Home General Discussion

Online Game Art Degrees in the US

Hello, I was checking out some of the forums and couldn't find the answer to what I am looking for. I am looking for a school in the US that offers online bachelor degree programs in Game Art. I know about Full Sail but the student reviews don't seem too promising, plus the price is too high for me. Does anyone know a good program with a reasonable price?

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Your not going to find any good school with an online only program for a real bachelors (FullSails is not accredited correctly).

If you can only do online, just do Gnomon.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The best deal you are going to find is the Gnomon DVD subscription, http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/subscription/ if you really want a teacher, Gnomon also has full online courses. But Gnomon does not offer degrees, only certificates, but they are one of the best schools.
  • nstine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine polycounter lvl 5
    Check out http://theartdepartment.org/ It's run by Jason Manley of ConceptArt.Org. They offer bachelor's degrees through Aspen University. I don't know if Aspen University is widely recognized or not so you will likely have to do some more research into that.

They are focused primarily on concept art, illustration, and etc but they do offer some 3d classes. I took a couple of part time classes there and at the time they only offered one 3d course taught by Polycount's own Brett Briley. Since then I believe they have added Andrew Gordon from Pixar to head their Animation department.

I felt like I learned quite a bit from the couple of classes I took there and I honestly wish I had the time to take some more.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    SCAD has online programs and is regionally accredited (that's what you want). Not sure if the price is reasonable though. You could also look into UK universities if there's anything online for undergrad - would be much cheaper than something US based.
  • Ice-Child
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am currently a Full Sail student and feel it is not over priced as you said. The instructors are still working in their field unlike 99% of the other schools where its what they used to do. So we are as up to date on the current work pipelines as we can get. So not only do you get taught the latest and greatest pipeline work you are also making friends/contacts in the industry in which you are going after. I have zero complaints for Full Sail, I graduate in December and will be sticking around to get my Computer Animation degree afterward.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine wrote: »
    Check out http://theartdepartment.org/ It's run by Jason Manley of ConceptArt.Org and Massive Black. They offer bachelor's degrees through Aspen University. I don't know if Aspen University is widely recognized or not so you will likely have to do some more research into that.

They are focused primarily on concept art, illustration, and etc but they do offer some 3d classes. I took a couple of part time classes there and at the time they only offered one 3d course taught by Polycount's own Brett Briley. Since then I believe they have added Andrew Gordon from Pixar to head their Animation department.

I felt like I learned quite a bit from the couple of classes I took there and I honestly wish I had the time to take some more.

Unfortunately Aspen is a nationally accredited University, which will limit your ability to ever go for a higher degree or teach in most Universities. It is a for profit, stock trading school. These institutions are in it to make money first, not train students.

Their paydirt is FASA which is why you more often than not see them charging more than most other schools for the so called same degree. When in fact, while the degree is accredited and recognized by the US government, it lacks the credentials to be recognized by standard Schools. This is why such schools can have teachers who have only a Bachelors (if that), versus Professors who at least have a Masters degree (from a regionally accredited school).

Full Sail isn't much better in this regard. It also is nationally accredited only, while though not being on the stock market, it is owned by a private equity firm.

One could argue that these instructors in these profit schools are more closely aligned to the modern career requirements. At the same time, it could be countered that a Professor will have a broader knowledge base and be able to teach unsaid foundations. Example: CS majors in public Universities learn about machine logic and reasoning before ever delving deeply into one code base. Many times they leave a school without training in the programing language to any great degree where they end up. However, they are able to adapt quickly because they can understand the underpinnings of the logic of a computer language.

Gnomon makes no qualms about what it does and is. If you just want the training, Gnomon. If you want a real degree, SCAD, but, that costs A FORTUNE.
  • TheDerpyChicken
    Ok, Thank you everyone. So what do you think would lead to a higher chance of getting a job, a degree or being self taught with a strong portfolio?
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    School wont help you get a job.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    strong folio is all you need to get started. In the long run education - and here I mean knowledge and not the paper the degree is printed on - can make a difference.

On a bureaucratic level a degree makes a difference if you want to work abroad. You will need it for immigration. Here it's the paper that counts, not the knowledge. For this even a nationally accredited degree is perfectly valid, but please don't waste money just for immigration's sake.
  • nstine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine polycounter lvl 5
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Unfortunately Aspen is a nationally accredited University, which will limit your ability to ever go for a higher degree or teach in most Universities. It is a for profit, stock trading school. These institutions are in it to make money first, not train students.

Their paydirt is FASA which is why you more often than not see them charging more than most other schools for the so called same degree. When in fact, while the degree is accredited and recognized by the US government, it lacks the credentials to be recognized by standard Schools. This is why such schools can have teachers who have only a Bachelors (if that), versus Professors who at least have a Masters degree (from a regionally accredited school).

Full Sail isn't much better in this regard. It also is nationally accredited only, while though not being on the stock market, it is owned by a private equity firm.

One could argue that these instructors in these profit schools are more closely aligned to the modern career requirements. At the same time, it could be countered that a Professor will have a broader knowledge base and be able to teach unsaid foundations. Example: CS majors in public Universities learn about machine logic and reasoning before ever delving deeply into one code base. Many times they leave a school without training in the programing language to any great degree where they end up. However, they are able to adapt quickly because they can understand the underpinnings of the logic of a computer language.

Gnomon makes no qualms about what it does and is. If you just want the training, Gnomon. If you want a real degree, SCAD, but, that costs A FORTUNE.

I actually have a degree from SCAD and I took classes from TAD afterwards because what I learned from SCAD in my opinion was inadequate and left me feeling unprepared for work in the industry. Prior to SCAD I had zero experience with 3d as my high school only offered basic Art classes and I was unaware of places such as Polycount to help me get started. So someone who has some basic understanding of 3d before going to SCAD may have a better experience than I did, but I felt like at SCAD I was mostly taught a program's basic interface and the rest was up to me. While I don't mind teaching myself, if I wanted to do that I could do it without the ridiculous tuition that SCAD charges. Now don't get me wrong, there were a few classes that I learned quite a bit in (mostly the anatomy classes taught by Paul Hudson), but those were more the exception than the rule.

If I could do it over and TAD had been around before I went to SCAD I would probably have chosen TAD over SCAD.

Something I should point out about TAD's accreditation is that they originally were not accredited and didn't really feel it was needed. Ultimately they became accredited simply so they could offer student loans. So in this regard I feel they are closer to Gnomon, but with an option to get a degree if you need it or need student loans.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    school wont get you a job, it will just waste money and you be stuck with no money huge debt and no job
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually have a degree from SCAD and I took classes from TAD afterwards because what I learned from SCAD in my opinion was inadequate and left me feeling unprepared for work in the industry. Prior to SCAD I had zero experience with 3d as my high school only offered basic Art classes and I was unaware of places such as Polycount to help me get started. So someone who has some basic understanding of 3d before going to SCAD may have a better experience than I did, but I felt like at SCAD I was mostly taught a program's basic interface and the rest was up to me.

I can make no comment personally on SCAD except to say I met someone like you (except she got a masters) in a course for Zbrush from Futurepoly. The thing is, she excelled much faster than most of the class (including students from Digipen), which I attribute to her having those foundations SCAD (and her undergraduate school), gave her.

Which goes into my personal opinion on the distinction between career based national accreditation and traditional regional. I would say TAD most likely offers those underpinnings that most other for profit schools would breeze over.

Did they (TAD) raise their prices shortly after they got the student loans and had to connect with Aspen? I would be surprised if they did not.
  • TheDerpyChicken
    Thank you all for your replies :)
  • nstine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine polycounter lvl 5
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Did they (TAD) raise their prices shortly after they got the student loans and had to connect with Aspen? I would be surprised if they did not.

I do not know for sure as I haven't had the time to continue taking classes with them. Originally it cost something like $40-45k for their full program with the minimum payment, with the ability to reduce the price by 50% if you paid in full upfront. There were smaller reductions in cost if you paid above the minimum up front but not the full cost. They offered portfolio scholarships as well. SCAD by comparison was $100k+ for their full program (I don't know about their online classes).

I personally took part-time classes at TAD and they were around $1200 per class or so with some small reductions in cost for early registration, but no scholarships were offered.

This all could have since changed with the accreditation, but I can say that the quality of the education was much higher than what I received while at SCAD. I think that was largely due to the quality of the faculty at TAD. Here is a link to their faculty page for anyone that is interested:

http://theartdepartment.org/faculty
  • stafyvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh it is good i like all game.
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    I'm confused on what you guys are saying about full sails accreditation ?
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where I am finishing up a bachelor's in Game Art and Animation http://www.uat.edu Some of the instructors have worked for big names like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, or other industry related jobs. It is really tough and they expect alot from an online student, but like others have said, if I could do it over, I'd probably just sign up for gnomon or bury myself in digitaltutors for a few years.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I don't get why gnomon is so high praised (besides viable instructors) if you go into the industry, you get a certificate so you can't go outside U.S? And it's seems to be similarly priced to Full Sail in addition to no on site living in CA. Sorry I'm just making sense of it (with loose knowledge at that) but if I were the average student I probably wouldn't have the chance to "do it over" with that kind of risk.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    If you want a degree on the cheap, go to community college. Seriously. That is the most cost-effective way to get an inexpensive four-year degree that most employers will still take seriously. Almost no community college is going to have a degree program for game art. That's okay. Just go for a traditional art degree, and sign up for classes in sculpting and traditional animation.

As far as learning the tools necessary for game art, there is always the school of Polycount. On-line tutorials are free, and there are more inexpensive tools available for game artists now than ever before. The vast majority of game artists didn't get degrees in game art. They taught themselves the necessary tools and digital techniques.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg wrote: »
    I'm confused on what you guys are saying about full sails accreditation ?

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114849
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    I am right now getting my traditional AA degree and want to focus next on creating digital art work. I personally think that the art achademy and art istitute is very overpriced when i can get probably just as much info online. But Full Sail is significently cheaper.
    I am not sure what to do. Shall I go to full sail or study from gnomon, digital tutors and other classes like cg society and zbrushworkshops over the next few years?
    I already have student loans so thats another big reason why I cant go to those other schools.

Any thoughts on what to do?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Futurepoly. If you have your fundamentals well developed from the AA.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Check out http://theartdepartment.org/ It's run by Jason Manley of ConceptArt.Org and Massive Black. They offer bachelor's degrees through Aspen University. I don't know if Aspen University is widely recognized or not so you will likely have to do some more research into that.

from what i heard MB doesn't really like to be connected to Jason Manley and his artdepartment :o