Home Technical Talk

QRemesher Anyone ?

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
Hello people. Just wanted to ask a quick question.

Is there anyone who uses QRemesher tool of ZBrush here ?

I am working on my first " serious" character model here an now it comes down to retopology; something I have never done before. I always worked from low poly to high poly. This is the first time I do it. And I am doing it by exporting lowest subdivision level of mesh from ZBrush to 3ds Max and then deleting edgeloops there. I know there is this Retopology tool there in ZBrush but I am not sure how much time that is gonna take :)
I found that tool while in the search for a quicker solution. So is there anyone who uses that a lot and can tell us how fast it is compared to retoplogy in Zbrush and deleting edgeloops ?

Also, how do you do it guys ? I guess everyone does it by retopology in ZBrush ?

Oh here is some intel on the tool. Almost forgot :D

http://pixologic.com/zbrush/features/QRemesher-retopology/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RE4z7p09I"]QRemesher Introduction - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i do my retopo in 3dcoat...
    take also a look at topogun...
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    Qremesher is good, but not great, if you want a really clean retopo you might be able to use it as a base but most people retopo their stuff either 3DCoat (Which has some pretty strong retopo tools), Zbrush, topogun or just the modelling package you are familiar with.

But in the end you should just try it out yourself, if you feel like Qremesher gives you better results than using your base and deleting edgeloops I'd say go for Qremesher.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    QRemesher is fast (potentially done in seconds), but with human characters it can be harder to get good results. You have to spend a lot more time setting up the control curves, and it often has the problem where it wants to turn everything into a giant spiral instead of having a bunch of edgeloops running down an arm.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I use it for clothing mostly, works great! capes, pants, hoods, belts n stuff like that.

things I DONT recomend Qremesher for; bodies, hands, heads, hard-surface stuff.
    when you need precision you should do it yourself.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I don't mean to promote buying other software but Topogun is specifically made for retopo and is the most intuitive software out there (it'll take you an hour at most to get the hang of the tools) and it's really cheap. Also Topogun is prefered over zbrushes topo tools to some people simply because it's faster to their preference.

The off hand is you can do some extra situational subdiv modeling in Topogun as well if you think it's too one dimensional.

Ofc this is my biased information because this is what I use to retopo.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It has a high learning curve, but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to figure out honestly, and you can even predict what kind of loops it will give you over time.

Just remember that it was made by "The Doctor" who also contributed to 3DC is using the same formula in here, so it doesn't matter if you 3DC of QR, they both serve the same math.

Lastly, don't limit yourself to QR, the other "draw lines and extrude" tool are the perfect solution to hard edges, it literally like having a freeform extrude tool in your hand!

Lastly, it actually does have a proper functioning symmetry tool, and saves iterative states, not to mention, the vertices don't jumble pending on camera distance, which is something it's 2 major competitors haven't fixed in well over 2 years.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Same as lotet here, I use it to retopo clothing that I mashed out with dynamesh
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    found it fairly useless tbh, still use max for retopo or the 'old' zbrush method
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Excited to see whether Mudbox '14 will be getting retopo tools finally..

http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/03/sneak-peek-new-technology-in-mudbox-2014/
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TvNhU8_cJM&list=HL1363079313"]Dynamesh 5 High to low poly..mp4 - YouTube[/ame]
    Found this to be interesting...seems like a good start to qRemesher
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    It has a high learning curve, but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to figure out honestly, and you can even predict what kind of loops it will give you over time.

Just remember that it was made by "The Doctor" who also contributed to 3DC is using the same formula in here, so it doesn't matter if you 3DC of QR, they both serve the same math.

Lastly, don't limit yourself to QR, the other "draw lines and extrude" tool are the perfect solution to hard edges, it literally like having a freeform extrude tool in your hand!

Lastly, it actually does have a proper functioning symmetry tool, and saves iterative states, not to mention, the vertices don't jumble pending on camera distance, which is something it's 2 major competitors haven't fixed in well over 2 years.

Nice deatiled advice there mate ! I really didn't know these.

I use it for clothing mostly, works great! capes, pants, hoods, belts n stuff like that.

things I DONT recomend Qremesher for; bodies, hands, heads, hard-surface stuff.

Another nice one.

Also the last vid ! It really looked nice and fast. So even for nothing it "may" helo reducing the overall time by retopoiing ( :D ) accessories.

I will try and post results here. Thanks everyone !
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Oh ! I also wanna ask while I have the chance.

How long does it take you to retopo a complicated character model ? Mine has taken 1 day ( 8 hours - with everything included, hairs, clothes accessories ect. )