Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diesel Punk Detective

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MercurialForge polycounter lvl 11
Calling it done:

Emery05.jpg

No longer going for a detective look, looking at a more general dieselpunk heroine.

Hey folks bring this WIP over here for some feedback and thoughts. I'm working on a diesel punk detective and I'm fighting the design a lot right now. Trying to get a classic looks without being too safe.

Reference Pages:
Emery_RefSheet1.jpg

Emery_RefSheet2.jpg

Just playing with hair styles. I love the classic looks but also trying the more contemporary styles.
Emery01.jpg

Replies

• MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progress on the character so far. Will be getting into the clothing and details now.
    Emery02.jpg
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update. Gonna probably redo the folds on the boots, redo and expand parts of the holster belts and possibly add some bandages to her arms or look into mechanical arms in more detail.

[IMG lost][/img]
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    really nice, both the concept and the execution!
    but do you have some refs for those boots? not sure what kind of boots look like that...

also maybe she looks a bit military-looking in the latest pic... it looks more like somekind of agent than a detective in casual clothes. some of the other concepts with shirt hanging out and untidy tie looks more like an detective to me.

also you totally have to make her that dieselpunk hoverbike, along with classical leather pilot hat and goggles!
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    @stickadtroja thanks for the feedback and ideas! Yeah a lot changed, she looked so plain when I modeled her original outfit I just new I had to make her cooler.

I kept most of the original details but added some more dieselpunk features like the hook belt, vest and knee high boots. I completely redid the boots and holster because I wasn't using reference on the boots. I have some new reference for it all so it should look much better tonight when I finish the sculpt.

I do plan on modeling some kind of Dieselpunk motorbike since I haven't done any serious hard surface work in a long time. So it might be a good idea to add the goggles around her neck and maybe add some gloves. I'll have to try it out.

[IMG lost][/img]
  • whw
    Really liked the concepts and moodboard so it's ashame she's beginning to give off that Angelina Jolie "Space Captain" vibe sans eyepatch. Not detective at all.

The braces, shirt tail, hat, and tie would be elements worth putting back into your model. The mechanical arm could still work so definitely see what details would work.
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Move the gun off her hip, and up to where you see most detectives and plainclothes cops wear it, on a shoulder holster.

As above, hip carry tends to be seen as for (ex)military types and adventurers. While she may be an adventurer, you also wanted to emphasize her as being a detective.

Perhaps a few more wrinkles and lines in that cute face she's got? People think of detectives as hard boiled, they've seen stuff. So while you can keep her cute, add some bit of wrinkles and sunken eyes to emphasize that she's been called to examine dead bodies and the like.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Where did you find your references? I find dieselpunk references almost impossible to come by.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Where did you find your references? I find dieselpunk references almost impossible to come by.
    here? Not as much as you would get if you were looking for, say, cyberpunk ref; but still plenty of stuff.

At the moment I'd say that your sculpted details in general are quite muddy, or too soft, and as a result of that I'm struggling to make out certain components. I'd suggest revisiting the hardsurface elements that you have, such as the buckles, belt hook thing and the holster; I just think they're all too muddy, are they built entirely in zbrush? I feel they would benefit a great deal from more refined base meshes if not.

The clothing could also do with a bit of refinement, right now your cloth sculpting in parts is a little random or too flat in some areas. I'd say the sleeves are the worst offenders, remember the cloth should really be hanging off the shoulder, and so the folds you have which cross over the shoulder wouldn't be present in most cases; instead you should have more vertical folds emanating from the shoulder which either cross under to the inside of the arm, or bunch up around the elbow.

There's a few other spots I could mention but describing this in text is tricky, so instead I'd strongly suggest that you check out this sites blog: http://www.ten24.info/?page_id=31
    Its a great resource and really useful for cloth reference.

Other than that I really like the design, it's rare you see diesel punk stuff.

Oh, and one small thing I just spotted, the larger buckle on the holster/ belt should be reversed, its currently orientated the wrong way.
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    thats beautiful. i love it
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang guys, killer feedback!

@whw: I do agree she has moved away from the typical detective look, but I felt it was too safe and modern. I wanted to try for a more dieselpunk look. She is looking a bit "sky captain" but I'm okay with this, she lives in a different world. The tie is still on the shirt under the vest she is wearing. I was thinking about a hat but I like the hairstyle and kind of want to show that off. I will be trying to work in the mechanical arms soon.

@Vertrucio: I'll do another detail pass on the face and see what I can work in. Yes things have shifted around from the original detective look, I personally felt the typical detective look was a little boring but I can give the shoulder holster a shot to test the look.

@ambershee: I use google, deviantart and pinterest.

@mazz423: Thanks for the feedback. The tips and the link for the clothing is a huge resource boon. I'll resculpt the shirt and vest tonight, and touch up the others. I see what your talking about and all the flaws are jumping out at me now. Yeah I took it away from the original detective look and want to move to a little more fantasy dieselpunk. GOOD catch on the buckle. Just to note I modeled almost everything outside zBursh. Can you be a little more specific about the muddiness of the buckles? They are all modeled with sub'divs and exported to retain their shapes. I was noticing in reference buckles are often smooth and rounded. I could go back in an refine the faceting on the buckles since they are so smooth.

@Turista: Thanks :)

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I'll take another pass at this all tonight and post the results.
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the folds and details on her. Going to have to move into lowpoly now so I don't spend too much more time on it.

Emery03.jpg
  • achillesian
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Wow this is great! Love the attention to detail that you put into the clothing.
  • Ambient Confusion
    might be a lil cliche, but i cant think of sam spade with out his fedora and a smoke hangin off his lip. But i agree that a hat would get in the way of any funky hair design stuff you wanna try out
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished her up.

I'm calling this done. I was very infatuated with the project when it began, but as it started to congeal I noticed design inconstancies that take away from the overall look. I'm happy with it, but I see many issues and mistakes and I feel the piece is still a WIP. But I'm happy with it, for being the first model I've done in a long time. It's good to be getting back into 3D.

Feeling the corrections required to save the project would require starting over, I'm going to have to call this done and move on to something new.

Emery05.jpg

Emery04.jpg
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    You should definitely finish up the hair.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Wesley wrote: »
    You should definitely finish up the hair.

Agree with this for sure. It is really distracting to have just that black mass on top of her head, compared to how awesome the rest of the model is.
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know but it takes time to get good looking hair unless I'm missing some secret trick, so I'm gonna have to cop out on this one.
  • walklikethis
    one of the best characters i have seen of late around here. So much style and weight to it. :D
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Nice!
    There's something strange about her lips though. they kinda look like lips of little kids and infants. even if it's intentional i think it went too far.

maybe this can help:
    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/07/draw-lips/
  • magmabolt
    Offline / Send Message
    magmabolt polycounter lvl 13
    very awesome design! I agree with blaisoid, I think the lower lip is a bit too strait along the base, if it had just a bit more of a curve it would look much better. Even still though, really awesome character :D
  • Toskineuro
    Offline / Send Message
    Toskineuro polycounter lvl 4
    Really cool character. The leather parts are very well done IMHO.

+1 for the hair and lips.
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Lovely face and chara design ! direct in inspiration folder !
  • MercurialForge
    Offline / Send Message
    @walklikethis: Thanks!

@Blaisoid: I see that now, thanks for the tips. The lip are like that because I tried unwrapping the lips from the face. It's a trick I like to call f***ing it up. :(

@magmabolt: I totally agree bro! Thanks.

@Toskineuro: Thanks, I started there and started to lose steam on the way out. I'm planning to come back in a few weeks and finish everything up more for a final pass. But I'm happy with it thus far. I have done any 3D in quite a while!

@-Em'-: Happy to have inspired! Thanks.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Cracking piece of art there Ollie. You should be proud. Only one major item is missing.... The badge ;)