thread:

Might be useful to take a look at that script, it simplifies a lot of things with 3dsmax and skinning/weights.

That looks interesting. Maybe it'll help me here... I'd just like to know why it's doing it though!
  • Mrfred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfred polycounter lvl 4
    because those verts are not assigned to something else
    assign them to calf bone give them 0.1 then select the thigh bone and change the weithing to zero.
    the 0.1 weight will change to 1.0
    Voila ;)
    Max is simply preventing you from having unassigned verts. You're trying to assign a 0 weight on 2 verts that are only assigned to this bone.
  • Helixos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfred wrote: »
    because those verts are not assigned to something else
    assign them to calf bone give them 0.1 then select the thigh bone and change the weithing to zero.
    the 0.1 weight will change to 1.0
    Voila ;)
    Max is simply preventing you from having unassigned verts. You're trying to assign a 0 weight on 2 verts that are only assigned to this bone.

I love you, man. I completely understand now. Thanks ever so much! :)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    There's a little box on the skin rollout that says "Normalize". If you uncheck that, it allows you to go below or above 1 on the total weights, which gives you nasty results, BUT doesn't reassign weights automatically. Might be useful