Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Jack M.

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jack M. interpolator
I'm Jack, and I will be posting updates here hopefully a couple times a week until the "Escape" project is finished. I'm going solo on this project. In doing this project I am aiming at pushing my modeling, level design, and overall aesthetic appeal to my maps to a whole new level. I've never competed before so I hope this will give me some practice in meeting deadlines as well as simply stepping up my game.

With that being said, the premise behind my idea is that when the main character awakens he finds himself between ice bluffs in the arctic (where a lot of adrenaline junkies go climbing) with an ice stalagmite (or stalactite because I can't seem to remember which is which) pierced completely through his right thigh. At the bottom of this icy canyon the player is forced to walk and eventually climb out of it. He therefore must escape the icy chasm.

Hope you guys like the premise and I'll be working in the Cryengine 3 sdk.

Replies

• Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    This is just a quick update. Did some basic blocking in of the basic "chasm" that I wanted to create in order to get a real sense of scale and how big I wanted the chasm to be. All of the art as of now is placeholder and will be replaced by art created by me down the road a bit.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I'm starting to block in the basic geometry using rocks for the forest demo. I will obviously remake them and apply a icy shader to them as well as the textures. I also did some color correction just to start getting a feel for what it should look like. I would like some input here. Should I use a lower saturation on the environment or do you guys like the higher saturation (I'm slightly inclined on the higher saturation, but slightly lower saturation than what's shown).
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Got some new progress today. Added a bunch more geometry (I think I will use this shot angle from now on until I get closer to the finish). I changed the lighting a little bit. I also added snow to the scene. The blockout stage is coming along nicely while normally I would wait to add a lot of the VFX until later I wanted to better capture the feeling I was trying to think of. I hope you guys like the updates. Give me some feedback if you guys want (I know it's a competition). Also the rocks are still placeholders and therefore the darkness of the textures will be fixed (the contrast and saturation mix completely blackens the textures when really close because of their already dark nature).