Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character made by newbie

Hello,

I'm newbie in graphics. I'm learning it since a week, untill now I have made 3 objects what isn't alot. Today I made my first character, I know there is nothing to show off but I want to know if it's enough good for a total beginner.

And I know I need to scale and model it a bit more, will update it tomorrow.

2uyhcax.jpg

Replies

• PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be a good character artist you need to know quite a bit of anatomy. I would start off by comparing your render a full body picture of human. You'll find out that the proportions are off, especially the head size.

It also looks like you used box modeling and then just smoothed the boxes, I would recommend using poly modeling which works by extracting edges, not whole surfaces. I'm sure you can find tutorials from youtube on correct techniques!

It might also be a good idea to consider using a 3d sculpting software such as Mudbox or Zbrush if you're looking to make a lot of characters in the future.
  • dune3001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For only one week "experience" this is looking pretty good. I second the previous post, try your hand at Zbrush or something related, it's much easier for organic stuff.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can tell you did this without any reference. Get yourself some reference and look at some character modeling tutorials.

Start here: http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryCharacter

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryReferenceAnatomy
  • Flurrih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for feedback.
    I know the properties are off. I noticed the head is way too big as the upper part of chest should be a little wider.
    And yes I used the box modeling and at the end I smoothed it twice, didn't know about other techniques as everytime I looked on youtube, there was much tutorials about box modelling.
    Thanks for the links, it might be usefull when I decide to make another character.

As for 3d sculpting software, I really don't know...
    As I said, I'm newbie so dont know what I will be modelling in future. I'd say not only characters, but everything. Is it worth to learn both Zbrush/Mudbox and 3ds max at once? Or maybe focus only on one?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Flurrih, do you draw?

If so, what do you draw?

That's probably what you want to be modeling.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I agree with JadeEyePanda, draw first. Drawing reinforces how you see form, shape, lighting, and strengthens observations skills in general. What you have right now shows a lack of references, mental or physical. I say take A LOT of drawing classes. I took 5 life drawing classes, 2 at my college and 3 other at a community college voluntarily, and I could still use more. I carry a moleskine with my at all times and draw everything like a fool. Once you got that down pat, then move onto 3D forms. Just like a sculptor, learn how to put things into paper first then into clay, in this case, into polygons.
  • Flurrih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I dont draw, and maybe it's good idea to start learning.

Thanks for your feedbacks.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is your usual craft, if I may ask?
  • Flurrih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is your usual craft, if I may ask?
    What do you mean exactly? Craft as what?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of "thing" do you usually do? Illustration? Game Design? Programming? Freerunning? Prostitution? Flamenco dancing? Singing? Bouncing?

The Character

It's lumpy right now, but I'm liking the proportions for some reason, or at least the potential feel of this all. Are you gonna have this be fairly cartoony for a character?
  • Flurrih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm still going to high school so learning.. But after all I'm interested in Computer Science but that's begining for me. Know basics of C++ and some 3ds max for now. My plans about university were studying programming but now I wanted to create my own models so later in future I can try making a simple, easy game in UDK. I love learning new things while experiencing. But I got interested in 3D grahics design after my first works even though wasn't that perfect and decided to learn it a bit more to improve my skills.

Character:
    I'm glad you you like it in any way. I already changed the size of head and upper part of chest to be more like a human. Tried to animate him, but I'd say the character and all stuff I did was just for experience rather than use it for other stuff. That was 4th thing I ever made in 3ds max, so thats not perfect. I will try to improve my skills, make something better and then I will think what's next.

Anyway I dont really understand difference between box and poly modelling. Tried to find tutorials on youtube but I think didn't found right one, both techniques looks same for me.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In regards to programming, I'd REALLY caution you to think about what major you want to go in for. Here at USC at least, being decent at CS is a rigorous matter. One of the artists that used to be on Core Overload was a CS for Games major by trade, but wanted to be an artist. Time not spent working on his 3D art was buttressed with the reason "Coding is hard for me, and takes time." So time was spent chasing a grade and not on portfolio work. You can do both, just not at equal strength. Imagine what it will take to be awesome at either, in terms of suffering and time.

Poly modeling is essentially doing it plane by plane. Box modeling is modifying existing primitives to what you want.

I recommend doing the sculpting path. Sculpt first, retopologize later.

And really try to make this awesome. Check your anatomy, figure out WHAT you want this character to look like (concept art!), instead of just some temp asset you stick into a project. Check out the LowPoly sub 1000 triangle thread and see all the awesome low low poly art people are able to do and what is possible.
  • Flurrih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you for your replies JadeEyePanda.

I'm still 1 and half year away from choosing university, so I got some time to think about. Now I will do both programming and 3d art. My plan was to make some good 3d objects and later use it in programming while making a game. For example half year ago I made my first simple, playable game in Unity3d, coding was necessary of course. But what I was lacking, is 3d objects and the 3d modelling skills. I know I can download free, legal objects from some websites, but copying someone's work isn't fun.
    When will be the time to choose university, I will just choose one of both.

About poly modelling, I'm still confused about it, as I understand poly modelling is about create a plane and extrude it plane by plane, box modelling create box or something and work on it.

Well let me tell you what I did. I made a box, made a shape of a foot, deleted upper polygon where the leg should be and started extrude making the whole leg. Used mirror to copy copy leg so I had two legs. Merged both legs and started extruding the body and so on. What I did, I extruded whole object then started modelling it. Is it poly or box modelling?
    I mistake because both look nearly same for me as a beginer. I watch tutorials and they doesn't say anything new for me. Possible it's technique I used while making the character or mixed both techniques.