Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max viewport issue

I'm using 3DSmax 2012 64x. When ever I press Alt+X to turn my objects invisible, they become all static and semi-transparent instead. I can barely see anything behind them. It's quite a hindrance. Any help?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Do you want to hide your object with that alt-x shortcut?Maybe alt-x is "freeze" your object instead of hiding.Hiding is 2 clicks btw.left, and then you can click hide selection.

edit - Tried in my max, and alt-x turns on "see-through"
  • lansay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No it's not freezing my object. The object gets some weird grainy translucent appearance. It's only been happening on this version.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The graininess is probably the real time ambient occlusion. Try turning that off.
  • lansay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checked off the ambient occlusion in my current viewport. Still looking like this :/

grainysf_by_frozen_scumbag-d609pgn.png
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this mesh aligned at the same place as the "background"? If yes, then try to move it a little forward.
  • lansay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like that regardless of where I move it.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then try to assign a new material with low opacity, instead of using see-through. I don't have more ideas :/ Or maybe one more.Try to change the shading mode from realistic to shaded
  • lansay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did that. It's still grainy but not as annoying if I turn it down to like 4% opacity. Thanks for that idea at least. Hopefully some one else may have a direct fix though.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Use either "shaded" mode instead of "Realistic" or turn on progressive refinement. The grainy transparency is a result of "Realistic" mode being essentially a progressive renderer, which refines the output over time/render passes. For editing and modelling it's best to work in "Shaded" mode, for lighting it's best to use "Realistic" mode with progressive refinement enabled. Other thant that, the grainy transparency is not going away in "realistic" mode except over several progressive refinement passes ...
  • lansay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog wrote: »
    Use either "shaded" mode instead of "Realistic" or turn on progressive refinement. The grainy transparency is a result of "Realistic" mode being essentially a progressive renderer, which refines the output over time/render passes. For editing and modelling it's best to work in "Shaded" mode, for lighting it's best to use "Realistic" mode with progressive refinement enabled. Other thant that, the grainy transparency is not going away in "realistic" mode except over several progressive refinement passes ...

aaand fixed. Thank you so much! this has been bugging me for months! I don't know why it never occurred to me to change it to shaded. Maybe because prior versions of max never had that issue.