Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: tot tot

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
tottot polycounter lvl 10
I wanted to start a sketchbook here for feedback and to track my progress primarily focusing on the 2d side of things. Here are two hand painted textures I've done recently. I would GREATLY appreciate any critiques and advice, I think hand painting textures has become a drug of sorts for me. I cant get enough of it.

A standard stone brick:

brick01_zps778348bb.jpg

Some tree bark:

bark01_zps359d3f9f.jpg

Heres a unique map for a rock with some moss (I'll update the texture and post the model per critiques):

boulder01_zps136ca133.jpg

I have a few that need some more love before posting. More to come.

[EDIT] After looking at these on another monitor other than my cintiq, seems the levels and colors are a bit off, I tried to update them to compensate. I need to find/make an action that compensates for the darker screened older model cintiqs.

Replies

• tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    Some wood/metal texture from a project:

wood01_zpsae92e1d8.jpg
  • yiannisk
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    i like them but the style is a bit old school.
    depending on how you wanted to make it look this could be either good or bad! :)
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks yiannisk, Im trying to improve my hand painted texture skills when applying it towards a more stylized look (think world of warcraft). So I hope that means you think these still look good :)
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a window from another project, looking for some pointers. I need to figure out a better solution to the wall.

window01_zpsf0bb007a.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Firm up the edges of the wood planks. The middle bits are cool then they get real soft at the edges.

The inbetween areas are a bit undefined too. I think there is too much value change on that surface.

The faked interior is a neat idea just make the shapes more defined. Add some contrast highlights on the window too.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa, love these, especially the window! It all feels really expressive :)!
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jeff Parrott thanks man! I really appreciate all the crits youve been giving. I agree, that middle area is undefined, I need to make it look more like plaster. Good points on the window, I didnt realize it was so unfinished.

@Jessica Dinh thank you! Im a huge fan of your stuff so it means alot!
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    This started out as a few broad strokes which turned into this rock texture:

rocks01_zps380029c1.jpg

Im still not sure if the levels are reading properly, it looks fine on my monitor, but on my cintiq (the original 21x grey ones) it looks dark. So Im trying to balance a happy medium.
  • bounchfx
    these are looking really solid man, I dig. My only 'complaint' is that a lot of the rocks are getting pretty noisy, but that's a personal preference. I think lowering the contrast on a lot of the detail within the big rock shapes could help overall readability. Then again, I'm not seeing these tiled so I don't know if it's an issue when applied to a mesh, it's just the feeling I'm getting.

the wood looks good too, just make sure you keep an eye on the interior shapes you're designing. some subtle flowing shapes and gnarled areas might help sell the 'wood' feeling better, but they read well as is, and it depends what 'type' of wood you want it to be (if anything in particular).

but yeah man, lookin sweet!
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    @bounchfx hey dude! Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Those rocks kinda went from a texture to just an odd painting of some rocks, they certainly need work if theyre to be better utilized as a texture. Good point on the wood, thanks man!

Heres a quick (like 10 min) metal/bronze I did, hopefully it doesnt look too dark on your monitor. It looks fine on mine, but a bit dark on my cintiq (ongoing problem....)

metal01_zpsb0fed49e.jpg

A bulk of these textures are for a project Im updating which I'll post at some point in the future when I feel these textures are improved upon.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Holy crud I love the rock texture o_o The bronze doesn't look too dark to me, but it does look super red/saturated. Also I think the damage is very stone-like; I don't think metal really crumbles or cracks the way you have it? Probably more like dents or slashes/scratches. And then since it seems to be a really old piece of bronze, would be cool to see the patina more apparent in places :)

Love these textures so much, I can't wait to see the project you're working on :0