Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Character - Queen Of Hearts

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Sanna Nivhede polycounter lvl 5
Edit--
Latest update:
queenofheartsq.jpg

Hello again Polycount! I hope everyone has had a lovely holiday so far. I, for one, am spending my long awaited winter break from school (in school) making a new character I've been wanting to create for a while: a Queen of Hearts. So far I've only laid out the base for the high-poly - mainly in Zbrush - but I'd love it if some kind soul out there had some constuctive criticism to offer before I get any further. Oh, and please don't mind the shoes for now. They have been scrapped and a replacement is being created as we speak. Thank you kindly!

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    So, how would she bend forward to grab something off the floor? The segmenting on the chest plate doesn't look like it allows for much movement.

The intersection between the red dress and the chest armor could be made more interesting as well, not sure how, but the black chest plate just sort of ends abruptly in a loop and out poofs the dress.
  • Sanna Nivhede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got some time to spend working on this project today, so here goes. You make some very valid points in your post, and I wanted to make the most of them as I progressed with the piece. First of all, I broke the corset piece down into smaller segments to allow for actual movement without suffocation. Secondly, I tried working the dress and the armor together a bit more by adding straps and belts. I also started making a lowpoly for it. Again, thank you so much for the critique! It really did help a lot. :-D

queenofhearts02.jpg
  • Sanna Nivhede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't too happy with what this was becoming, so I thought I'd finally take a whack at making a more stylized character and exaggerate her proportions and pose a bit. I usually go for a more realistic style, so I'm not completely sure what I'm doing, but I'm growing quite fond of her nevertheless. If anyone has any advice to offer, I will be forever grateful.

queenofheartswip.jpg
    And for reference, this is before exaggerating her proportions and after. Any thoughts?

beforeafterar.jpg
  • oskarreftel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work!

The exaggerated version looks better and actually more natural to me. Maybe push the legs in a bit though. The face is, imo, the best part. Keep at it!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Everything about the "exaggerated" version is way better, it doesn't look that exaggerated though, it does look a lot more natural and has better proportions, shapes, and curves. I'd bring in the legs a bit closer though.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I think the new look is much better. Are you going to do anything with the face? White paint, rosy cheeks or anything to make it stand out? Also, while I think it is a cool piece there isn't much to make it say "Queen of Hearts" at this point. You have some open space on the chest/neck area, perhaps a ruby necklace of a heart or something?

In any case, I think it's coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.
  • Sanna Nivhede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checking in with a quick update before leaving for today. I wanted to thank you guys sooooo much for the awesome feedback! I finally got some time to work on her today and looked over all the things you pointed out. Legs were brought together, and a heart pendant is coming up. I've also blocked out a low-poly (She's at 8K tris right now), and today I started UV-mapping and texturing her. She does look quite frightening at the moment, but I'm hoping for that to change once I get some colour into that skin and some life into those eyes... Again, thank you so much!

qohi.jpg

Up next: some extravagant makeup and more realistically falling folds in the fabric. B-)

Until next time!
  • Sanna Nivhede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the queen. I finally had some time to work on her textures for a couple of days, and this here is the result (or rather, work in progress). I feel like this is finally getting somewhere...

qohe.jpg

Any comments would be highly appreciated! Especially if they happened to be constructive ones. :-)
  • Sanna Nivhede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress! I'm slowly wrapping things up... :-)

queenofheartsq.jpg
  • fantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last one is wonderfull! Nice pose and lightin, congratz ! :)
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know if it's the angle of the face or what, but this last update looks miles better. Lots of nice things about this character, the progression from the first wip is especially staggering.

Good job! :)
  • PDC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    Agree with Avanthera, this last round of polish is phenomenal!
    The textures and presentation are great, wonderful job.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome job!!! :)
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great. Nice to see some stuff from this batch of TGA students. The character looks very live and characterfull. Great job.
    also great lighting and pose.