Home Technical Talk

Maya Mesh Tearing

Hello Polycounters,

I am following a tutorial (I'm new to this whole modelling thing, just doing it for fun and enjoy lurking here), and everything is going pretty okay, however my mesh has started showing some rather strange artifacts. I don't know if it's officially called mesh tearing, but that's all I could think of calling it. Just wondering if you know how to fix this issue?

It's not stopping me from modelling, and it doesn't show up in my renders, but I have no idea why it's happening, and was just looking for some knowledge.

Thanks.

va8Azsi.jpg

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Looks like zfighting from having two similar meshes stacked on top of each other. Try clicking on a part of your model and moving it to see if there's anything under it
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Maya does this sometimes when your model is huge, although it seems ok in relation to the grid. Just try scaling it right down, just in case.
  • Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was my first thought, as when duplicating a mesh, I then get the same graphical effect, however I've moved everything, and nothing's intersecting where it shouldn't.

This may change things (or not) but when I zoom in on the specific areas, the effect goes away. Also, it only started after I added a certain piece. For the first hour or two of modelling, there was no issue.

Edit: I scaled it down to less than a single Maya Unit, and no change.

Edit2: I fiddled around a bit, and sure enough, if I scale it down to under a unit and zoom in (zoomed out at this size, still get the tearing), then it fixes itself:
    uinquHM.png

And this is it scaled down, but not zoomed in:
    weMIXyB.png

Any further possible solutions would be helpful.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    it's just a graphic error, you card may not be friendly w/ the software.
  • Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. Well, I managed to fix the error by simply exporting and then importing in to a new scene. Apparently exporting and then importing in to the same scene was not enough. No idea why, but it's back to normal. Thanks for the tips provided.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Click on your perspective camera and play with the near and far clip plane numbers in the attribute editor. If you set your far clip plane higher, and your near clip plane lower it should fix it.
  • Mr.Mint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me (if I remember correctly) such behavior takes place when you have a high number in the far-clipping-plane (like 100.000) and a small number in the near-clipping-plane (like 0.1).
    Setting the near-clipping-plane to 1 has always removed these artifacts.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Its an issue with clipping planes. For me this issue gets fixed when I increase the near slipping plane from 0.001 to 0.1.

But this depends on the scale you work at in Maya. If the units are meter setting it to 0.1 should be fine.