Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio review [Character art]

Hey guys, its been pretty much forever since I've put my art out here on the board. I was just recently let go from my job as well and was working on the retail game "insurgency". So I've made a new portfolio, I've probably looked at it too much to tell my own weaknesses. But hope some or many of you could rip it apart if it needs it, and tell me what you find about it good or bad?

- Portfolio Site

Cheers!

PS - I'm looking for work! :)

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    No Spec or Gloss maps?
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    No Spec or Gloss maps?
    There were "exponent" greyscaled spec maps applied in the normal alpha channels of the ins models. I could make a thumb for those if that's what you mean?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yeah! i think it would help a lot. It shows your understanding of materials.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the things that annoys me about most idle rifle animations is the unnatural bend in the wrist. I'm not singling you out - it's so common as to appear universal, but it's still wrong. Try it yourself - hold a rifle (or rifle-shaped object) in a similar pose - you'll notice that your wrist is straight, or almost so; trying to hold the weapon in the pose commonly seen is uncomfortable and awkward. IK solvers are nice, but they need tweaking to get realistic results; at times I wonder if it wouldn't be better to eliminate the wrist bone, or at least severely limit its range of motion...

img_ins_med.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb3Q2yWnZ8_3MMx-BGCaQ5Uz2MO5QVoxYVNLtn-_mJRQcx8JY3
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    i like it. great work and it shows you work on your stuff a lot :)
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    One of the things that annoys me about most idle rifle animations is the unnatural bend in the wrist. I'm not singling you out - it's so common as to appear universal, but it's still wrong. Try it yourself - hold a rifle (or rifle-shaped object) in a similar pose - you'll notice that your wrist is straight, or almost so; trying to hold the weapon in the pose commonly seen is uncomfortable and awkward. IK solvers are nice, but they need tweaking to get realistic results; at times I wonder if it wouldn't be better to eliminate the wrist bone, or at least severely limit its range of motion...

img_ins_med.png

For this I have no control over :/
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    DWalker wrote: »

img_ins_med.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb3Q2yWnZ8_3MMx-BGCaQ5Uz2MO5QVoxYVNLtn-_mJRQcx8JY3

actually,i bedn my wrist like that all the time, I was in the army for 6 years, 13 months from that i spent in Iraq where my weapon was my life and i carried it every single day for the duration of my time. its about 7 lbs with a full clip if im not mistaken, its not much but when you carry it for hours and hours you get tired, i would let it sit just like the image because most of the time it would feel nice because my wrist would "sorta support" the weight of it. its hard to explain but it helped me and it was comfortable and natural in my opinion.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    No Spec or Gloss maps?

They should now all be up and added. Thanks again for the feedback!