Home Technical Talk

Environment for mobile

Hi!
Some time ago i opened a thread where recommended polycount / texture size for mobile game characters was discussed.

I have the same question about environment. Here is an example:
comgameloftmoderncombat4-1-1.jpg

what do u think, what size of textures / how many poly was used per
-palm tree
-building
-for the car

if u have any experience / info regarding mobile environments budget please share it.

Replies

• SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    It's still the same: It varies to your needs and to the engine you're gonna use. There are no fix values just some get-close stuff ^^

Here's an Info page from CryEngine: http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC3/Character+Budgets

Maybe you can get an idea of such things with their values ;) (I would guess others have lower values as CE is a powerful engine and can handle more)

Also mobile would be lower than consoles, but not that much. Smartphones are pretty awesome and kinda better than some PCs ^^ Depends on how many people you want and what phones they use :P (some infos: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/139913-Limitations-of-mobile-devices)

Best you can do is.. try try try ^^
  • npfargp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sly!
    -my choise of engine would be unity3d.
    -the cry engine link is interresting but its for characters, and for PC.
    Best you can do is.. try try try ^^
    I know, but i could save myself some "try", if i see some estimation on this concrete scene.

Im gonna ask it on the unity forum too, maybe they can give me some engine specific advice.

thanks anyway
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    Is it me or is the little wall to the right have inverted normals?
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I think first of all,
    you'd have to decide whether you want to go for the majority of
    devices or the more high-end ones.

In terms of android there's a lot of cheap hardware used
    that certainly isn't capable of 'console-quality' graphics.

If you're going for Unity, there's lots of information available.
    Here you can download a level from Shadowgun:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2012/03/23/shadowgun-optimizing-for-mobile-sample-level/

You can have an idea on how things are done to optimize
    a level for a mobile device learning from it.
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    npfargp wrote: »
    Thanks Sly!
    -my choise of engine would be unity3d.
    -the cry engine link is interresting but its for characters, and for PC.

there are also console values, under the pc ones ;)
    npfargp wrote: »
    I know, but i could save myself some "try", if i see some estimation on this concrete scene.

Im gonna ask it on the unity forum too, maybe they can give me some engine specific advice.

thanks anyway

the second link sends you to a forum thread about this kinda topic, so you have some starting point there ;) The main problem is like the one above mentioned, you need to know what majority is using your game, and what hardware they could have. I guess basic would be a dual core smartphone.
  • npfargp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for your inputs!
    As a practice i started to rebuild the scene. i try to achive the exact same quailty, im not conserned yet on which device gonna run it smoothly.
    i have modeled the facade of the redish building on the left. just some cut and extrude on a plane, very simple.

2wny23c.jpg

What texture size should u use? the columns (red) are repated, the painting (blue) too. there must be some space for the balcony, the deco element (yellow) and the ac (white). The first floor (green) has a door and 2 windows, there is the white door and at least two different kind of windows.