Home General Discussion

Game of Thrones

Replies

• Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Twins are confirmed for season 3 it seems. They might be holding off on introducing too many characters near the end of a season, which makes sense, they could always introduce the twins during season 3 as Bran and the gang travel.

I'm at the end of book 4 at the moment and so I havent been AS crazy about season 2 as I was season 1, though I have to say they are doing it all justice. The Blackwater battle was very well done and for a TV show, amazing in scope. The ending of season 2 was well done too. Season 3 is going to be so fucking expensive though.. so many things, oh god I can already see the RAGE coming from TV only viewers, like say during the
    (Book Spoiler ahead) red wedding
  • uncle
    I have a problem with one thing - who did actually burn Winterefell? Greyjoy guys ( i thought there were leaving in hurry, where the hell did they go by the way?) or those who were meant to siege it(stupid)?

Oh, if the answer is in the books, please keep it guys :)
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    uncle wrote: »
    I have a problem with one thing - who did actually burn Winterefell? Greyjoy guys ( i thought there were leaving in hurry, where the hell did they go by the way?) or those who were meant to siege it(stupid)?

Oh, if the answer is in the books, please keep it guys :)
    Boltons
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    The book introduces another party, that didn't feature in the show.
  • vargatom
    Watch out everyone, huge spoilers about season 3 here ! ! !
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Read the damn books people! :D You have a year. It's a great way to get your GoT fix.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Some of us dont want to spoil the future episodes, but only discuss the current ones. If you want to discuss the books, join a book club, until then please use spoiler tags for book related stuff. :P
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    McGreed wrote: »
    Some of us dont want to spoil the future episodes, but only discuss the current ones. If you want to discuss the books, join a book club, until then please use spoiler tags for book related stuff. :P

or...

OR....

you're getting the same response i got when i said this in the walking dead threads. it's not hard to read a book, just go pick it up and get going. if anything you'll understand more about what's going on than watching the show anyway, and in my opinion it's more entertaining.

but just to be clear here. there will be spoilers, because people like to talk, and speculate, and for the guys who've read the book, it's actually quite interesting to talk about things that have been omitted or changed for the show.

P.S. white walkers \o/
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    I'd prefer if people used the spoiler tag and above that indicated whether it's a book or series spoiler. In the future too when the third season is rolling out :P
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    y'all gonna cry at the end of season 3...

just sayin'!
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    just asking...

ONE

FUCKING

YEAR?????????

i dont even know if the world is gonna be here until then, why do they take so long, oh my, WHHYYYYYYYYYY
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed wrote: »

We are using spoiler tags. Also, you are missing out on about 3/5ths of the entire story by not reading the books.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda wish they would just cut out everyone but Jon and Tyrion. Those were the bests parts of the books, and they are awesome in the show. :P

But no, author's pet Sansa needs to keep being useless. Either she's going to make it, or GRRM is going to give her the worst death possible for the hell of it.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Seriously guys it takes 3 seconds to tag something as a spoiler. Folks are watching the show as it comes out and want to talk about it. Dont ruin it all for them because your a lazy ass.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. Even for people still reading the books, use tags. You guys wouldn't like it if someone had spoiled things on you.

Also remember to tag em like this for people still reading

BOOK 5.5 SPOILER
    BOOK 5.5 SPOILER
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I really do think it wasn't a political statement. People seem to whine about anything.
  • Andreas
  • AtlusZMH
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    March 31 can`t come soon enough.
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Having only seen the show, would it be possible to jump into book 3 to get a head start on whats going to be in season 3, or are the books THAT much more complicated?
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    tottot wrote: »
    Having only seen the show, would it be possible to jump into book 3 to get a head start on whats going to be in season 3, or are the books THAT much more complicated?

Honestly, I wouldn't. Though the tv series is fairly accurate (except for that whole retarded "they took my dragons" storyline), it has diverged quite a bit from the books in terms of story lines.

The books are totally worth reading though :)
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    I was worried about that, Im just impatient, I'll stick with reading the books after having seen the show.
  • slipsius
    That dragon shot looks phenomenal
  • vargatom
    tottot wrote: »

There's a lot of stuff in the early books in particular that would put the story in a bit different light. Prophecies, flashbacks and dreams are much more important, detailed, and you can deduce a lot of the underlying mysteries if you think hard enough or discuss it on the internet.
    Book I was released in 1996, and at time Martin could not have been prepared for the fandom's collective hive mind unleashed on his quite obscure hints.

There are also many important characters introduced in Book II who were moved into season 3 of the show. So if you started on the third book, you'd find unknown people all around and if you went online to find out about them you'd inevitable get spoiled on a lot of stuff.

My advice would be to either read all the books from the start (and free up all the time you think it will require in basically one non-stop effort) or leave them alone completely. And definitely avoid wikis and fan theories ;)
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say read the books for one reason; assholes spoiling major plot events in every youtube video, facebook post etc. related to GoT. Already had it happen to me on the official GoT facebook account.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Read the books up until the point where the show leaves off on. That will catch you up with the story up to the point you know, and you can then watch the show for the rest. Also, the novel series is quite gripping. It is a well-written page-turner, and even less enthusiastic readers should find it fairly easy to work through.

Check the novels out from the library if you don't want to buy them. With the popularity of the series, most libraries will probably have multiple copies available.
  • vargatom
    They've got so much in them they're worth a second read IMHO...
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i've read through them three times now, just to make sure i've got the history correct and stuff. there really is a lot to go through!

and it's led me to some interesting conclusions regarding family bloodlines and the future of westeros.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I read the books a couple of times (they're still great every time you read them again!) but if you want to quickly catch up on what happened in a particular book then his website is really useful as there are summaries for every chapter of the books: http://towerofthehand.com/
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Starts tonight in the US (i think) and tomorrow in the UK.

FUCKIN GAME OF THRONES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KABvPbq-U

edit: is youtube embedding broken now?
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Taking out the 's' in http usually works.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KABvPbq-U"]GAME OF FUCKIN' THRONES - YouTube[/ame]
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Great episode. Not sure where the Marge and her orphans storyline came from or where its going but that was a great episode. Impeccably shot, really really strong visuals. As good or almost as good as Breaking Bad IMO, one of the very best things on television. Welcome back GoT!!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Considering it didn't end up with a whiny bitch-rant from Joffery it can go anywhere it wants:)

Pretty good first episode but damn, talk about a purple-nurple :poly122:
  • slipsius
  • Andreas
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man I didn't understand what it was until they said he would get a 1 million an episode.

I really like that GoT is back, but I think this episode was a bit to slow and showed a bit to much. If the rest of the season ends up being as busy as this episode they really need to double up the episodes to 20 instead of 10.
  • vargatom
    Andreas wrote: »
    Not sure where the Marge and her orphans storyline came from or where its going but that was a great episode.

Margaery herself is hardly present in the books, as she's not a POV character - it's mostly other people talking about her.

They've cast a relatively well-known and proficient actress on the show for the role. Also, unlike books there's a lot of difference between actually showing a character and just talking about her on TV. So it makes all kinds of sense to create more scenes for her.
  • vargatom
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    If the rest of the season ends up being as busy as this episode they really need to double up the episodes to 20 instead of 10.

Rest easy, the pace WILL pick up. Book III is definitely the busiest, and it has the most memorable scenes from the series. They just need to set things up, move the figures into position on the board and all.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was quite a pack episode, no? Not so much action but plenty going on.
  • vargatom
    By the way, has anyone noticed something lifted straight from the books that may be a major hint? Serious spoilers follow...
    Tywin tells his son that he has to let him bear the Lannister name and wear the house colors. Combined with Barristan's mention of King Aerys taking a liking to Tywin's wife, many people have speculated that Tyrion may indeed be the Mad King's bastard son and thus a Targaryen...

It's also interesting because of all the other, pretty important hints left out from the show:
    Ned's nightmares about Lyanna's death, Rhaegar crowning her the Queen of Beauty at the Harrenhall tourney and so on - stuff that lead people to speculate on Jon's parentage.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    You know what sucks about GoT? I can't speculate about what's going to happen, because everyone's read the books and actually knows whats going to happen. lol.
  • vargatom
    Oh no, do speculate please! We really enjoy the naivety of people unfamiliar with Martin... :P
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    i was not expecting the part with the nipples
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Guess I just expected to much from the ending of season 2.
    Andreas wrote: »
    I thought it was quite a pack episode, no? Not so much action but plenty going on.

Well thats kinda my issue. So much happened yet so little happened, in each story we got something. But basically nothing actually happened. I guess what I'm trying to say is that nothing major happened, I was just expecting some big showdown with the white walkers and those from the wall.

For example, you could pretty much summarize the entire episode down to.
    Fat priest is a coward, those from the wall save him. End of story when it comes to the walkers. Jon talks to that famous guy, he joins them. End of the Jon Snow story. Tyrion talks to his sister and then hes knight and last hes father. End of that story. Joffrey rides in whatever those are called, hes new wife visits orphans and buys their love with toys, they then dine with her brother and Joffreys mother. End of that story. Robb puts his mother in prison. End of that story. Then you got Daenerys (the dragon lady) shes on a ship, she talks to someone about buying an army, She walks at the harbor and those dark wizards try to kill her she get saved by a new/old character (don't remember who he is.) End of that story. And lastly that pirate is stranded one some cliffs and then he dines with another pirate, then he tries to talk reason to the king yet again, gets sent to prison. End of that story.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I really like Game of Thrones, haven't read the books, and not sure if I should start now. On a literary pov I can't say if the tv series is true to the books or not, but it's really impressed me so far.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    vargatom wrote: »
    By the way, has anyone noticed something lifted straight from the books that may be a major hint? Serious spoilers follow...
    Tywin tells his son that he has to let him bear the Lannister name and wear the house colors. Combined with Barristan's mention of King Aerys taking a liking to Tywin's wife, many people have speculated that Tyrion may indeed be the Mad King's bastard son and thus a Targaryen...

It's also interesting because of all the other, pretty important hints left out from the show:
    Ned's nightmares about Lyanna's death, Rhaegar crowning her the Queen of Beauty at the Harrenhall tourney and so on - stuff that lead people to speculate on Jon's parentage.

MASSIVE SPOILERS
    the evidence for both of those cases is very heavy within the books, Tywin would have reacted badly to his wife dying in childbirth for sure... but he takes it way too far. he is by far one of the more intelligent and cunning characters in the books, and he can see as plainly as he can see the end of his own nose how big of an asset Tyrion is to his house even in spite of his deformity. the only explanation for Tywins hate is in Tyrions parentage.

I won't go into more detail about Jon. but the case there is very strong
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    vargatom wrote: »
    Oh no, do speculate please! We really enjoy the naivety of people unfamiliar with Martin... :P

also this :D
  • mats effect
    Glad this episode picked up and kept running I feel they wasted time in season 2 re introducing stuff.
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    MASSIVE SPOILERS
    the evidence for both of those cases is very heavy within the books, Tywin would have reacted badly to his wife dying in childbirth for sure... but he takes it way too far. he is by far one of the more intelligent and cunning characters in the books, and he can see as plainly as he can see the end of his own nose how big of an asset Tyrion is to his house even in spite of his deformity. the only explanation for Tywins hate is in Tyrions parentage.

I won't go into more detail about Jon. but the case there is very strong
    I disagree on the part about Tyrion being a secret Targ,

I think it's just Tywin being bitter over his wife's death, combined with his past experiences clouding his judgement. The whore thing goes back to when his father was still around:

"When Tywin's father Tytos finally keeled over of a burst heart while climbing a flight of steps to visit his mistress, Tywin Lannister became the Lord of Casterly Rock and Warden of the West. Upon his fathers death Tywin found his fathers mistress trying on one of his late mothers gowns, his father's mistress was a common born woman the daughter of a chandler and she had dominated Tytos utterly, ordering about the household knights and dismissing servants and helping herself to his late wife's jewelery. Tywin had her stripped naked and forced the sobbing woman to walk the streets of Lannisport to confess to every man she met that she was a thief and a harlot before banishing her from the Westerlands." - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

Tywin saw whores as one of his "weak" father's many downfalls, and is embarrassed by Tyrion following the same path.

There's just no proof that Aerys had any sort of relations with Tywin's wife, it's only implied in the books that he MAY have done something at their wedding (the common consensus seems to be that he may have copped a bit of an inappropriate feel), but even if he had done something more, it would be the twins being secret Targs, not Tyrion (as they were born first).

It's quite ironic that he doesn't see Tyrion as his son, given that of all his offspring he is actually the most like Tywin himself.