Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shanghai Canal

Hey everyone,
I haven't posted on here in forever, figure it's time to do so again. So I was inspired by Sleeping Dogs, and went to town on scene. Originally was just an Shanghai Alley, but need something to stand out, so decided to add a canal and boats. Still a good amount of work to be done on lighting, the bridge is in the way early stages, so that's why it looks terrible. I have to touch up the fog, DOF, finish the boat, etc. In other words, much to do. Any comments/critiques would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - JaySy03
[IMG][/img]Pic_3.jpg
[IMG][/img]Pic_2.jpg
[IMG][/img]Pic_6.jpg
[IMG][/img]Pic_5.jpg
[IMG][/img]Pic_4.jpg

Replies

• djgardner
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    My suggestion would be to first cut out the fog, or at least reduce it down to a very minimal for now. I'd also turn off the rain, because both those are really making it hard to see what you've got currently in terms of model and texture work. Then I'd maybe go over your lighting, just so you have a base. It seems like it's a bit bright for evening lighting. I would turn off all your point lights and get your directional light (moonlight) settings good first. Rotate it around until it lights your scene with some cool shadows. I think UDK has a night time preset lighting as well. Just to get a base lighting, then you come back to all these at the end, when you're happy with your texturing and modeling.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    Cut down on the fog, its too thick and takes away from your scene more than it helps in my opinion, as it brings too much dull grey into the renders. Rain is distracting, tone down the opacity.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With that much rain, water should be streaming off the buildings, virtual rivers from roof corners or overhangs. I'd also expect reflections almost everywhere from the water. The water logged papers shouldn't be white but grey.
  • JaySy03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,
    Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I will definitely tone down the fog, and tinker with the rain, and post new pics and wireframes very soon. If I keep the rain, I will definitely have rain streaming off of the buildings and such, and definitely work on the lighting. Thanks again. - JaySy03
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, the rain effect is too much. Tied with the fog it's hurting overall detail. Instead of such dense fog, think about large steam/fog particles

Light materials need a stronger glow. Intensify those numbers. The red globes could really benefit from this.

Minus the first angle on the ground, the surfaces appear dry
  • JaySy03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,
    Sorry for the very slow updates, a lot going on. I got rid of the rain, fog, and wet surfaces, and tweaked the lighting, though I plan to reduce the bloom. I ill post some wireframe pics of my models I soon as I can. Thanks - JaySy03
    [IMG][/img]Canal_1.jpg
    Canal_3.jpg
    Canal_2.jpg
    Canal_1.jpg