Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Human Anatomy Study + Tessellation

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nemecys polycounter lvl 9
Case One:

This head was modelled using a combination of workflows from Scott Spencers "Zbrush Human Anatomy" and some work from a Fellow PolyCounter

It Began slowly and roughly: 1UCOB

The progressed quickly over the next 2-3 Hours
1Wmr0
1WmHX
1Wo2w
1Wobo

And, To finish the model a poor attempt at using Fibremesh
1WrA3
1WsSz
1Wt1R

Please Excuse the randomness of the images, while they show progression, they weren't designed for this thread.

Self Evaluation

- Not to use Fibremesh, but provides a decent placeholder
- Face could be slightly longer
- More care towards placement of Wrinkles

If I were to take this model to engine, I would use planes for the Hair, But I would like to learn more on how they created Hair in the Samaritan, Some appear to be generated while others resemble planes.

Replies

• GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Nemecys,

The model looks great so far, however I believe the wrinkles around the mouth, in my opinion looks a tiny bit too steep or off.

Keep up the great work! Hope you can find the advice you're looking for.
  • matt1146
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awsome so far
    Wrinkle or muscle under the eyes seam too smooth and don't have definition on them
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    work on the asymetric details, as those are what will really nail the likeness.
  • Yoshiku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say you are right about that the face has to be a little bit longer. You also need to put more details on the lips, more cracks of dry skin and such, bring them more to live :D Also the wrinkles on the forehead aren't defined enough, I would work on those a bit more.
    Overal tho, it's looking pretty good!
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the Critique guys,

I'll definitely look into improving the wrinkles in general they could really do with another pass on the forehead.

Asymmetrical details should just be a case of moving and tweaking some of the major form, I'll have to look into more detail but it seems the case,

Its quite hard to get the correct balance between the front and side due to the consistent changes in position and facial expression.

Any links or reference you guys can offer would be great too thank you

EDIT: I am also looking for some useful skin texture alphas to help improve the quality of the wrinkles, If you could share any gems that would be seriously appreciated
  • Yoshiku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Ryan Kingslien' skin alphas, I got them off the dvd from his book. Not sure if you can find them online somewhere, but they are pretty awesome so I would suggest looking into that if you haven't already :)
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up there, Im a big fan of Ryan Kingslien, I'll have a fish around,
    Really Appreciate the time taken to comment everyone

For now I've just been playing with the "Surface Noise" and adjusting the strength of the Layer

I took the annoying Fibremesh hair off it was just ruining the quality of the sculpt, I still don't know enough about that software to use it correctly,

Does anyone know if its involved for DX11 Hair?

Also some progress so far,

Main updates would be

- Eye detail and wrinkles
    - Cheek detail and structure
    - Chin and Mouth adjustments
    - Skin and Stuble pores

1Xa2I
    1Xa5c
    1Xa6n

Any C&C would be appreciated, I feel some of the wrinkles may be a bit Overkill
  • wolfonthehorizon
    I would look at bringing more asymmetry into the face at this stage and if you could look at getting the eyes in, the eyes really sell a face
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the insight,
    Straight after I posted that update I made similar changes, and just spent a short while on that again now, Hopefully this will be an improvement

1XpbL
    1Xpbv

Just as a test I had a go at quickly dragging out some colour in the eyes, only using Standard brush and drag tool, The eyes seem odd, but I'm not sure, I was never GREAT at doing eyes.
    1XpAT
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    look at the front ref you're using, he has some kind of mild growth on his right (your left as you look at it) jawline, which pulls the lower lip over to that side.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that too Gir, Thanks for pointing it out though

I was playing with it, but its so hard to find that balance between highlighting subtle facial features...

and making him look like his drunk or on drugs :P,

I'll be sure to keep trying at it, I did some minute tweaks to his mouth line to mimic it, but perhaps it was too subtle
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2bvPv

Just a slight update with a bit of polypainting involved,

The other mesh is the DT3D mesh, im using it as reference and comparison

2bvSz
    There is the shader, it really isn't that complex,
    So i feel as though theres alot more i can do to it, But im struggling to find out what.

ANy advice?

EDIT:

Just an addition, been playing with the shader ever so slightly, then decided to throw it around my light room to see how it would respond in different lighting, and it seems to be pretty damn strong :)

2bxvR
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Instead of the handpainted technique, I decided to use his actual face on top for added detail, seems to have done the trick quite nicely

Now with Eyes...

2cCgF

I hate eyes
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Cool. One thing- you are revealing a lot of white in the outer corners of this guys eyes and it is making him look like his eyelids were cut off. There usually is very little white that is revealed unless your eyes are wide open.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eye style 1
    2cIeX

Eye Style 2
    2cL9P
    Probably one of my last updates,

@Neilberard, Your totally right, its because I totally forgot to model in some sort of eyelid, I suppose I could try and put them in as floating assets, not really tried that before,

It was one of those mistakes where you do a quick test to see how its all going, get excited by the test and continue without correcting, I was looking at Ben Mathis' tutorial here

So if he does that for the tear duct and eyelashes/brows Im sure eye lids won't hurt