Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[wip] cyberpunk character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
razz polycounter lvl 9
Hello everyone!

I'm going to be modelling this character that I've designed. Polygons coming soon, here's the turnaround and concept for now.

raz_Aiko_turnaround_zps1e79bcee.jpg
raz_Aiko_concept_zps9b79c153.jpg

Replies

• razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Since I'm here, I thought I'll show you all the progress instead of just the cool bits. Maybe some people will find that interesting too. Most of the modelling will be done in Maya.

Here goes
    raz_model_wip001_zps095c8ecd.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice and even, I hope you can post up more of these smaller steps as you go along.
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Gyarados, thank you, will do!

Ok, even though far from being finished, here's the face. I'm having a hard time making her look Asian. All those Jackie Chan movies and nothing...
    raz_model_wip002_zps93921921.jpg
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Like the design.

Just be careful when making your chars head. I. Your turn around concepts, from the front she looks almost male. Your other concept drawing look awesome though.

Also if I think I would be cool if you actually made the stomach plate stick out as well as the rest of the other bits. In less your going for a current gen Polly limit.

For the Asian look try lowing the bit of skin above the eye perhaps. I don't know sometimes these things work.

As gryarados said hope you post steps as you go!
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    JoshVanZuylen, thanks! I wasn't modeling the head using my turnaround, just used some random photos, that's why I had the trouble of making her look more asian later on. About the stomach plate, the design changed there and I got rid of it. See below.

I didn't want to post this painting, because it's not finished yet, but I guess it won't hurt if I do.

raz_concept_wip001_zps32ac9108.jpg

And some more work on the head. I'm a bit happier about it now.

raz_model_wip003_zps1aee70d4.jpg
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    I see now. I like your concept even though its not finished. I got confused on my part by the stomach but your color concept fixed that for me haha.

Your head is starting to look more Asian well done.

It looks like you have an Ngon to the left of the left ear down the bottom?
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks again, JoshVanZuylen. I just need to continue the loop to the corner of the mouth to get rid of that Ngon, forgot about that ;]

This is what I've been working on these past few days. Damn it took me too much time, but the rest of the body should go faster. This arm is probably the most complicated part in it.
    raz_model_wip004_zps07593fac.jpg
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Looking cool - a fan of the tattoos :)

Are you using ZBrush for any of this? I ask because it might be quicker to mask out tight armor like that rather than worrying about the topology for those plates, which can be a pain. Either way though, it's shaping up.
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Gav, no Zbrush yet, all in Maya now, but I will do a sculpting pass. Besides, I don't know Zbrush well enough to tackle hard surface sculpting. It would've have been a great exercise, though. Topology was a pain for this and it's quite a mess, I just hope it won't come out too much when sculpting. Thanks for stopping by ;]

Did some more work. Almost everything is blocked in and ready for sculpting.
    Need to do some work on the back and the criss cross pattern on the sides. Speaking of which, any suggestions how to model that? I'm thinking of doing some retopology in that area to match it, but that would be a bit time consuming. Hmm?

razmodelwip006.jpg
    razmodelwip005.jpg
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    My effort in Zbrush. Still quite a few pieces untouched, but that will come soon. Some things to fix, like the silhouette of the cybernetic arm and pieces fitting together nicely, but yeah, enjoying it. I was like, "why the hell did I model that much in Maya?". Could've made things a lot easier for myself, not to mention faster and probably with better results. Feel really bad for not learning Zbrush sooner, amazing piece of software.

P.S. Forgive me for the real small images, I'll do better next time.

razmodelwip009.jpg
    razmodelwip008.jpg
    razmodelwip007.jpg
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, I love the concept and your translating it beautifully. Can't wait to see it finished.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good, man. I really like the direction you're going with this!

That said, the proportions of the arms feels a little off to me in your latest post. The mechanical arm feels much bulkier and more masculine than her other arm. I'd say the shoulders deltoids feel overly beefy as well and are making her shoulders feel fairly broad. As a final note, I much prefer the proportions of her face and head in your concept painting as opposed to your model. I hope this helps, I look forward to seeing more updates!
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Thepapercut, thanks, man! Still a long way to go, but I'm enjoying every step ;]

Sebeuroc, glad you like it ;] I've changed the arm and shoulder proportions. it does look better thin. I made them bulky at first because I wanted a unique silhouette, but it probably wasn't worth it. The face is a hard one, though. I wasn't going for the likeness in my concept at the end, but simply making her look Asian. So, yeah..;] Thanks a bunch for the critique!

Did this for presentation purposes at school only, not the final pose or anything. I'll post some images later, deadline is coming. I'll move on to low poly next, yay!
    [vv]62409484[/vv]
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking good. I have some questions if you dont mind answering them.

What year of study are you at? are most of the students at the same level as you?
    How do you do the hair? What sort of planning do you do beforehand?
    Did you model the whole body or just the parts visible?
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Gyarados, yeah, no problem. I'm in my first year of studies. The education is 3 and a half years (I think ;D), internship included. Not everyone is at my level, but people are good at different things. I had some 3d knowledge prior to education, most of the students in my class didn't. The hair so far is just planes, I'll be looking into ways of doing some nice low-poly hair. I've seen a thread somewhere in here with a cool looking technique, might look into that one. What kind of planning are you talking about? For this whole project? I must say this project was quite a mess at the start, I was not sure what the end result has to be and I thought we won't be sculpting, so as you can see in my previous posts the base mesh is a bit over the top with details. I can talk more about this, just tell me what you want to know about the planning. I've modeled only the visible parts, but I did block out a naked body at first, it just didn't go anywhere past the look you see in post #2.
    Let me know if you have any other questions ;]

The promised bigger images
    razmodelwip010.jpg
    razmodelwip011.jpg
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Working on the low poly now, anything to keep in mind?
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the direction this is going and it can be really cool so you have to rework the anatomy of the arms before you go low poly, especially the armpit and shoulder joints. also reconsider the position of the elbow join on the mech arm since it doesn't make sense for metal to suddenly bend..
    I recommend looking a human skeleton or a model of a human skeleton as well, you can learn alot.

The eyes also look really tiny for a female, maybe its ok, but I recommend doing a short study of eyes, even slit eyes before advancing.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming back from being sick the last few days, you've definitely refined it quite a bit and it in my opinion continues to look awesome as ever. Also as a person whose working on his first real character, I love watching amazing character artists on here and their work progression.

Can't wait to see the final results!
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    The_Blenderer, thank you for the feedback. I tried fixing most of the stuff, overlayed a skeleton too to see if things are correct. Hopefully it will look better ;]

Thepapercut, thanks! Well, most of the things are quite new to me and I'm just learning as I go. Still far from finished, but I'll get there, eventually ;]

Something completely unrelated to this project, but I don't want to leave this post without images. A study I did for hard surface modelling, sniper from Borderlands 2, all made in Maya.
    razgunwip01.jpg
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Start of the low poly. Harder than I thought, had to start over three times.

razmodelwip012.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    looking great!