Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lighting Process & Workflow Tips

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
I'm never really sure where to post write-ups. Either way, I've just uploaded a new blog post about lighting. I've tried to outline my thought process as well as workflow steps I take to get from concept to completion. Lighting's a tough thing to articulate but I wanted to document some broad thoughts I had to hopefully help people out who struggle with it. Check it out:

http://jcricreate.blogspot.com/ (Article is the first one)

Hopefully my picture to word ratio is getting better, I tend to write novels.

Shot5Y.png

Let me know if you have any questions or general comments. I'd love to discuss the topic further!

Love,
Jon

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Really great post! Your critique really helped me out on my most recent portfolio piece, this is really well done, and very helpful.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice post! I learned quite a bit and I have to say I love your work :)
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    thanks for sharing.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    fantastic, love your other tutorials as well!
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on! Very happy you all are getting some use out of it! It's hard to tell whether or not people are reading sometimes so it's refreshing to know that my writing is getting viewed. Thanks for the comments again, I appreciate them.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome! Lighting is one of my weak points, so this is gonna be really helpful. Looks like you have other tuts too! Hehehehe xD Much thanks for sharing your insights.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    That is an awesome right up, thanks a lot. What helps me sometimes is to take a screenshot of my work in progress and do some simple paint overs and adjustments in photoshop. It helps me visualize the look I want for me scene a lot more than what I am thinking in my head.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great job Jon! Like the walkthrough. It's nice seeing other people's thought process on lighting. Glad to see you're focusing on that role.
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome stuff! Thank you for showing your process. It really helps a lot! :)
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    LOL one of the best posts I've seen for a while. I'll be following you much closer mr Criner... So close you could almost smell me.

Simply put: Your blog is awesome. Informative and funny. 4 monkies smoking cigars out of 4.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    I haven't read it all yet, but it looks like a great read. Thanks for writing it up.

Quick question, how expensive is lighting when it comes to the final scene? I don't mean build times, but I always thought lighting and post-process were some of the major memory hogs. Would you add the extra point lights everywhere that needed it or keep it limited to important areas?

I love the lighting with the Naughty Dog pieces. :thumbup:
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks errbody! I started writing this blog at the top of the year to try to put myself out into the community a bit and I'm really excited by your comments.

@leleuxart - That's a good question and it really depends. Ideally, the lighting team should stake their claim early in the project so budgets are noted and accounted for. On Amalur, we didn't start thinking about lighting until a bit later in the project and we ended up not having the wiggle room we wanted. We used 16x16 textures to create out skyboxes. You read that right, we used a special compression that would smooth the pixels and make it look wonderfully rich and not pixelated. Left to right would denote 0-24:00 (day/night cycle) and bottom to top would be horizon to apex.

On my current project, we're at the end of the pipe so, again, we don't have a ton of breathing room. If there's real time reflections or animated environment elements, our back is against a wall from the start. Important things here are making sure you don't have a lot of overlapping lights. That's huge in frametime, same with shadow casters and making sure they're used where they'll matter. I use volumes to turn off lights once you leave a space and other glamourous (but necessary) optimization tricks. Currently, I RARELY use point lights. I'm not a huge fan of them as most light sources aren't omni directional (and they have the biggest influence on light overlap). Both studios also have/had tube/line lights which are a great way to accent surfaces which I'm not sure Unreal currently has. Another trick, that I plan to show off once the project ships, is the use of a negative light. I use negative lights to ground assets in an area where I couldn't otherwise afford a shadow or want to accentuate additional depth.

@Ootrick - Thanks! I think...:)
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    On my current project, we're at the end of the pipe so, again, we don't have a ton of breathing room. If there's real time reflections or animated environment elements, our back is against a wall from the start. Important things here are making sure you don't have a lot of overlapping lights. That's huge in frametime, same with shadow casters and making sure they're used where they'll matter. I use volumes to turn off lights once you leave a space and other glamourous (but necessary) optimization tricks. Currently, I RARELY use point lights. I'm not a huge fan of them as most light sources aren't omni directional (and they have the biggest influence on light overlap). Both studios also have/had tube/line lights which are a great way to accent surfaces which I'm not sure Unreal currently has. Another trick, that I plan to show off once the project ships, is the use of a negative light. I use negative lights to ground assets in an area where I couldn't otherwise afford a shadow or want to accentuate additional depth.

Hmm, I didn't think about the overlapping. I think you're right about the line lights, Unreal only has point lights, spotlight, sky lights, and the directional light. I tried making my own line light with the "use emissive for static lighting" and it doesn't seem to work haha. I guess it basically emits like a point light(until UE4?...). The negative light sounds really interesting, look forward to seeing it