Home Technical Talk

Maya lags

Hey,

I've run into a problem I do not know much about and the problem is lag. OK, well, I made a base human male mesh in Maya and exported it to Zbrush for sculpting. When I got done with the sculpting the model had around 700k polygons so I went ahead and exported it back to Maya, now my issue here is that Maya lags on my computer which has 3.40GHZ and 16GB ram. I don't know much about computers either and would like to know if Maya is supposed to lag or not. I'd appreciate any response.

Thanks!

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Dont except great performance in 3D modeling software when it comes to H-poly count even if 700k isn't really much.
  • natsu12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh I see, ok, another question. how good must a computer be to make a short animated movie, around 20 min or so?. I'm thinking of buying an even better computer.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Are we talking about South Park or Avatar?

I think you´d go better showing us your current skill level and what machine you are working with at the moment : )
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I'd start looking at alternative ways of working with highend material before looking to a new computer as a solution. Your bound to run into performance issues even with a newer computer as well sooner or later.

Use simplified objects or bounding boxes as placeholders if possible. Maybe look to use displacement maps to push the higher end level to when you render. Makes it less stressful to work with the scene as it will be lower amount of geometry in comparison.
  • natsu12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just wondering, the 700k model is not for a movie its for a render, I never intended to make a short animated movie. I just wanted more info on how you do it and what software you use to accomplish something like that :).
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    If it is just the model with no materials applied yet, try changing your viewport renderer to viewport 2.0, that is usually pretty fast. I bring in stuff from zbrush to move around to bake (10million+ tris), and viewport 2.0 works pretty well for me, start adding materials and doing component selections and prepare to wait awhile.
  • natsu12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks m4dcow, viewport 2.0 works perfectly. Thank you all for taking your time to help me out here :D.