Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Practice

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Deoce polycounter lvl 5
I noticed i need to practice much more :\ So for the start i decided to try to work on this simple prop objects, but still leaving the comfort zone with modeling.

And hopefully have some good stuff to replace the old pics in my portfolio.

Critiques and comments are welcomed and that's why we are here for. :)

Here is the first one:

Office Water Dispenser
2811 tris
2048 textures

owd_lp_by_deoce-d5zurbh.png
owd_hp_by_deoce-d5zurc4.png
tex_by_deoce-d5zuvzp.png

Sorry for my bad english.

Replies

• thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you post a wireframe? 2811 tris seems a bit much for a prop like this in my opinion.
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    The model it self haves 2235 it jumps to 2811 with those bubbles inside :) i know i could make those planes but im not really worried about the tris count cause it was intentional to go up to 2000+ tris.

as requested here are the 360 wire shots.

wires_by_deoce-d5zw8xd.png
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Another object i did today :poly121: Spend quite some time doing this... Mostly modeled in blender and used little zbrush for sculpting. Tomorrow going to do lowpoly and hopefully textures. :)

hp_by_deoce-d5zxmfu.png
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Here is the lowpoly model done and textured. hope you like it.

2500 tris exectly :D

rendered in marmoset toolbag.

show2_by_deoce-d6024oq.png
    show1_by_deoce-d6024nn.png
    tex_by_deoce-d6024p5.png
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Heres the high poly of the next object i did :) The one thing i noticed that more i make high poly objects i tend to go more into detail :D tho it takes much more time to finish them.

I'm planing to go about 5k tris on lowpoly but we will see. hope i will finish lowpoly and textures by tommorow :poly124:

And again comments and critiques are welcomed. Would like to hear what you think and is there something i'm doing wrong?

showhp_by_deoce-d60ah4v.png

Sorry for my bad English.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    Did you model the lowpoly chair as one piece? if you break that up you can lower your geomtry alot, i see edges that have no real use in the low poly, like on the cushions.
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    luge wrote: »
    Did you model the lowpoly chair as one piece? if you break that up you can lower your geomtry alot, i see edges that have no real use in the low poly, like on the cushions.

Yea the lowpoly model is one piece its something i prefer more unless there is a need to do otherwise :) The area where are the cushions is not fully flat that why it was placed that geometry at first place but i notice now that is not that much push upwards as i thought it would be.

I tend to do little more "complex" lowpoly models on this practice cause i'm trying to cover four things with whole this modeling spree:
    1. Modeling highpoly
    2. Getting error free normal bake.
    3. Clean UV unwrap (this is where higher tris count on lowpoly objects helps)
    4. Good clean Textures with recognizable materials.
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    I have a little bit of problem baking this part in xnormal...at the moment i have no idea how can i do this... would appreciate any kind of help how i can tackle this problem.

error_by_deoce-d60bjwx.png
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    I'm a little curious why your Halo 4 pistol doesn't have a barrel ha ha.
    H4_pistol.png

I'm not too sure what you're asking for with baking though... what's the problem?
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    I'm a little curious why your Halo 4 pistol doesn't have a barrel ha ha.
    H4_pistol.png

I'm not too sure what you're asking for with baking though... what's the problem?

Oh fantastic!!! :D the concept art i had didn't have the front view and i wondered how some of the things work and this makes sense xD tho i didnt know its from halo too :poly136: thanks a lot again!!!

The bug is that those faces are so close to each other that when i bake them they overlap (the top part is baked on the bottom part and vice versa) on the texture and gets bugged... so my question is how can i bake that part and not get the that weird bug? tho in that place is the barrel i might not have the same problem, but still would like to know how it can be fixed?

again sorry for my bad English. if the question is still not understandable ill post lowpoly model with baked normal's with the error.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    You need to use a custom projection cage when baking. More info here.

Also for the gun i'd make the front part where the mouth of the barrel should be a bit larger so it can actually fit the barrel itself.
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    THIS WAS SO MUCH PAIN WORKING ON IT!!! :poly127: finnaly its done. had huge problems with bakeing normals and unwraping but i think i solved them :) fixed the highpoly too thanks a lot to "BobtheGreatII" for sending me the image from front view :D

critiques and comments welcomed.

Final tris count is 3073

and like always used blender,xnormal,ndo2,photoshop and rendered in marmoset.

now its time to find new concept art on what i will work on next :)

pistol_by_deoce-d60g9qp.png
    pistol_wire_by_deoce-d60gc7n.png
    gun_by_deoce-d60ah4v.png
    textr_by_deoce-d60gc6c.png
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work on that gun man.
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work on that gun man.

Thanks a lot :D
  • alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    very nice work on that pistol ! i made excat same thing last day ! i also didnt know it cames from Halo ! :D
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    very nice work on that pistol ! i made excat same thing last day ! i also didnt know it cames from Halo ! :D

Thanks :D i saw and i'm looking forward to the textured one :) sometimes i just find random stuff and i'm like "THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO MAKE" not even looking from where it is :poly136:

Anyway i found the next thing i'll be working on and its a vehicle (can't say no more) :poly124: I took little break cause i have a life :cool: and from Monday i'll be working a lot to get the next thing finished :D
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    So after two day working on a vehicle i decided that i didn't like it (mostly because i found concept art that isn't clear enough for me) :poly127: and now i started the new vehicle project :) this one is going much better and its pretty complex so its taking a lot of time modeling all the details... so while i work on vehicle that is damn hard i try to cool my head with this little project on side :D hope to finish low poly model and textures by tomorrow.

(there is a chance that i missed something on the model cause i worked only few hours on it but tomorrow ill again check everything to be sure everything looks okey)

show_by_deoce-d61acrp.png
  • Deoce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deoce polycounter lvl 5
    Finished the low poly model and textures for Surveillance Camera.

1804 tris

maybe some of the polygons i could arrange better :poly122:

Critiques and comments are welcomed. :D

surveillancecameralp_by_deoce-d61gk9a.png
    surveillance_cameralp_by_deoce-d61gkaa.png
    text_by_deoce-d61gkc0.png