Home General Discussion

New Ultima game on Kickstarter

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0

From the original maker. Looks like another remake that will surpass its own goal.

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I was working freelance at Portalarium, where my wife works, on this kickstarter prototype. They called me up and asked me to come in to do some lighting and FX. Really great atmosphere at the company, lots of posters from Origin, Ultima. Richard Garriott is really great to chat with.

http://kotaku.com/5989447/richard-garriott-revolutionized-video-game-rpgs-now-the-creator-of-ultima-wants-to-do-it-again

Really hope the project gets funded!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Oh neat - backed! Although I was hoping for something isometric to bring back the spirit of Ultima I - VIII... Still, sounds really awesome. I hope he get away from the "Quest Marker" type gameplay. I really loved the open world in the Ultima games where you have to stumble into the story and find out everything yourself
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Never played or really saw anything about Ultima, so funding $1m for this seems out of this world.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The last real Ultima game got released about 14 years ago. And the very best ones came out in the early to mid 90's. Then there's been Ultima Online, one of the granddaddy's of all MMOs, but now it's a niche MMO with its dated 2D graphics (and the 3D client never took off).

If you want to see Ultima's legacy, look at Skyrim or Oblivion. Ultima championed sand box RPGs with highly interactive worlds already in the good old DOS days, and it wouldn't be a lie if you say that good old Ultima VII had almost as interactive a world as Skyrim has today.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am so excited. Ultima was the first true MMO in my opinion. I remember waiting to defend Britain from an attack late at night, oh and dial up....

Miss Tabula Rasa too. Ashamed they went down.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Nemlet17 wrote: »
    I am so excited. Ultima was the first true MMO in my opinion. I remember waiting to defend Britain from an attack late at night, oh and dial up....

Miss Tabula Rasa too. Ashamed they went down.

i loved ultima online back then, its a shame there isnt a 3d remake of it
    and no, the 3d client does not count =(
    we only played on a free shard where everything was custom made, but with the added classes and a strict role-playing code it was really fun

oh how i miss those days
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Never played or really saw anything about Ultima, so funding $1m for this seems out of this world.

$1 million is a pretty low budget. Most big games you're probably used to have budgets of $30 million and up.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, damn I played this game a lot, my first MMORPG and my first HUGE phonebill (yay to 33k modems). Had to cut down on my playing, as my salary just didn't allow food and that kind of game play. ;)
  • DrawingTom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i used to love that game but now it's getting old and now im 21 ahhaha
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Kwramm wrote: »
    The last real Ultima game got released about 14 years ago. And the very best ones came out in the early to mid 90's. Then there's been Ultima Online, one of the granddaddy's of all MMOs, but now it's a niche MMO with its dated 2D graphics (and the 3D client never took off).

If you want to see Ultima's legacy, look at Skyrim or Oblivion. Ultima championed sand box RPGs with highly interactive worlds already in the good old DOS days, and it wouldn't be a lie if you say that good old Ultima VII had almost as interactive a world as Skyrim has today.

except that skyrim and oblivion (unless you mod them) hold your hand through the entire questline, and make it almost impossible for you to fail once you start getting your first few powerful items/spells.

my only experience with the Ultima series, was Ultima 8... widely considdered the best of them. and that game was BRUTAL, just about everything could and would kill you no matter how "powerful" you became. in fact, power was largely an illusion. i loved it.

BUT, i can see how that's very niche nowadays, because the majority of the gaming community that exists loves the handheld (lolpun) gameplay and invincible feeling you get... nobody can take dying anymore, in fact when people die "it's a shit game", and is unlikely to be supported through a sequal.

ALL THAT ASIDE - i can't see myself being excited about this new ultima. graphically it looks as dated as the ideas behind it. i don't see how moving backward toward the old great ideas is a good thing. absolutely integrate some of those philosophies into something new... BUT MAKE IT NEW, make it something nobody has seen before.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I played them all from III (on my C64) to IX (I and II were a bit too archaic). The best ones were definitely V, VI, and VII both gameplay and story wise. VIII was actually a step back. The removed the party system and the world wasn't as interactive. It felt smaller too and there were less side quests to add depth to the world. gameplay was rather linear. But the graphics and animations were quite a step up. Maybe that was just the first taste of how many RPGs would come to be in the years after ;)

Should be able to get them all on GOG. The games really don't hold your hand, but that's the nice thing about them. You actually have to explore the world, talk to people. Especially Ultima VI and VII are full with side quests with unique story lines (no stupid "fetch me 23 wombat skins" quests) that really add a lot of depth to the world. Almost all NPCs have a background story and a little virtual life they follow. Ultima 7 is probably the best of them and the easiest one to get into if you haven't grown up with 8 bit machines. Ultima 5 and 6 (1992) feel more dated graphic wise but are just as complex. Story wise and immersion wise they still smoke many contemporary RPGs.
    For those who played Ultima Online, Ultima 7 is the closest to it. The world is almost as interactive, except the graphics are of course 320x200 resolution (I think with the GOG version you can have higher res)

I agree that it's a niche game, but I can see enough people caring for it to make it worthwhile. Grimrock did a great job at resurrecting some gameplay that's as ancient as Ultima itself. Actually the dungeons in Ultima I - V are pretty similar to Grimrock's. Just have to give it into the hands of some developers who love these sort of games and something good comes out. Definitely much better than giving it to people who only care because "the franchise is worth something and we can warm it up for a quick buck". I think if people love the franchise then there's a good chance it will be new and not a rehash, that it will be a work that can stand on its own. For me a sequel that can stand on its own feet is just as good as a new game.

Only the graphics... why didn't they go for something like Titan Quest?! Would have been so more true to the original franchise. Only Ultima 9 was first person 3D and you can just ask everyone who played it how much it sucked.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $1 million is a pretty low budget. Most big games you're probably used to have budgets of $30 million and up.

They're at $740k already and have 26 days left to go. Wouldn't be surprising if they could get as far as 3-5 million in that time.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my only experience with the Ultima series, was Ultima 8... widely considdered the best of them.

Actually it was considered to be one of the worst, because it was too ambitious and a lot of content got cut to make a pre-set release date. Ultima IX suffered a similar fate.

The one most people and fans consider to be the best is Ultima VII. That's where NPCs had daily schedules, opening their shop and baking bread and sleeping in their beds at night, waking up if you broke into their house. It was very long and had a complex story involving murders and investigation and lots of complex sidequests and so on.
    Although it also had a sort-of-sequel called Ultima VII Part 2 - the Serpent Isle, which some consider to be better - it had a more linear story, but with more dramatic twists and such.

and that game was BRUTAL, just about everything could and would kill you no matter how "powerful" you became. in fact, power was largely an illusion. i loved it.

I think the combat system in U8 was actually flawed, the other games were quite unlike that one.
    In U7 you could gather magical armor and weapons that made the party pretty much invulnerable after about 2/3 of the game in most battles. So you could focus on the important ones and on the final stretch of the story and quests.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    VIII was actually a step back. The removed the party system and the world wasn't as interactive. It felt smaller too and there were less side quests to add depth to the world. gameplay was rather linear. But the graphics and animations were quite a step up.

Yeah, it was the fixed release date by EA. Some of the cut content is still in the files, like when the undead were supposed to invade the city, and there was meant to be a party system too.

On the other hand they've used the engine in SVGA for the Crusader games some time later.

Only Ultima 9 was first person 3D and you can just ask everyone who played it how much it sucked.

U9 was actually third person and the graphics had little to do with the fan reaction. Once again the game was without a party system, and there were a lot of puzzles in the dungeons that felt like Super Mario 3D... People also didn't like the story too much.

But the game looked pretty damn nice for its time, despite the segmented character models, especially if you were able to crank up the view distance. But it was a resource hog, I think you needed like 128 MB RAM to run it reasonably well and direct3D support was buggy, it preferred a Voodoo 2.
    Some time later I re-installed it on a new PC that had an ATI Radeon and at least 1GB RAM or so. Turned on forced AA and AF and copied the whole game to ram drive... it run pretty well ;)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    "I pissed my milions away on trips into space, give me your money".
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Yeah you are right. It really was 3rd person. The only lasting impression U9 made was that EA send me the patched CD to make it run better on DirectX for free. That was pretty neat of EA. (but the fanboy in me is still angry that they bought Origin - and then named their Steam competitor service after them too!)
  • ambershee
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »

"and I usually find in my history that the artists and programmers are, in fact, as good of designers as the designers. They're often better, because they understand the technology or the art."
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    That I don't necessarily disagree with.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    heh. A bit more humbleness would really serve him well. Although PC Gamer isn't helping by just highlighting the worst in red and thus taking it out of context. He does have a point and the article is more tame than the quotes make you think. Really good game design and story telling is just difficult.
    For my own sake I hope he can deliver after taking his mouth so full; I backed that game ;)
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    "What's a paladin?"

I also hope the guardian comes back with an unchanged design in HD glory!!!!Lol
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    the idea is good, but graphic and animation look quite outdated to be honest :( ...
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    I feel like he's trying to rock the boat a bit with that last interview he gave. Not a bad idea if you think about the publicity it will draw to his Kickstarter.