Home Unity

Where is the specular texture slot in Unity?

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Hello

Where do i put my specular texture in Unity? there does not seam to be a slot for the texture? The shader is a cutaway - Transparent/Cutout/Bumped

Diffuse
Normal
Specular ?

I have taken a screen shot to show you what i mean.
Medical1.jpg

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i think the default shaders read the spec map from the alpha diffuse, and its greyscale only. i'd strongly recommendy grabbing strumpy's shader editor (for a node based solution) or writting a shader yourself as the standard shaders are not so great for a few things like this

edit: just noticed you said its a transparent shader.
    Not too sure on that one then, it could possibly be in the nm's alpha? i cant say i've used a transparent shader combined with specular before so i'm not 100% sure.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    You need to make shader that accepts separate specular or you can use channel packing to archieve this. Usually specular goes to diffuse alpha when using built-in materials.
  • Beelzeboss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Strumpy work with Unity 4?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    It works, but I get a lot of DX11 errors with it. Once you export the shader, just google the errors for a few fixes.
  • Beelzeboss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Monster I will take a look at it. It will certainly be useful
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    check out this page to see some unity shaders they have a bumpcolorspec shader, dont know if that helps http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Shaders#General
  • Svojto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svojto polycounter lvl 4
    hi guys,
    i need quick help.. I just downloaded the free U 4.5.5 and I have to do some work in it.. I am total unity noob, and my assign is to make some asset with Diff/specular/normal .. so, I have the same problem like you. Strumpy absolutely doesnt work and I have no time to solve these problems...Writing of some custom thing is too too much time to Don´t you know if is this shader somewhere to download? It has to be written or made in strumpy by someone :D .. it is soo standart combination of maps

thanks
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    in all versions of Unity, spec is the alpha channel in any diffuse texture, slap it in there (via photoshop or whatever) then choose "diffuse specular" basic shader and hey presto!

alpha-1.gif

(they don't really explain this anywhere, I understand your pain)

If you want to combine with Transparency, theres a shader that will take pure 0,0,0 black and use that as cutout, anything above pure black in the Alpha channel will be used for specularity values: Transparent Bumped Specular.

Shader-TransBumpSpec.png

Unity5 has a few more options, and their default shader covers all this kinda stuff in a better way.

standarda-png.116928