Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Scene (WIP)

So this is the scene I am currently working on.

11ln61h.jpg

I am working from this concept http://www.conceptroot.com/ult/uploa...1338917067.jpg by Joseph Across

There is still alot of stuff wrong with the image (render settings, to much light, laser is just a place holder, steel #2 wall not working at all, and more). anyway crits are welcome I am sure they will help me catch stuff I have not noticed yet. and also maybe help me prioritise what I should change.

Replies

• MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looks pretty good so far man! Sadly I am a complete newb when it comes to V-ray so I cannot help you with this (if you do come across any helpfull tutorials, let me know =P).

Composition wise it feels a bit too flat. I would change the camera FOV/settings to get some better sense of scale.
  • Ghaddaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. yeah I agree about the camera. I want to keep it pretty close to how it is but I was definitely thinking about finding a slightly better FOV to give it a bit more depth. I think that will probably be one of the last things I do with the shot tho.

I have one really good vray tutorial for render settings I can link here later if that would help you out. it helped me understand alot better how to build render settings instead of just throwing in values that other ppl had listed onine.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Why are you rendering stuff in Vray on a game art board. As far as a scene goes. I mean if you're blocking it out i understand or presenting high poly assets.
  • Ghaddaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme Sorry, I posted here because the community generally seems really helpful here and I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. I normally do one render piece then one game piece so I will abandon this thread and post again when I start my next game piece.

@MisterSande take a look at this tutorial I found it really helpful http://www.jamesshaw.co.nz/blog/?p=542
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    Why are you rendering stuff in Vray on a game art board. As far as a scene goes. I mean if you're blocking it out i understand or presenting high poly assets.
    I do not really see a problem in this (The process is the same for 80% anyway)
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    Ghaddaway wrote: »
    I will abandon this thread and post again when I start my next game piece.

No need for this. High Poly modeling is in most, if not all AAA games a required pre-step to low poly modeling and of course baking the high poly.

Sure, there are differences when modeling high poly with a low poly bake in mind ... if you really want to get into games, than keep this in mind, when you get on with a "high poly-only" project.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    There is shed loads of high poly stuff on the forums from every piece of software so I'm sure it's fine to post :)

The scene reminds me of something you'd make for Arch Vis. The quality looks good but I'm not a fan of the lighting and composition. My eye doesn't really settle anywhere so I'd try and focus on an object and add more contrast. Keep up the good work :)
  • Ghaddaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks guys I will keep updating this post as I work on the piece.

@Optinium I agree with you about how your eye does not settle anywhere, my hope has been that when I get all the materials finished, and move it into comp for its final tweaks the glowing lazer along with subtle zdepth defocus will pull your eye to between the door and the striped hazard wall. there is a reflection of the door in the hazard wall that I mostly lost with my last round of render changes, and I am hoping bringing it back will help solve this issue. final render will also have higher contrast but I have been fighting with glossy stuff lately so I have not turned it up yet.

Today I will be working on the #2 wall as well as teh light inside the cubby hole under the bio hazard sign so I will post an update after those changes.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I was just curious really.
  • Ghaddaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme Ah. I had just had trouble finding another forum where there was a decent amount of environment work posted, that got constructive feedback. I do want to work in games but also want to be able to apply at places that focus more on high poly stuff so like I said I try to alternate between pieces. Polycount seemed to be the best choice for places to post keeping all that in mind.

I am HOPING to be finished this piece by the end of this week, and moving onto my next two pieces which will be done in UDK. a quick Turret just to get used to the UDK material manager since I dont know UDK very well then I will follow that up with an environment probably around the size of this scene that I am working on now.

I wanted to post this one now to just get more in the habit of posting normally I just get feedback from people at work but I have lately been feeling like I am missing out on a great community so by posting this WIP I am hoping to get into the habbit of posting more often.
  • Ghaddaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here an update with what I got done yesterday

2wnwnl5.jpg

not much changed worked on the steel wall and the hazard light thing figured out what was causing the strange black spot on the glass on teh right hand side.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steady progress is great! Keep it coming!

Some Feedback:

- Your image still needs more light focus in my opinion
    - some textures really appear blurry (exit signs above the door, vitals on the display)

I believe you can get so much more out of this picture with less diffuse lighting. If you are overall happy with the current lighting then just keep it of course! Just my 2 cents as always :D

(I would handle this that way: Export all the geo in a new scene and just give them a basic non glossy and non reflective material and just tweak the lighting. Maybe some basic colors. This way you can really fast without big render times tweak the mood of the picture and when done just export the lights to your textured scene and test the intensities.)
  • Ghaddaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Treboras, I am not in love yet with my lighting but I think its close to how I was after I have been putting off changing it for now as it takes a while to bake out the calculations and I wanted to get work done not just wait for render calculations. but I agree and its on the list of stuff to work on before finishing.

The textures above the door I think I know why they are blurry and I will fix them right away but I amnot sure whats going on with the tv but you are correct they are pretty blurry. I will take a look at that and also look at the light this week.

How do you feel about the steel wall with the #2 on it? I am not sure I love the hexagons, but it breaks up the reflection alot nicer than when it was just flat.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I like the hexagons a lot.

It depends on what you want to achieve but from where I see it you could go 2 directions:

Option A) Leave them as they are but for me they have a little bit too much bump / normal / whatever you are using :D (Especially seen on the right side where the highlight lights the edges of the hexagons)

Option B) Try to achieve something like this: (attached images at the end) A little bit of transparency to them, some nice refractions and so on :D (surely the texture has to be a little bit more complicated than now to achieve good results)

Purely depending on what look you like, but I think option B would be worth a try and could give the scene some more nice detail to look at.

(sorry for the small resolution of the images but I think you get the idea)

17752023-silver-metal-background-with-hexagon-holes-and-light-reflection.jpg

stock-photo-wall-crystal-hexagon-glass-frame-for-background-or-etc-67429627.jpg
    it takes a while to bake out the calculations and I wanted to get work done not just wait for render calculations

You know the answer to that one :D Go real time then! :)