Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to retoplogizing heads, any advice?

This is about where I got so far. I'm attempting to go for a video game character, around 8k triangles, and I was wondering if anyone could offer some critiques or even some advice.

So the first question is, how are my edge loops? Are they good? Shitty? Mediocre? Any advice on them.

My second question might be geared more towards 3d-coat users. How come when I sometimes smooth the edge loops out, they go into the actual mesh and stop sticking to the surface? You can see in the second and third picture what I mean by this.

Thanks for everyones help!

Hm5N3Ab.png
yZ2kFrp.jpg
n1dyjyY.jpg

Replies

• RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see this get posted quite a bit. Hopefully something helpful in there.
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RMeeks wrote: »
    I see this get posted quite a bit. Hopefully something helpful in there.

3K1Mc8q.jpg

Wow this wiki is fucking great, what I needed!

Now as far as 3d coat, does anyone know why some of the verticies don't stick to the surface?
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just had an idea on that, though I have never used 3dcoat. It could be that your symmetry isn't exact.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    It's a good start, I would say you need to try for even quads around most of the face and define edge loops around the laughing lines that go across the centre of the nose and under the chin so it's one big loop and then same for the mouth where there are clear edge loops that mimic the underlying muscles. This is for animators benefits as its easier to weight through edgeloops selection and also helps in deformation terms. I try to keep it all quads in these areas and then you can put some cheeky tris around everywhere else if need be.

Hope it helps :)
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I made a quick paint-over for you (sorry if it's messy).

Right now you have a lot of edgeloops that aren't doing anything, you should try to get the rings around the eyes and mouth or you're gonna get some nasty deformations when you animate.

Even quads would be good but depending on what you're doing you might need more mesh in certain areas than others.
    If I were you I'd cut that poly count in half and try getting the edge flow right - then add more if you want.

topofeedback.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Welcome to the forum, Alex!