Home Technical Talk

UDK Cinematic Compression

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
I have a few cinematics that i'm putting into a demo reel. These cinematics are AVI's from Unreal. Issue is they are 5-10gb because of the 1080 HD quality. I'm putting these into After Effects to create the demo reel, but i'm wondering is there a way to grab those AVI's and compress them without losing the quality. I've google searched it and there is alot of applications but I want to ask on here and see if anyone has a way of doing this.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Edit them together in after effects or premier and then downscale them in there to the resolution that you want. This way the video will render out and only be compressed once, instead of twice. Also why wouldn't you want to do 1080p? The file is so large because it was probably uncompressed recorded video. Once you edit all the 1080p video together and do a render to h.264, or something like that, it will be far less in file size. Source video is always larger than the final put together rendered video. You could also render out a 1080p, 720p, and 480p version to have different file sizes if you need them.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6