Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Where Mechs are Built

Hey Guys,

I'm starting a new scene with this concept that I liked and planned to integrate on my previous environment, but could not afford the poly count it would require.

Anyways, here is the concept and my work so far. It is still on 3dsMax/Vray, but I plan on moving this to UDK asap.

concept.jpg
previewMechWarehouse.jpg

Although I'm not aiming at a 100% copy, I'm going to try and keep close to the original. There are already a few differences, and some will be fixed on my next time working on it.

I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts about it.

All the best,

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Is that in UDK or Max?
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

That is still on Max. I need to move to UDK, what I plan to do before doing more assets to it.
  • stanley82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stanley82 polycounter lvl 7
    Im looking forward next steps :)
  • tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great! You're going to include the mecha in the scene?
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WEll, my plan is to include. I dont think it will be the same one tho.

I have a mecha started that I would like to put.

Now I just got find the time and do this. ;)
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    I like where this is going...

Don't suppose I could bug you for a source on that concept image?
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

no worries, the concept is from Susan Luo (http://conceptartworld.com/?p=10087)

she has a nice POV of things.
  • DiegoMinguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

Good start! Did you already think how you are going to do it? Modular pieces, tileable textures, master/instance materials...

I'll keep an eye on this.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Diego,

Well, the walkways I got them on alpha stage already, they are modular, but the texture is not on par with my taste. I will try and give it a revamp asap.

The support columns are already modular and the ceiling struts will be made modular.

the rest, I did not really think yet. But I cant see much repetition on floor/other components. I'm sure the platform can be made as 1 corner + 1 strip piece, but the rest is not really that "tileable" I will try to do some more studies for it.

Here is the first pass on the walkways. I believe I will raise the rails a tad and put another one in-between. I'm not really happy as it is now.
    udkWalkway.jpg

I will post my progress as soon as I have something.

Tnx for the comments.

Cheers.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there,

I've been working a little on the columns doing the high poly to bake from.

I tried to go "modular" with 3 main components that I can combine for all the different usages: Columns, the base and the support brace that is going to be used with the walkways and the "joint" piece that will cover the seam between different column modules.

columnHP.jpg

Crits are welcomed!
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metal Gear, could it be true?
    The Ramp and the catwalks, It looks exactly like the hanger Metal Gear Rex was stored in
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Blenderer,

Funny you mention that, because honestly, I never touched Metal Gear (what in part is a shame since I should have). But indeed seems like the concept art was made for Metal Gear, since I agree that the layout is just like the Hangar on MG.

But...for the record, I'm doing it based on the concept, not on the game.

Funny tho. thanks for pointing that out.
  • DiegoMinguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Leo,

Walkways and columns look very good, waiting to see them with final textures.

As for the walkways, maybe putting glass on the sides would look more interesting, as you can play more with the shader, put reflections, etc.

Keep up!
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I just did another High poly thing. I'm a bit..hum...not in the mood for a low poly baking process atm, so I'm trying to do more High poly for now.

I did this hoist/industrial crane, which fits on the environment nicely. I still have to do the cable hangers and a few other details.

HoistHP.jpg
    HoistHP2.jpg

Lemme know what you think.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    oh oh, your flexing your muscles, lovely ...
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

warehouse_15_04.jpg
    After a night of work, I managed to get some stuff done...
    Lets start the list:
    1. Mecha: Concept done by Karanak, althogh I won't do the same body as seen on the concept/on my block. I had this started and wanted to incorporate on the scene, since I guess people come on my thread expecting to see a Mech.
    2. Little Carrier Tractor: Concept by...XYZ Corp. Just got a photo on google and did based on it. Still some modeling to do on it, specially on the back.
    3. Did the "final" stairs, using the same texture of the walkway.

And now, you gotta ask...when are you going to do Lowpoly? well, I have to start soon, but for the time being I will keep populating the scene in 3dsMax.

I'm looking forward to comments and crits on what I'm doing. This is a personal piece that I really want to get right and try to get a job, family needs me.

Thanks for passing by.

Cheers.
  • CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    pretty awesome so far
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Yet another prop, a high poly mobile lift from XYZ Corp. Same process of the Carrier tractor, got an image on the web, and did the model from it.

mobileLift1.jpg
    mobileLift2.jpg
    mobileLift3.jpg
    mobileLift4.jpg

Cheers.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw, you're not going with the bipedal design?
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    That concept reminds me of where Megatron was held in the first movie.

Looks nice!
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

@Weirdboy: No, I'm not going to do the mecha as on the concept. at least not now.

Thanks Brygelsmack.

I will try to post some new props I've done later on.

Cheer and tnx for the comments.
  • tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's high poly are fantastic, do you use 3dmax for high poly too?
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi tulkas,

Tnx! I'm glad you like, it is all 3dsMax 2011.

Cheers.
  • VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very impressive. Love how you are doing your own thing, yet still using the concept for basic structure. Now do you do all high poly and then low poly, or finish both the high and low poly for each model each time? Just wondering as I'm new to the high/low poly technique.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Vesius,

Thanks for the compliments!

Well, I guess the "theory" and what most do, is to do a Asset-centric workflow. This means, do high poly, low poly, bake and texture. Then put on the Engine.

But..I'm not in the mood to do the low-poly, UV and bake process... so instead of fighting against myself, I'm just doing high-poly stuff at the moment.

then I will inevitably need to do the low poly versions. hehe

I'm still doing everything on its own, and then merging on the main scene. My intention is to render this on Vray and then move to UDK and do it there again. Is it twice the amount of work? prolly, but I want a high-res version rendered nicely. ;)

Cheers.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone!

Another element for the environment done in Highpoly.
    This time a XYZ Energy generator. Somehow, I've been told by the Poly-god that this thing will output 1GW, and the entire warehouse consumes about 3GW...so I will chain them in 3 and fence the thing as soon as possible.
    The 4 pipes that are pointing upwards, will be connected to other pipes on the environment.;)

energyGenerator.jpg
    energyGenerator2.jpg
    energyGenerator3.jpg

I hope you like!
    Crits and comments are welcome!
  • Parth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parth polycounter lvl 10
    I love this. Are you modelling this from some reference?
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This high poly stuff is looking great.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

Tnx!

As for modeling from references. Depends. If you are referring to image planes, no.
    All the models were done eye balling from photos. The Energy generator is the one that I did almost entirely by imagination, but the original shape (cylinder on "legs") is vaguely similar to a Siemens generator photo I spotted.

I hope I can post some new models soon.

Thanks for passing by.

Cheers!
  • VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great, thanks for the response.
  • Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    wow, your stuff is looking great. I'm curious, how will you go about creating your low poly geo when the time comes? Will you essentially model the low poly forms around everything, then uv and bake? Or do you use a specific retopology tool?

Also, subscribing :)
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there.

AS for the High>Low workflow, it trully depends. Majority of the forms on these high-poly models can be created with primitives. So, as far I have thought, I will be manually doing the low polys.

To give an example, the Generator is currently around 750K polys, no subdivision at all, modeled from primitives, but the vast majority of the polys are on the smaller details (bolts and what not), which can simply be removed.

The vehicles have such simple forms, that can also be quickly done by box modeling.

I think that retopology tools are more convenient when doing organic shapes.

Below I'm adding the wire frames for the models, so you can see that the majority of the polys are on the small details. The perfect example would be the Carrier Tractor, which sums 443K polys, but only the tires sum 393K.

energyGeneratorWires.jpg
    mobileLiftWires.jpg
    carrierTractorWires.jpg

Cheers.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Just a quick update... a couple of shots of the robot alone. I will try to finish it today and post more images.

robot.jpg
    robot2.jpg
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

could not work a whole lot on the robot, but I was able to update it a bit.
    robot3.jpg

C&Cs are welcome.

Cheers
  • The_Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your work is looking awesome! nothing really to crit yet, your scene is shaping up nicely
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the comments and motivational support. :)

I'm sending some progress on the mecha. I'm not 100% happy with it, but..... it will do for now I guess.

robot4.jpg
    robot5.jpg
    robot6.jpg
    robot7.jpg

I'm looking forward to your comments and tips on how to improve this.

Tnx for passing by.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And for those who like to see the naked truth and its uglyness...

robot8.jpg
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking amazing, can't wait to see it finished!

I'd definitely opt for 'stompier' looking feet designs on the mech. The current feet seem a bit dainty for the over bulky feel of it. Feet like this example might be a better fit?
    Combat_bot_V1.jpg
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ebagg,

I hear you! It looks like you are pointing something I oversaw. The original concept was as is, but..the body was totally different on the concept.

So yea.. the feet look off.

Tnx.

I will get something going lets see what I can crank.

Cheers!
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there,

Not sure if I like this one better, perhaps we should host a feet and shoe contest. lol

robot9.jpg
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Fantastic modeling. Gives me a headache just thinking about how long it would have taken to model. :P
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    This is turning out to be awesome. The new feet look much better, good call. :)
  • DiegoMinguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Leo,

Great stuff! This high poly modeling is really good. Nothing to say about it.

Waiting to see more progress and the low version.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the compliments.

Just for curiosity, the mecha took me:
    1 Day for guns
    1 Day for lower body and legs
    1 Day for everything else.

So, I guess not that much. I'm not sure if I'm fast or slow, but as long as I'm happy.. thats the point.

Now..to get this thing on a low poly...will be a nightmare. At the moment, it has 1mi hand-modeled polys...so I wonder how much I will have to remove just to make it low enough.

Anyhow, thanks everyone. Its being a nice process. :)

I will post some new stuff when I can.

Cheers!
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I added a few bits and pieces on the legs, and I also noticed that previous leg design objects were still on the scene when I rendered the last image, so here is what I'm calling "final".

robot10.jpg

Looking forward to your comments and critics on this. I will keep working to other pieces of the env. ;)
  • tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing details. The only thing I can critk is that the mecha it is not so taller as the mecha in the concept, if you keep the height of the environment maybe it is going to be a bit weird( much empty space over the mecha).

You are using alphas in 3dmax? Or just turbosmooth and nothing more?
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Tulkas,

While the mecha is not proportionally equal to the one on the concept, its big enough, I guess. perhaps I will need to change the camera a bit, but I think it will work. I think that the fact that I added a Hoist on the top, helps to fill the empty space. I will update the main scene and see how it looks. :)

No turbosmooth, no alpha, just raw polys. The only 2 parts that used subdivision are the panel on the leg that has the 3 "-" bevels and the cylinder that connects the leg on the body. The rest is basically made of raw polys + chamfers here and there.

Here is the wireframe as it stands.
    robotWires.jpg
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I wanted to put everything on the scene to check out how its looking all together.
    I added a fence around the generator, some misc small things like the grills. The next time I touch this, I better be doing lowpoly, cause the scene is super heavy already.

Here is the result, I hope you all enjoy.

warehouse_22_04.jpg

C&Cs?

salute!

btw..are all images showing properly? Gamma-wise.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    this look great , it's remind me of metal gear solid :)
    are you using a skylight for the lighting ?
    you should get thing move into UDK

can't wait to see more :)
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ayoub44,

Tnx for the comments.

I'm using only vray lights at, they are those white and yellow/orange spots you see.

cheers