Home Technical Talk

inside of sculpt coming through outside in zbrush

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
Issue with zbrush.
When sculpting the inner part of the sculpt moves to a point beyond the outer part. It makes this strange thing happen where this can be seen but since it has some sort of backface invisibilty it can't be seen but from certain angles.

I've tried using backface masking but that might be causing it to happen.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

PSNeG.jpg

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You can use tool: display properties: double to enable it to display the backfaces
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    I know what this is, it's because you had backfacing on when sculpting on the geometry which means the layer of geometry below doesn't get affected by the sculpting. The geo stays in the same place. You have to be careful of this man, it's important to do a retopo of the mesh when you extract geo in zbrush or make sure you delete the extra layer of geo via poly group splitting and then deleting it, because it normally does a double layer of geo unless you have backfacing on when masking before the extraction.

Hope this helped.
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    MrNinjutsu wrote: »
    I know what this is, it's because you had backfacing on when sculpting on the geometry which means the layer of geometry below doesn't get affected by the sculpting. The geo stays in the same place. You have to be careful of this man, it's important to do a retopo of the mesh when you extract geo in zbrush or make sure you delete the extra layer of geo via poly group splitting and then deleting it, because it normally does a double layer of geo unless you have backfacing on when masking before the extraction.

Hope this helped.
    I went back to an earlier version of my model before I started sculpting on the jacket. But i'm being mindful of this happening again.
    Can it cause major issue later on? I'll keep what you mentioned in mind in case of it happening again.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Having the back faces crashing through the front can cause baking errors in your normal maps, ao, etc. It can also cause holes if you decide to dynamesh it. If you arent going to be using that inside geo, it's probably best just to delete it in the beginning prior to sculpting.