Home Technical Talk

Engines, Which one should you take

This is a thread about Game-Engines.

Unity: Unity is for newbies and up to Pro`s.
The unity engine are not build for RealTime like CE3 and UDK are, but its a good starting point for who just wanna develop games the easy way :D.

Games: Unity can Develop alot of game, both FPS, MMO`s and Rpg games.
To say it Unity is the tool for the job

Who is it for: Everyone who wants to make a game :D.

CryEngine 3 SDK: CE3 is not a good starting point for newbies, this engine needs a lot of experience it took me 1 month to learn it. This engine is a realtime monster, it created the Famous Crysis series and a lot of other huge games like Arche age
aion. This engine doesn`t use fbx files or Obj`s, no it uses a special file type: CGF
that means you need to have CryExporter for the modelling programs you are using & CryTiff for photoshop.

Games: CryEngine can develop all type of games but just on a much harder and better way.

Who is it for: intermediate, advanced and expert Developers

UDK: This is a engine that easier than CE3 but much harder to work on than unity,
udk can use a very high polycount just like CE3 but steals much more graphic than any other engine i`ve tried. This is more like a multi engine it can create RealTime game as well as it can create other game. Its simple to use, Both FBX is working on it & obj. You also license it for 99$ good price but they still need 20% of the money you get from your game.

Games: Unreal Dev Kit, can develop a lot of games and even cinematic movies like Crytek`s cinemabox

Who is it for: Everyone, depending on what game you wanna make :D

Replies

• Shatterstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esenthel game engine is the best price and can do all of the things that unity does, without addons. Unity you pay over 1500 dollars or in esenthel just pay 150. Big difference. Unity is a great game engine, but is over priced. If you have a prgrammer that knows C++ go to Esenthel. trust me. it's worth it.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I can vouch for the Esenthel engine as well. It is probably one of the most overlooked and underrated engines out there. It is very capable of producing just as high of quality products as some of the other more popular engines. The Editor can be a bit daunting to learn at first though. And I think it scares away most people.
  • _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know my first week with CE3 was super hard`, I`ve seen more than 50 tuts to learn everything. I just installed esenthel and it works fine :D THX tobbo
  • _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo wrote: »
    I can vouch for the Esenthel engine as well. It is probably one of the most overlooked and underrated engines out there. It is very capable of producing just as high of quality products as some of the other more popular engines. The Editor can be a bit daunting to learn at first though. And I think it scares away most people.

And i just took the engines that a lot of peaple are using but i think i need to add Source engine to....
    Link for a huge RealTime engine called leadwerks: leadwerks.com
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    has less to do with be a newbie or pro, and more to do with the requirements of your your project, and the kinda manpower you got.

i know my way around both ue3 and unity very well, and choose based on the project which one to use.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    "The unity engine are not build for RealTime like CE3 and UDK are"

It's not?
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Unity is just like UDK or CE3... its not inferior.