Home Technical Talk

Blueprint for Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"

Hey everyone i'm currently trying to find either a tutorial or a blueprint for the Shelby Mustang GT500 or better known as Eleanor, for Maya. It's for a project i'm working on at school atm.
Any help would be fantastic seeing as I don't yet know where to look for this kinda thing.

Cheers

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    dont use blue prints they are all wrong... use fotos instead...
    you could use blue prints to get started... but then go with fotos...
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 1967 Shelby GT500 Eleanor is based on the 1967 Mustang Fastback. The main tings that differ are the fender cowls, scoops decklid and front. So check blueprints for the 67 mustang and go with photos to get the eleanor specific parts.

http://carblueprints.info/blueprints/ford/ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-1967-02.gif

If you look at a 67 Eleanor and 67 Fastback you will see that it is the same car
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    dont use blue prints they are all wrong... use fotos instead...
    you could use blue prints to get started... but then go with fotos...

How do you mean?

Photos always have some amount of perspective distortion(varies on the sort of lens used to take the photo), so they are bad for modeling guides, unless you can find shots with very compressed perspective from a 100% straight on angle(very hard to do).

Blueprints are orthographic on the other hand, which makes perfect modeling guides.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    From my experience he is most likely talking about the fact that blueprints are a lot of the time actually drawn over photo's, come from sources that maybe aren't to accurate (scale models) or things like that.

For example looking at your blueprints and having a line drawn in there that makes no sense at all (wich actually if you find the photo it comes from, seeing that it's a line in the reflections).

or having 2 different blueprints lined up and both of them saying something else for a certain part of the model.

They are still handy as a start, but I personally think unless you know where they came from you should never trust them, and rely on actual ref/photo's and your eyes.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Personally I'd say just go for another car. There's a hundreds of people that have modeled that thing already, times like these it doesn't hurt to stand out a bit.
  • k@rt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k@rt polycounter lvl 6
    Blueprints are very simple, remember. I would suggest finding a blueprint as similar as you can to the car model you want to work on. Then, using reference photos, check and edit the blueprints to make them more accurate (if needed). You can add any details that are missing or that you want to include, remove anything excess and make sure things are where they are supposed to be.

I also think it is good modeling from blueprints (at least at the start) but there is nothing stopping you from adding extra reference pics into your scene above/next to the blueprints. That way you can continually check, perspective photos will give you a lot of extra information not avaiable in blueprints.

I would also maybe conside modeling a different car, like Xoliul said. Mustangs are one of most commonly modeled car, I think. Maybe think about a Pontiac GTO or Firebird Trans Am, Camero SS or a rarer Dodge (Challenger trans AM). Or for something even more interesting Bugatti Type 57, Ferrari 250 GT/GTO, Jag e-type, AC Cobra, Ford GT40, Lamborghini Countach, porsche spyder... there are a lot, but thats a few ideas.
  • Angry Beaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
    Just want to chip in about how I've had identical experiences to joeriv. If you can get quality legitimate blueprints, there great. otherwise they're going to cause more problems than they solve if you follow too closely.