Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Jon-Troy Nickel - Character Artist

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys, would love some crits and advice on my folio - its pretty straight and cleancut, no fluff.
What do I need more of, what should I cut out etc

http://www.kalescentstudios.com/troyfolio/Main.htm

Welcome all oppinions, Cheers!

Replies

• Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Troy..

looks great in my opinion.. love the layout, its ver clean..
    Emma frost is really nice=)

cheers
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    love it, a great and straight line up of quality work showing of skill in many different styles :)

If someone held a knife against my throat making me crit something, i would probably want emma's ass to have some more volume, looks a bit flat from behind, :P but that might just be my opinion ;) great work
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    portfolio is great. work is great
  • AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stutts polycounter lvl 11
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Layout is fantastic and the work is great.

However, if I must offer one criticism:

The first image (reading left to right) and the center, focal image, are both fan-art. They are beautiful, and expertly executed, but they are also borrowed concepts. It might be helpful to rearrange the work so that your original concepts stand out more, so that potential employers know that you are a creative individual.

However, this could be a moot point, because employers also need to see that you can take a concept/art direction and create work, so take this with a grain of salt.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think it looks awesome.

:D
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Your portfolio is ideal man! There really is nothing serious to crit, awesome job!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, awesome work there.

About the site, I'd make it so it's obvious that clicking your name takes you to you linkedin because I clicked it to go back to your home page and it sent me there instead lol.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Jon,
    Some critiques for your site. It's super clean and simple, and the work is definitely Ace. Emma Frost is your strongest character in my opinion and should be featured on center but that's just my personal opinion.

I clicked on your name, banner on the top left thinking it would return me to the index but it opened up to your linked in page. I'd suggest perhaps think about opening the Linkedin page to a new tab(window) or just allowing that button to take you to the index, and adding a linked in Button over by the email.

Overall nice work.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks really great, but...
    You don't have any male characters, besides the orc, and that doesn't really count.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Ditto to most of the other comments. Inspiring work, but I think you could use another non-orc male.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Awesome stuff!

I agree that id rather one of the other chars big than the Orc, maybe you could work out some random large center image as a watermark instead of link? Strong work though, love the diversity.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff Jon! Overall I think this portfolio does everything it should. If anything I might make it more obvious where in the world you're from. I only accidentally found your linkedin page which gave me more of the info I wanted. It might be better to separate it or make an about page where you link to it and give some of your vital stats.

My favorite image on the site is probably this one. Is this 3d with paintover or what is it?
  • achillesian
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enviable talent on display and a great portfolio. Really enjoyed browsing through it.

If I were to offer one minor point it would be to possibly remove the last sketch in your 'Quick Portrait Studies' section, the one of the baby; in comparison to the others it has an unfinished quality and plus it kinda freaks me out a bit...
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stertman, ralusek, AaronF3D, Stutts, JacqueChoi, BradMyers82, moose, achillesian: Thanks guys for the kind words!

Jonas Ronnegard: More junk in the trunk ?! I do agree with you man, something i shoudl have adjusted afterwards doh!

jakelear: Thanks man I know what you mean for sure, I may in fact move stuff around... good point!

carlo_c: good point man thanks will fix that up soon!

kaburan: thanks man noted, ill fix that up and im going to put emma in the centre!

ZacD, ScoobyDoofus: Thanks dudes, some male characters coming soon - in the past 3 years all ive been doing is making male characters so once i left Fuzzyeyes i decided it time to work on some chicks haha!

moose: interesting idea man! ill think about that!

SnarG: Haha thats funny man, freaked out by the bubba sketch! he does look pretty evil hey, ill think about killing it off and replacing slowly with new life drawings and paintings anyway :D

Okay looks like ive got some adjusting to do, thanks again everyone !
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    when i get out of school ur coaching me! lol
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Was there no more work at FuzzyEyes? Edge of Twilight is finished? Did you not like it there?

Anywho, awesome portfolio man. =)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson: This place is a far better coach than i could ever be man, post up your stuff !

Junkie_XL: I and my team finished all the characters about 9 months ago, I left after a couple months of trying to help out in other areas, and just recently Fuzzyeyes closed.
    As far as whats happened to Edge of Twilight, I honestly couldnt say.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome portfolio. I love the sketch of the baby lol.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Hazardous wrote: »
    sampson: This place is a far better coach than i could ever be man, post up your stuff !

Junkie_XL: I and my team finished all the characters about 9 months ago, I left after a couple months of trying to help out in other areas, and just recently Fuzzyeyes closed.
    As far as whats happened to Edge of Twilight, I honestly couldnt say.

They closed down? wow.

Not long ago...April or May I think...a recruiter over there was trying to fill a special effects artist position that FuzzyEyes needed and contacted me. They ended up going with someone local. Now I'm glad I didn't get it. Taking a leap from the US to cross the ocean is quite a jump only to get canned. Sad to hear about those effected. Was looking forward to the game...hopefully it still surfaces.

Anywho, once again, nice portfolio.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    The site is fixed now, with the name thing taking you back to home page.

Do you think an about page is necessary? If an employee was really interested wouldn't they just email you?

I <3 the layout. Whoever though that up is very very SMRT :D
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice! Love the range of style ^^
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    must...steal...design...your site and work is awesome :D bookmarked!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks guys!
  • plutko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plutko polycounter lvl 16
    Great portfolio. The choice of the image leading to portrait section could be better.
    But overall you have a great piece of art there.

Mind if ask a question about the 3Dprint you have there? Where did you do it and how expensive it was?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plutko: Sorry I totally missed your post! Its a 37mm high miniature printed, had a mould made and casted for production, the entire process probably cost something in the vicinity of $1500 for a run of 100 mini's but I dont know exact numbers. Where I got it, im not obliged to say unfortunately, its not my project - you'd have to contact Adam Poots, the owner of Kingdom Death :)

Necro!

http://www.hazardousarts.com/

I got a new domain and updated some stuff, some more new things going up shortly.

Thoughts / crits etc welcome :)
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Hazardous, just a heads up, your site may have been owned by some shady people before you, as it's totally blocked by the corporate network here at work. I'm assuming other studios may have similar problems.:

Security risk blocked for your protection

Reason:
    This Websense category is filtered: Potentially Damaging Content. Sites in this category may pose a security threat to network resources or private information, and are blocked by your organization.

URL:
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Site works great for me. Pretty much perfect layout, content is lovely of course.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Needs more dong :P This is awesome Hazardous, and ditto to thumbs up for your layout. Are you in the process of looking for a new gig? Or just wanted to update the ol portfolio?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81: Weird, not even sure what to do in order to fix that.... hmmmmm ?!
    cholden: Thanks bro!
    dustinbrown: Yeah I moved some stuff around, killed off some older stuff, will do the same again pretty shortly with some new stuff goin up :D
    JasonLavoie: Dong coming soon,... after some more ass. :D I'm not looking for a new gig, just an update - gotta keep dat shitz rollin man!!!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome layout Haz-man, when you do future updates, are you going to replace stuff or shrink the main/middle pic down? Or just add to a new row and break the grid?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scudz: I dunno hey, I'm thinking about that myself, I really like pior's website so maybe I'll just add some big pics and stuff and you just have to scroll up and down... not certain yet. I also want to add a '?' passworded section for top secret goodness - the gods know I could fill that section up with plenty of stuff that is not public.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man, great website you have there. And the portfolio as well.

I can understand why you would put that Miku (your most recent anime girl ?) in the spotlight, but the viewer has no clue that she is your most recent. And one would wonder why it's not Emma Frost or the Valkyrie or Chun Li (who have much more details especially the texture) in the spotlight instead. My point is, why Miku and not any other girl, especially Miku isn't your best of all time piece, is she ?

Also, I would suggest a resize of some of the images. Some are way too wide to fit a screen. (especially the Valkyrie. Surely you can crop, or breakdown 1 big image into 4-5 smaller ones) Scrolling up and down is fine. Scrolling side to side is unforgivable.

Those are my 2 cents for you :)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern:Thanks for the thoughts man. I see your point about the viewer not knowing. I'm not sure that it matters though... I put in the centre whatever my favourite piece is :) That usually ends up being my latest personal piece.

Good call on resizing some of the images, will have to look into this.

Whats the max image width would you guys say ? I've had dual 24' monitors running at 1920 x 1200 for years now.. So I'm guessing somewhere around there ?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's terrible man... horrible layout, your work is amaturish and allegory...

man, just give up.

just kidding man, you know i love ya!
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    It's either 1280px or 1024px wide that's considered the smallest screen size for people who use the web, so you could probably make your images anywhere from 1000 to 1200 pixels wide and be okay, you could then have them link to the higher res versions.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Great portfolio site mate. Good layout with the latest work being the largest prominent image is a great idea. Its the type of portfolio that is a real inspiration for me own. Top job!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir: Way ahead of you man........
    alemja: 1280 wide seems so small..... that must be like 19' monitor at 4:3 native res.... or maybe smaller ?! good idea to link to bigger res.. hmm have some thinking to do :)
    Di$array: Thanks man :)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Another update here, I've been considering changing the entire layout to one gigantic scrolling, everloading page - It seems to be all the rage these days. Anyone have any thoughts on that ?

I still need to get around to shrinking many of my images so they are more friendly on people with smaller monitors....
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    I've always preferred site layouts like yours, to those gigantic walls of images as at a glance you can see roughly everything that is in that person's portfolio. However with the sites where you have to scroll through the thing to see all the images, depending on the amount of work they have, it can end up being a little bit much; for me at least.

I'd say that Pior's is a good example of a nice middle ground, as he has a set of larger images at the top of his portfolio, presented in that scrolling manner, with a set of tiles at the bottom where he's able to show off more work, or break up individual projects.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looks good to me bro. i dont think you need to shrink images all that much. no offense to anyone with smaller monitors but for the most part, anyone who matters or needs to see your work for professional reasons will have a decent sized monitor and in most cases, images should resize automatically to fit someones monitor resolution. layout looks great and i agree about showing off more non female, non human characters if possible...along with the orc, a couple creatures would be cool. though i know humans are the hardest so your folio shows you should easily be able to handle creatures. really loved your rift heads...use them for inspiration myself when creating head layouts for the game i'm currently working on. don't sue me if my renders look similar!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh wrote: »
    a couple creatures would be cool.

Agreed man, I think I'm going to have to put up a secret section soon, most of the creature work ive done is still underwraps. (3 years old too)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Shit sux. Lrn 2 spase mareen.
  • JustinK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinK polycounter lvl 9
    clean layout and amazing work, love it!
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Huge fan of your stuff. Really clean site, and gorgeous work along with it.
    I somehow completely missed seeing the LMS tribute, looks outstanding.