Home General Discussion

Stereotypes in video games?

Muzza123
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Muzza123 polycounter lvl 7
Hi,
I'm currently writing a paper on stereotypes of minority characters within video games, by stereotypes I mean the typical portrayal of female and ethnic characters; these can be both visual based or personality wise.

I want to get the views of gamers and designers/developers for this topic, so as artists do you think stereotypes of characters exist? If so do these stereotypes effect the way you design characters? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, I'm not here to complain or spread my opinions on this topic, I'm just here to collect opinions on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ratio of normal female characters to barely clothed female characters? Not too much of a margin there. Female characters in games, while there are a few titles that feature a female heroine or a female in a lead role, are more often than not minor characters for the player to view as eye candy and mostly unimportant (more so than minor male characters) to the lead (usually male) character. And how often do you see a sexy male character in a speedo in games? Obviously not much, if at all. No doubt this has to do with decades of male gamers and developers dominating the industry :poly124:
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    If you're writing a paper, some original research rather than opinions would be a good idea. These are the kinds of things I'd look for:

* Who was/were the lead(s)? What gender and race did they have?
    * Who are the support cast? What genders and races do they have?

Of the characters of non-normative gender: (i.e. women in a game featuring mostly men)
    * Are the depicted as equals?
    * Are they generally weaker and stealthier? Or stronger and more verbal? A mix of the two?
    * Do the women wear less clothing or tighter clothing? Are costumes shared among genders?
    * What ages are the women? What ages are the men? Are there any women over 50? Are there any men over 50?
    * Are the women depicted as attractive? Are there any ugly-but-cool women? How about the men?

Of the characters of non-normative race (i.e. non-caucasians in a primarily caucasian game, non-Japanese in a primarily japanese game):
    * Are they depicted as equals?
    * Are they more mysterious?
    * Is their race based on a real race, or is it made-up?
    * Do they have secret powers? Are the powers associated with their race?
    * Is their race depicted as natural mystical savages or a noble and forgotten civilisation? If so, and they are a real race, does this match reality?
    * Are the characters added for comedy? Is their accent or speech pattern used for comedy?

Of the normative race and gender (i.e. white men in a game containing mostly white men):
    * What traits do they show as typical of their group? Are these typical gender roles? Are these traits seen as mandatory or as making these characters better than the other characters?
    * How much variety is there in these characters?
    * Do the non-normative characters deviate as far from norm as the normative characters? Here I'm saying, if you've got lots of white men and one woman, how much difference is there between them? How different from an average woman is the woman? Is she white? Does she show typical traits of femininity, or is she sassy/dominant/independent/the leader/nonsexualised?

And if you don't do the research, you should be able to work out from the questions what I think are the major stereotypes :) I'm not judging any of these stereotypes as bad, mind you, but I do think they're commonly caused by short-circuit, lazy writing.
  • Makkon
  • Paznos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paznos triangle
    Oh god it's this thread again.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Here at polycount we rebel to stereotypical portrayal of women by drawing/modeling all our girls with penises.
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JamesOrdner I'd agree that females are becoming more clothed, however personally I think majority of the time they are used for eye candy.

@KurtRussellFanClub Thanks for the reply, some really good questions there that I'll take into account. For the paper I plan to collect articles, characters references and players/designers opinions on this topic; the main question for the paper is "Does the portrayal of minority characters in a game effect the overall outcome of a game for the player?" I want to know if gamers are growing tired of these stereotypes and do designers/developers need to change their ways.

@Snader I remember seeing a tweet from Cliff Bleszinski about people creating characters with large breasts on CGHub and how they we're undermining their talents, I've seen similar things on the Polycount forums and I want to know the reasons behind why people do this.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Hijacking a little, but are chainmail bikini costumes really that common now? Western games seem to have outgrown it.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Aye games are starting to rebel against the typical naked women and making it more main stream. I'd love to see a game with equal ratio of half naked men to women. Pretty hilarious .
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Paznos wrote: »

This.

Oh god.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Muzza123 wrote: »
    @Snader I remember seeing a tweet from Cliff Bleszinski about people creating characters with large breasts on CGHub and how they we're undermining their talents, I've seen similar things on the Polycount forums and I want to know the reasons behind why people do this.

Because shock horror, people like to create things they find appealing?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    That whole undermining talent comment is just plain dumb. Hazardous creates beautiful women because thats what he likes making. I've seen him post a journal on deviantart about it and I agree with him wholeheartedly. Make what YOU want to make and the jobs will find you. If you make something you don't enjoy just to get a job it will show in the final product.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Makkon wrote: »

Saw this the other day; wanted to link it here but had forgotten where I'd seen it hah!:)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »
    Hijacking a little, but are chainmail bikini costumes really that common now? Western games seem to have outgrown it.

It's very common in MMO's still.
    @Snader I remember seeing a tweet from Cliff Bleszinski about people creating characters with large breasts on CGHub and how they we're undermining their talents

Fair play to him. I'm very critical of the man but if he did actually say that colour me impressed. :) Cliffy B is all growed up! :_)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Aye games are starting to rebel against the typical naked women and making it more main stream. I'd love to see a game with equal ratio of half naked men to women. Pretty hilarious .

you didnt play Terra? pretty much everyone there is half naked.

in a world where CoD is the most successfull gamebrand, where is the point in asking for the situation of stereotypes.

I honestly think this whole minority-stereotype stuff is more an issue if you are looking at movies. most modern games handle that stuff pretty decently imo.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah some characters are designed off of stereotypes and can be highly exaggerated versions of what they are, but can't say I really see it for minorities though. Red Dead Redemption and The Saboteur use the drunk irish stereotype, and actually The Saboteur uses a lot of stereotypes, but not really concerning minorities. There are differences when it comes to creating specific races but it's not really stereotypes and more anatomical differences. Will be interesting to see what you find.
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Because shock horror, people like to create things they find appealing?

By all means, people should stick to what they like, even if that means never going beyond their childhood comic book fantasies that probably got them into art in the first place.

If these artists don't mind being regarded as perpetual 14-year-olds, more power to them. c:
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I realise your field of study isn't mine, but a topic as 'depiction of minorities in video games' would be of a completely unacceptable scale for a mere paper where I'm from; it requires a book, at least, and years of study. I don't mean to be dismissive of the area in general, but game designers underestimate the outputs of the academia by ridiculous amounts, and, quite frankly, I don't see how you can tackle something at this level with the necessary bagage; I saw what was on the shelf for a class on gender in film as some basic literature and it must've been 3000 pages worth at least. I wonder you can write more than "hey, stereotypes are bad, here are some examples" — which isn't paper material.

Instead, why not narrow it down to something you could actually write a 5000 or 10000 word paper on, like applying Edward Said's controversial 1978 book Orientalism to Prince of Persia?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    So applying New-Age Censorship vs. Old-Age Censorship in my free-time is OK?

It's funny on how people who ask 'Live and let live' for their own life are the very first ones to make condescending remarks on other peoples 'Likes' or what they do in their free time.

Essentially, New-Age Bigotry on what is a 'unsullied' standard vs. Old-Age Bigotry standard. Talk about repeat of history in the totally opposite spectrum.

Listen, we're literally publishing 1,000's of games in a single year alone, between 2-8 games a day, in 2009, over 1099 games were published, and these are 'registered' games, that number is straggling higher with unregistered games on non-Steam or Console platforms, not to mention the millions of flash games that come out in a single month.

We're literally producing 2-4 times more games in a single day in the Western world then the whole world is making movies in a single day.

What entitlement does one have to go to my portfolio, not game, product or service, but literally a 'FOLIO and judge me if I make the occasional girl with with large breasts as if that dictates me as a person? Does that mean anyone who makes Robots has a Mech-fetish? Or anyone who makes monsters with gore? Are they into Guro?

By that definition, people like Cliffy B. are Rabbit loving, Muscle growing, Vore fetishist's with daddy issues.

It's not your right, nor anyone else, I'm not promoting hate speech, I'm not promoting racism, I'm literally making a bunch of polygons look like the 'fat bags' on women body in a sterile, 3D environment in my free-time, help me improve my model by all means, but don't come in and think this model represents who I am or my ideologies.

Just because the game industry is the last place on Earth left that even remotely listens to it's fanbase doesn't mean they have to right to bring their grudge from the Comic, Movie, Show, and Work industry (not to mention upbringing and culture) and verbally throw their emotional baggage at your everyday artist that is doing something in their spare-time.

If you have problem with any of the -ism's, then please take it up with the rest of the culture in the world and the respective industries that aren't listening to you, don't get condescending with a passive-aggressive comment against an artist who is doing something in their spare time on CG-Hub and what they do.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would it be considered inappropriate to start cat bombing these threads? Or is the unwritten rule about cats that they only go in "polycount is not your blog" threads?

Joking of course, I have complete faith that this thread will provide meaningful new insights into a topic that doesn't get rehashed every week here.
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zwebbie I'm not planning to write about "stereotypes are bad blah blah", the aim of the paper is to show examples of stereotypes and the get the perspective views of gamers and designers and whether there is a reasoning behind the inclusion of these stereotypes and whether they effect the gamers outlook of the game. I understand its a large subject but its something I'm interested in and I would like to see what other peoples views are on this topic.

The fact that majority of lead characters are white males make me think developers are afraid of changing things up due to the current styles of characters selling well, I know there are examples of female or ethical lead characters but they are still outnumbered and usually forced into a side character role either used for eye candy or just a sidekick role. But even as a lead character or side character there are still certain stereotypes that still occur, whether these stereotypes are good or bad are personal opinions, which is what I'm trying to collect at the moment.

I have an example of a character that breaks the mould of stereotype, Aveline from Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, she's a strong female black lead character but she's the lead character in the spin off game of the main series, being on the Vita the character is only accessible to a smaller market, which raises the question of why couldn't she have been the main character in the main series?
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Snader wrote: »
    Here at polycount we rebel to stereotypical portrayal of women by drawing/modeling all our girls with penises.

Think you might be the only one that got that memo :poly142:

So.. all I can say about stereotypes is that some people are paying good money for them.

The stereotypes that aren't making money aren't going anywhere.

This is all.
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ace-Angel I don't want to come across as some who agrees with what Cliffy said, I agree that people should create what ever they fancy, I was just stating a view of a games industry heavyweight.

I don't want to come across as someone stating Stereotypes are bad and should be banished from games, I understand some stereotypes are required to give characteristics. I was aiming to create an open ended post, where I can see what peoples opinions are on this topic.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    @Muzza123: I respect your choice and it's a good thing to be interested, but I just typed "video games stereotypes" into Google Scholar and while not all of the 44,500 results were relevant (a majority of them are, in fact, not) there's a loooooooot written about sexism in games.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    personally i'm sick of all these muscular guys in games. where are all the real men with curves?
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an example of a character that breaks the mould of stereotype, Aveline from Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, she's a strong female black lead character but she's the lead character in the spin off game of the main series, being on the Vita the character is only accessible to a smaller market, which raises the question of why couldn't she have been the main character in the main series?
    Because games with female leads generally do not sell as well as their male equivalent games. There is an ongoing debate about whether or not this is legitimately the result of lack of demand for games with female protagonists, or if this is a self-fulfilling prophecy caused by the fact that games with female protagonists are usually given smaller marketing budgets, possibly because of the free advertising they receive by virtue of having a female protagonist and/or the fact that because the games generally don't sell well producers try to minimize risk by reducing their investment.

Unfortunately because there are so few games with female leads it's hard to form any meaningful conclusions about what the lack of sales is being caused by. But then since when has lack of evidence stopped anyone from forming an opinion?

When one failed title can submarine your entire studio it's not hard to understand why people don't want to take risks with huge franchises on games with several million dollar budgets. So when they do take risks it usually starts small, like for example... a PSVita game.
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how many people can write a thesis on this?
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Based on your original questions ("so as artists do you think stereotypes of characters exist? If so do these stereotypes effect the way you design characters?") it sounds like you're getting a pretty interesting answer, and a fair amount of dismissal in different forms. A pretty good start for that paper, really.
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    @Muzza123: I respect your choice and it's a good thing to be interested, but I just typed "video games stereotypes" into Google Scholar and while not all of the 44,500 results were relevant (a majority of them are, in fact, not) there's a loooooooot written about sexism in games.

I've done some research and planning before I posted this, there are a lot of papers that discuss sexism in video games but they tend touch on the subject via examples and get opinions from female gamers.

Whether this is different or not, my approach is to ask the opinions of gamers and creators and whether they have an understandable link that give reason to these stereotypes.
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand this can be a touchy subject and some of you may think I'm just regurgitating what others have asked, but I seriously want to know the link between what players want in a character and what developers give. I want to know what your opinions are, as gamers and artists, on the design and portrayal of female characters or ethical characters or even the generic white male characters.

As artists, what makes you decide the gender or race of the characters you produce? What leads you to certain design features?

As gamers, do you think stereotypes exist in the games? If so, is it a negative thing? Does it effect your experience of the game?

Btw I'm really surprised by the amount responses I'm getting, I wasn't expecting so many, quite a few mixed opinions as well which is brilliant. Thanks everyone and keep em coming.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think the main issue with games and stereotypes is that they don't really explore characters, or have much variety in characters. You're a hero, you can be good or bad in some games, but pretty much you are a macho man that saves the day.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I think a lot of problems in the game industry occur from the lack of women and minorities in the game industry. And though judging from first hand experience which isn't the best to look into but I would say artists tend to draw more of stuff they associate themselves with. They make what they like and since there is an over abundance of straight white males, it means there will be an over abundance of skimpy women. I think the best way to fight this is not tell someone what not to make but encourage more people from different walks of life into the game industry.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    LRoy wrote: »
    personally i'm sick of all these muscular guys in games. where are all the real men with curves?

I agree, we men are not objects and should be celebrated for our minds, not our bodies.

Edit: PIGS!
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    I've spent the last 18 months freelancing on kid's TV pilots - one last year had a multi-ethnicity cast with a black lead and at least two of the major broadcasters have refused to pick it up for it being 'too ethnic'. The latest one I've been working on I pushed hard to have any kind of ethnic characters represented at all - the female lead I designed started out afro-caribbean, then was shifted to south asian and eventually became hispanic - all on the words of broadcasters saying that an all-white cast was necessary to maximise sales. Any of my protestations (needing aspirational role models, reflecting modern diversity, avoiding 'white people save the world' issues) fell on deaf ears. And I'm currently at a studio where there's at least a third women, and people of all colours and creeds all the way up the chain; at the end of the day I feel like it all comes down to boardrooms and figures and charts and market research and maximising sales projections, rather than (the still very pressing issue of) under-representation of many groups in the creative industry.

I don't doubt for a second that games publishers aren't exactly the same - artistic control over design issues like ethnicities, gender, how much skin needs to be flashed or muscle should be on show, would likely be dictated from above by money-men and very rarely have anything at all to do with us as individual artists, no matter how much we might want to push for them.

I will say, though, there's a lot of clumsy stereotyping around but it doesn't mean stereotypes aren't a very, very useful tool in portraying character (strong alpha dudes do need to be bulky and handsome in some way, beauty queens will be most recognisable when they're beautiful and overly made-up, bikers portrayed as bearded, tattooed, leather dudes). It almost seems easier to me to design a character when I think outside of the 'white/handsome' box - it's more fun coming up with backstories and researching other cultural signifiers and fashions and finding ways to subvert from the 'expected' characterisation for a particular type. But I think you still need to work from an understanding and sympathetic recognition of stereotypes in order to understand how an audience 'see's' a character.

TL;DR - to answer your question - I try to look at the expected stereotype of a cast of characters and see if I can try and push or twist it in a way that might create something more interesting for that character. If I can also help get in more positive, non-stereotypical role models for underrepresented groups, or reflect as many diversities as possible, it would be in the hopes that at least some of it survives the blandifying or objectifying machinations of the money-men that dictate how marketable a production is. What people make in their own time, though - totally whatever they enjoy most, I guess!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I honestly feel minorities in video games would be a more interesting subject, there's been plenty of talks and articles about how women are represented in games, but not as much on minorities.
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can understand the idea of this subject being quite broad, I don't really want to concentrate on either female or minorities characters, I want to do a collective on them both.

I'm very interested in what Stabbington mentioned about people higher up the chain of production having a say on the character ethnicity, also what Mstankow mentioned about the lack of females and minorities in the industry. Would you say the business side has a major factor when it comes to the gender or race of game characters?
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    What the fuck, guys. He said, "what are your views on stereotypes", not "I'm going to take away ALL OF YOUR BOOBS"

It's not that thread unless you turn it into that thread
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I haven't played the whole Ballad of Gay Tony for GTA 4 but for the first few hours I have really enjoyed it's portrayal of homosexuals and gay culture.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I can understand the idea of this subject being quite broad, I don't really want to concentrate on either female or minorities characters, I want to do a collective on them both.

I'm very interested in what Stabbington mentioned about people higher up the chain of production having a say on the character ethnicity, also what Mstankow mentioned about the lack of females and minorities in the industry. Would you say the business side has a major factor when it comes to the gender or race of game characters?

Well if this paper is going to be graded on academic merit by a liberal arts teacher rather than just making game art students write a paper to be graded by a game art teacher then maybe you SHOULD narrow it down to one or the other. The point of a thesis/research paper is to be as precise as possible with your subject matter.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Paznos wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess it would be stupid off me to ignore the advice of 4/5 people telling me to narrow own, so I think I will however I'm not too sure which to narrow down to, I feel both females and minorities are as important as each other but like ZacD said; there is a lot of discussion on sexism in games already so I may opt with minority characters.

Going back to my previous comment, do people believe there is a business factor that effects the choice of race for a main character?

Thanks again to everyone for commenting
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Well I guess it would be stupid off me to ignore the advice of 4/5 people telling me to narrow own, so I think I will however I'm not too sure which to narrow down to, I feel both females and minorities are as important as each other but like ZacD said; there is a lot of discussion on sexism in games already so I may opt with minority characters.

Going back to my previous comment, do people believe there is a business factor that effects the choice of race for a main character?

Thanks again to everyone for commenting

Of course there is. They look at the target audience and try and appeal to them often times. I mean guys like to feel strong and cool or some shit. So why play as a girl for war games? It's just not what makes sense from a business standpoint. The truth is no matter what you choose someone will see it as being one sided so I say who gives a fuck.

Furthermore guys like hot girls, so why make girls barley dressed? It's not that hard to figure out.

I mean advertising is the same fucking way. Have you ever seen the difference between say a magazine add in the us and in Russia? If there is one black guy or two in the US ad, they will make them all white in the Russian ones more often than not. It's just about hitting the right demographic and isn't a social issue.

It's not sexist or racist. Sure there are stereotypes in fucking everything. Sometimes things just are that way.

All I'm trying to say is that you can't make everyone happy. People are to easily offended and political correctness is absurd. I honestly didn't read the whole thread but I just kinda needed to rant so sorry.
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    I think the business side, along with general mass-market consumer trends, has a lot to do with pushing stereotypes, at least for the big studios.

To keep being profitable, and remain solvent, 'hypothetical AAA studio' needs consistent runs of best sellers or a franchise, or at the very least big investment from people/companies who expect a healthy return. There's very few companies that can take creative risks once they get over a certain size, because there's such a heavy requirement on operating costs to be met and there's a much larger proportion of executives, producers, marketing depts. and sales experts- so it becomes much more about making money, and much less about making art.

It seems to me that in our current market, following an established template is the preferred safe approach - sequels, remakes, reboots, knock-offs, etc. Obviously, cinema is the more blatant example of this and a good example overall - the majority of action blockbusters feature handsome white male buff-as leads - yet the audiences of blockbuster action films are presumably more diverse than the stereotyped audience of AAA FPS games. They simply make the most money, so that's what gets made, and big companies follow the most profit-making template as closely as possible in the hopes of replicating its success.

So, if the market best sellers show that FPS's with rugged, white, shaved-headed, stubble dudes are predominant in the best-sellers lists, then that becomes part of the visual template. Big companies are risk-averse, so sales figures and comparisons will be brought out, market research groups will be shown various tests and so on - unbelievable amounts of money can be spent on very rigorous psychological research testing (a friend of mine works in that particular industry), just to 'confirm' all these findings with focus groups.

This is where, when you get down to it, it all gets decided. If focus group/testers/marketers/"publisher experience"/etc or, even more horrifyingly, 'statistical proof' shows a white character will create more sales than a black character, then the black character is likely to be cut. Big market-driven companies will never go for something that might reduce profit, as harsh as that sounds, and this is where the orders eventually come down from.

So I believe a lot of the perpetuation of stereotypes in games come from - 'that's what our research and figures show sells best'. An ethnic lead might negatively influence sales, so why take the risk if you're solely about money generation? The art that gets made comes from 'who can do that (big muscle dude) the best that I can currently hire' using the 'art stipulations (big muscle dudes) that our committees have decided' and the whole cycle goes round again.

I think there are a lot of people who do tend to design characters solely in the 'caucasian hero' group, but there are also people out there who consciously try to represent outside of the normal stereotypes - I just think that these designs will most likely get nixed in production by executive decisions focused on 'widening the appeal' as much as possible. And, as above, the people entrenched at 'hypothetical AAA studio' are likely the kings of buff white dudes; whether this automatically makes them less likely to make or push for diversified characters, I wouldn't think is very realistic.

The real issue is that whatever sells well, will get made. I don't know how you break that cycle because it's about 'majority appeal' and the representation of 'minorities' by its nature makes it 'niche' and only (supposedly) marketable to such groups. Until more minority groups impact on the profitability of games or the majority becomes more interested in less stereotypical depictions, is a big company likely to invest in the risky enterprise of making a game that would only appeal to a smaller market?

The only way I think you'll see any major change in is if big companies or indies decide to take some risks and try and develop for a market outside of the long established middle-class white male stereotype. I think the Rockstar mention above is a good example of a company comfortable enough with its franchise's pulling power and are creatively assured enough to take such risks.

Maybe some kind of 'stereotype-fatigue' might set in, where people eventually begin to crave for 'different' or 'unusual' or 'new' again. But for now, I blame big business and people's love of bland, mass-market, predictable fare!
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel it's worth pointing out that risk aversion happens at the consumer end as well, when someone has to decide what to spend their $60 on they're much more likely to buy something they already know that they're probably going to enjoy because they recognize repetitive elements that they've seen in games they already know and like, rather than take a chance on a game they've never heard of that looks different from anything they've ever seen.

Consumers cry that developers never innovate and recycle the same crap, insisting that they only buy the same games over and over because "it's all that's available"

Developers cry that consumers don't allow them to take risks because they keep buying the same crap instead of more different games.

The incentive for both parties here is to keep making/buying the same things until they no longer provide what they want. Whether that be enjoyable games or sales stats. Only once they stop getting what they're looking for will they begin searching for it in other places.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12

I'm not sure I should be saying these things but what the hell.

Whilst not EXACTLY what you were asking, I'm 100% dead certain that questions like "What should the new Lara Croft look like?" Would have been one of, if not THE MOST hotly debated thing (in-house) in the entire production of the new tomb raider game.

And as for the artist(s) who actually built Lara - I would guess that he or she probably didn’t have too much say in the final look at all.

So when you ask questions like 'As artists, what makes you decide the gender or race of the characters you produce? What leads you to certain design features?' - the question to MOST character artists is kind of irrelevant because those decisions have often already been made for them.

Either on the 2d side for the modeler to simply replicate, or possibly even prior to any 2d being done because either the lead, the art director, or any number of producers, or higher ups already have in their mind what that female should look like - and they want to see it like that.

Another point, when it has come to the look of a female character in a game, if it’s not a likeness; it’s always been a 'design by committee' scenario.

And the design by committee has always (to me) lead to a watered down middle ground idea that satiates the requests of all the chiefs.

My entire career on or in the front lines of character production I've always been at the mercy of superiors who want things their way, which is understandable tbh. I don’t hate them, they are doing their job. Someone has to unify the vision. And almost certainly you will instantly divide the crowd by doing so, into lovers and haters.

I would LOVE as an artist, to simply create things the way I believe they should be created, BUT you have to remember in big business, and AAA titles with huge franchises that’s simply not how it works. Marketing is paramount. I've seen them strong-arm art teams time and time again, I think the most valuable information you could get would be from the marketing department on a franchise game and not the artists, because frankly in big teams they don’t have much say at all in the grand scheme of things.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the fuck, guys. He said, "what are your views on stereotypes", not "I'm going to take away ALL OF YOUR BOOBS"

It's not that thread unless you turn it into that thread

If it's mentioned in the OP it's fair game; and it was. 'typical portrayal of women in videogames' is there.

Nice posts stabbington. :)
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can understand the ideas of following the template of what sells, but do you feel these big publishers or developer are bit outdated when it comes to what consumers demands, look at Telltale's The Walking Dead game; respectively they aren't the biggest studio in the industry yet they managed to create a highly successful game which has a black lead character, It can be argued that game sold well on the back of The Walking Dead brand though.

This cycle that occurs, is it getting outdated? I've read articles, other forum posts and even reviews where people complain about the generic characters we see today, whether these are the opinions of the majority market, I guess not, but do you feel the fault of this cycle that occurs is equally shared with consumers and developers or do you think one side has more say in the matter?
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    The Walking Dead likely started out well because it's part of a bigger brand, but word of mouth seemed to be a powerful factor in that game's success. People heard it had fantastic writing, focused heavily on character, and hopped on board.

Re: generic characters getting outdated? Sure, I think so. If a game is creatively lacking and character designs are obvious, I'm going to go play a game that does put thought into their designs. Putting a hoodie on a character will only take you so far. At this point, yeah, I think it's fair to say I find some stock character designs off-putting.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    like others have said, the thing about the portrayal of women goes both ways. I see far too many muscular morons in games, not every man is a dumb blunt instrument (wearing 200 pounds of armor and carrying a big gun).
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can understand the ideas of following the template of what sells, but do you feel these big publishers or developer are bit outdated when it comes to what consumers demands, look at Telltale's The Walking Dead game; respectively they aren't the biggest studio in the industry yet they managed to create a highly successful game which has a black lead character, It can be argued that game sold well on the back of The Walking Dead brand though.

This cycle that occurs, is it getting outdated? I've read articles, other forum posts and even reviews where people complain about the generic characters we see today, whether these are the opinions of the majority market, I guess not, but do you feel the fault of this cycle that occurs is equally shared with consumers and developers or do you think one side has more say in the matter?
    The Walking Dead is not an AAA game, it's a low budget game sold at a budget price, digitally. The sales figures they release in January say the games made $40 million in sales (presumably of all episodes combined) which is an enormous success for a small budget game.

However to put that into perspective Skyrim made $450 million in sales in its first week, god only knows what it has made since it's launch in 2011. The game had a budget of $85 million. If it had only made $40 million in sales not only would it have been a crippling financial failure, it also likely would have killed off the entire franchise.

"Success" is not measured by what critics think and being able to sell X number of copies. It's measured by whether or not your game can actually turn a profit, and by how much profit it is turning... Darksiders 2 was widely well received by reviewers (comparable metacritic scores to most of The Walking Dead episodes) and the game was dead on arrival despite selling over a million copies. After THQ went bankrupt, they put Vigil and the Darksiders IP up for auction -- No one even bid on them. One of the most painful things to read about in the game industry to date in my opinion.

Unfortunately narrative/story driven games which typically rely the most heavily on stereotypes are also the most costly to develop. One of the ways The Walking Dead managed this problem was to release the game in episodes, 2-3 hours of content each. Meaning they could develop with a MUCH smaller budget and also accept smaller sales figures. This is an old solution that has been tried in the past with mixed results. The biggest problem is that it means restarting your marketing campaign every time you launch a new episode which is very costly to do... unless your game is based on an existing television franchise whos advertising you can piggyback off of.

Ultimately peoples opinions about whos "fault" it is that the same content keeps getting produced over and over is more a reflection of their world view than it is an objective assessment of reality. I will say though that I think much of this is a result of the way the game industry is structured, the difficulty developers have getting their games to market, and the unfortunate fact that it's not enough to develop a great game... you also have to market it...

Edit: Going back to your example about lead female characters, I just want to state that I think the sales figures for the new Tomb Raider game is going to be an important (if not THE most important) benchmark going forward for publishers in determining whether or not the white-male trend is going to continue or decline...