Home Technical Talk

What you think of the new Cintiqs?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
The new Cintiq 13 HD , what are your toughts about it ? is it good for working ? too small ? what you think?

http://cintiq13hd.wacom.com/en

and how about the upcoming portable new Cintiq coming this summer?

https://www.facebook.com/Wacom/posts/10151269211541691

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks promising. My main complaint with the 12WX was the low resolution and dull screen.

That and the "gap" between the stylus contact point on the glass and the display screen itself. I found it really offputting.

Sounds like they've solved 2 of those 3... hopefully lessened the third.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That standalone unit sounds really interesting. A proper tablet computer from Wacom would REALLY be intriguing for me...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Does someone knows any more informations on the release dates and specs ofthe wireless one?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I'll be ordering one once they become available.

Aside from the usual over priced hardware, I cant think of any reason why the 13hd isnt a great improvement. The form factor makes it portable and light weight. The smaller size might be an issue, but portability and intuos like workflow will be a nice addition if not a replacement to my 20wsx.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    You think the 13" could be unconfortable or an issue?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA wrote: »
    You think the 13" could be unconfortable or an issue?

Not at all. It will probably be one of the MOST comfortable cintiqs made. It can be flat on the desk like an intuos, which is great for modeling in 3d (looking primarily at high quality desktop monitor, it can be propped up at 3 different angles and slide right onto your lap. If you have a portable pc (like the microsoft surface pro), it can go with you anywhere. Sitting with the same posture at a desk for hours on end can kind of dull the process of making digital content...but being able to mix it around depending on the mood is a nice touch.

With a laptop at home I could just lay in bed and get some work done as well if need be. In short, it looks far more comfortable and versatile than previous cintiqs...which will be a nice change.

I'm not too worried though because no matter what I have a full sized cintiq to fall back on... but given how I use an intuos...a screen based version can only be a good thing.

just my 2cents.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    but do you think that 13 " is a good space to wrk with ?
  • XilenceX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XilenceX polycounter lvl 10
    Given that its active area is almost twice as big as the Bamboo Pen&Touch I've been using for like 2 years I don't worry about the size much. I'll definitely be buying this as I have been waiting for a new version of the 12wx all this time!
    I almost bought one of the Yiynova 10" ones before the wacom 13" was announced so this will be an upgrade in size for sure.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    Its using an IPS panel, those things are beeaauutiful, if only I wasnt a poor student =P
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    why do you want a cintiq?
    if you want to make textures then you can largely ignore the rest of this post

if you want to draw and paint lovely pictures then it might be useful...

personally i find the 12 and now 13 inch cintiqs a bit of an awkward proposition
    I've always been perfectly happy on the A5 intuos tablets but i find painting directly on the screen a different proposition and need more space.

i have 8", 10" and 12" wacom based tablet pcs and a 22" cintiq. the only one i feel able to paint properly on is the cintiq. the others are just too small to swing a big ol brush around. they're perfect for sketching on the go but if im doing proper painting they feel cramped.

for similar money to the 13" cintiq you can pick up an i5 or i7 based wacom equipped slate or convertible laptop.
    you don't get tilt or 3 billion levels of pressure on the tablet pc digitisers but its not a problem in 90% of situations.

there's a definite conflict in my mind at this price range because i feel the cintiq is heavily compromised by being so small and because its not portable you don't get the benefit of being able to sketch in bed or on the move. i don't feel it gives enough over the experience of working on a tablet pc to make it the better choice.

for half the cash the atom slates are great sketchbooks so might be worth a look.

a word of warning - do shit tonnes of research on the tablet pcs before you buy. driver issues on many of them mean no pressure sensitivity in photoshop (Samsung seem to have nailed it)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Good for the price and functionality.

Lets say you go bigger, you lose pixel density...twice the price, lack of portability. You gain more room for arm stroke based drawing and sculpting.

If good work can be done on an 8 x 11 Intuos, then it seems logical that good work can be done on a similarly sized cintiq.

You have to find out what your needs are. The form factor of the 13hd offers more diversity in its usage, and like my intuos it can easily be just as functional as my 20wsx cintiq.

If i was strictly a concept artist that stayed at home to do work, then a larger cintiq is probably better in the long run.

Mixing a 13hd with a nice secondary monitor will probably empower the generalist 3d artist who is not tied to a desk far more however.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    A word of warning about the Cintiqs : it's pretty much impossible to guess if you will like working on them or not,no matter what your needs are.

A pretty unanimous response is that they really are great for Mudbox and Zbrush sculpting (and I agree with that). However the fact that your face and eyes end up being so much closer to the screen than usual can cause dizziness.

Regarding painting : I hear that some texture artists tend to prefer regular tablets ; and when it comes to regular paintings and illustrations, the response is even more mixed. The on-screen paradigm does provide a better freehand control, but it is at the cost of precision. You basically end up sketching waaaay zoomed in, and while it can be good for certain things, it can be awkward for composition and perspective.

At least half a dozen exceptional artists that I personally know of tried the Cintiq for while but ended up reverting back to regular intuoses for these reasons. However just as many totally adopted the on-screen workflow and never looked back. Also, some alternate between the two devices depending on the need.

In short : you won't be able to tell if you'll like it simply by asking around and reading reviews :/ If you cannot borrow one to try it out extensively, your best bet would be to buy one through a seller offering a solid, no question asked return policy and simply return it if you don't like it. It can take months or years to come to a conclusion tho...

Good luck!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Just a question , but isn't possible to utilize the Cintiq also as a regular tablet?

I mean if you have the cintiq and if you are facing the texturing issues described above why not directly look at the screen and keep using the cintiq? or is something else?

perhaps the technology of the wacom is more precise?

Unfortunately when I tried the wacom I was not able to coordinate well eye and hand and not looking to what I drawed resulted pretty ankward for me ...

this is why I sold my wacom and was saving money for a cintiq ...

I looked at some 13" videos ... the surface looks rather small though and I fear that perhaps is it too small to effectively use fine? would be better perhaps a larger one like a 22 " ? I was really atracted by the wireless one with the touch ability ...
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14

Unfortunately when I tried the wacom I was not able to coordinate well eye and hand and not looking to what I drawed resulted pretty ankward for me ...

this is why I sold my wacom and was saving money for a cintiq ...

Really? How long did you try it for? I don't think i've ever met anyone who couldn't get used to a regular Wacom..
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i have been looking at getting new intuos and cintiq devices for some time now but i've had some bad experiences with more recent wacom drivers.

on XP and with intuos 1/2/3 the drivers used to be something i would set up once and forget about entirely but on my work machine and on my home mac, both requiring new-ish drivers because of either recent intuos models or recent OS versions, it's been a flaky experience.

would hate to drop money on a cintiq and then find out that the drivers are a hassle to deal with.

what's the lifespan of a cintiq hardware and the driver support like anyway? i.e. can you still use those 15-inch 1st generation cintiqs from 2003 or so on today's computers?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    thomasp wrote: »
    i have been looking at getting new intuos and cintiq devices for some time now but i've had some bad experiences with more recent wacom drivers.

on XP and with intuos 1/2/3 the drivers used to be something i would set up once and forget about entirely but on my work machine and on my home mac, both requiring new-ish drivers because of either recent intuos models or recent OS versions, it's been a flaky experience.

would hate to drop money on a cintiq and then find out that the drivers are a hassle to deal with.

what's the lifespan of a cintiq hardware and the driver support like anyway? i.e. can you still use those 15-inch 1st generation cintiqs from 2003 or so on today's computers?

recent Cintiq drivers are complete and utter shit. Some of our background artists at work have them and they had a few weeks for constant driver crashes until we reverted the driver back far enough to find a stable release.

perhaps the new releases are better.. but to be honest updating them seems like russian roulette.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I've been using the Cintiq 13HD for the better part of this week. I'm in the process of doing a more in depth review with pictures and stuff. But honestly it's the prefect Cintiq for me. I don't own a desk at home and use a laptop for work. So this is much more mobile than the previous 22HD. It also fits into the Intuos 3/4 Medium case they sell in their store too. So you can protect it that way. The pen, cables, are all improved. The buttons on the Intuos 4 were perfect and I miss the wheel. Otherwise it's great.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a question , but isn't possible to utilize the Cintiq also as a regular tablet?

absolutely. My 13hd came in awhile ago, and I was able to lay it down just like my intuos as well as propping it up like my cintiq 20wsx. Its very nice to work on, very crisp due to the high pixel density.

I did two things with it, one layed it down in front of the cintiq to have a dual display of cintiqs, the other was connect it to a microsoft surface pro which takes up barely any desk space much less power consumption. Worked great on both, offered different display to work on on the fly.

As for the rest of what you are worried about... put your fears to rest. Its very precise, more so than my other cintiq by far. Its small but not so small that its hard to work in.

mhr2v.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok thankyou , I am waiting for the one that is upcoming featuring the wireless ... Wch would be really cool...
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    A wireless Cintiq you say? You got a link to the info?
  • NAIMA
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    so compared to a regular wacom are there any advantages in terms of sculpting quality betweeen a cintiq and say an intuos 2?