Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

70's - Future Gentlemen's Club {WIP}

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
aston91 polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone

I have decided to create this thread early in my development of the chosen environment so i can have a lot of critique and information for my university FYP. The purpose of this dissertation is to find out whether it is possible to create an environment in different generational periods, whilst keeping the exact structure only altering the textures. This is a very texture heavy project, this means changing every different type of map for each environment. The two time periods the environment will be placed in will be the 1970's (Past Scene) and 2040 (Future Scene) and the selected environment will be a Night/Gentlemens club. I have loosley based it on the vixen club in Hitman Absolution.

Here is some early progress:

1-1_zpsb44126e8.jpg

2-2_zpsf5f98bd7.jpg

3-1_zpsa17a0d6b.jpg

4-1_zpsb9ad1dee.jpg

[IMG][/img]5-1_zpsca71f8c0.jpg

Replies

• aston91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More Progress with basic Lighting

update1_zps811c503f.jpg[/IMG]

update2_zps3b78bac4.jpg

[IMG][/img]update3_zps71befea7.jpg

update4_zps3b8501cd.jpg

update5_zps13b13246.jpg

update6_zps0555ddfd.jpg

update7_zps946bef4d.jpg

update8_zpsb2cfc9c4.jpg

update9_zps1aa2646a.jpg
  • tweekedgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tweekedgirl polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Aston, really nice start to this and also interesting idea for your project. One thing that stands out to me is that the stools/table aren't the right size when compared to the railings (looking at the 4th pic in your latest post). Kinda get the feeling that if someone was stood up next to those railings they would only be knee high. Would also look nice with some variation in the textures with vertex painting/decals ect. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The floor seems barren at the moment - the owners like to pack as many tables as possible to increase the cash flow.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting a "Duke Nuke'em" theme feeling when I'm looking at these screenshots. Wouldn't a Crushed red velvet texture for the hallways and portions of the club be more to the style of the late 20th century Disco/Gentlemen's Club? Also, maybe a few Booth table/seats in the corners and a variety of couchs for patrons and their lapdancing hostesses as well? The ceiling would look good with a few chandaliers in a sequences set of 4 in each room and maybe 2 in the hallways. Just my veiws and feedback suggestions.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parralax polycounter lvl 4
    On the second image you cannot really see the stairs (health and safety inspector won't be happy) also the walls in the main area are quite bare I suggest adding some posters or curtains to simulate private rooms.
  • aston91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome feedback guys! really appreciate it. Having to do two scenes has took a lot of time doing all the textures twice so i will eventually get round to these changes, i just needed to make the future scene first so i could have a look at both in full and see what drastically needs changing and so fourth. Here is some Progress on my future scene.

future1_zps7f5545b8.jpg

future2_zpsc99aafda.jpg

future3_zps0f569a59.jpg

future4_zps8cad26d0.jpg

future5_zps6ccc0b8b.jpg

future6_zps2e29e0d0.jpg

future7_zps7c0f7064.jpg

future8_zps4d3c6ef3.jpg

future9_zpsbdc87632.jpg
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parralax polycounter lvl 4
    The change in styles works well and the future scene has a lot of potential once it has been lit and the specular maps have been done for it.

I would say that the stools look a little too small for people to sit on but I understand that you want to get the textures created before you optimize the scene.

I would be aware of how much grey you are using in the future scene because it could end up looking like a factory/warehouse, unless that is the look you are going for.
  • aston91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey parralax, yeah i know what you mean its just hard to get an insight to what it would look like in 40 years time. Here are some updates with better lighting and emmisive maps added, looks a lot more futuristic.

new7_zpsab6c31cf.jpg

new6_zpsd487c816.jpg

new5_zps519b5fd0.jpg

new4_zps272ed0ee.jpg

new3_zps3423fd2d.jpg
  • aston91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also more of the 70's scene updates, tables bottles lights and speakers added to fill the scene.

new1_zps7a8e19ac.jpg

new2_zpsa76b7fa7.jpg
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    The design suffers too much from game proportions. By this, I mean early on in game development, the geometry engines and movement code wasn't that sophisticated, so all the environments had these areas that were bigger and more open than reality. It also worked because game models tended by be big and chunky.

The same still happens today with AAA games, but they hide it better.

Go look at actual pictures of night clubs and you'll see that they tend to pack a lot of stuff in there. Places like that want a lot more tables and places to sit. More tables and chairs means more potential money.
  • aston91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vertrucio, yeah defiantly agree see it in so many games. I've added booths around the club so the place has more seated areas. In progress of making more assets now will update later today with some screens.
  • aston91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress - Into the Final stages of my 70's environment, added advanced lighting and filled out the scene just like the feedback suggested.

1-1_zps94f90672.jpg

2-2_zpsb1888a01.jpg

3-1_zps4ee9b090.jpg

14_zpse47fa550.jpg

15_zpscf8cf8a9.jpg

16_zpsd5fc8617.jpg

13_zpsf30fa074.jpg

8-1_zps71039517.jpg

10_zps725a4333.jpg
  • Mr.Ninjin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Ninjin polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really interesting so far!
    I think it would look really great with some post processing and specular maps when you get further into the project! :)
    Good luck!