Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

School work [WIP]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys, this is my first thread here on the forum. Wanted to open a WIP thread for my school works to get some feedback and also some advise.

I'll mainly post pic's of my end of year work but probably some other stuff from here and there too:)

00_assets.JPG

And here's the first pic : just some random props I'm currently making for the scene. Critique and feedback greatly appreciated!

PS: I almost forgot to post the reference image.
Reference.JPG
The red part is what we have to copy entirely without any changes, and the rest is depending on the concept we're working on with one of the teachers.

The last asset preview:
UDK_setup_01.JPG

Replies

• Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    I would try a different texture idea for the wood. It's got cool color and I like the rough look that it has but it's way too noisy. Even now with only four five of them together and at close distance, you cant really see the divisions of the boards or the edges and the noise makes it look like one big patch of wood texture. I would try to find a texture that is much less noisy or paint/sculpt one yourself. :) Keep at it.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl wrote: »
    I would try a different texture idea for the wood. It's got cool color and I like the rough look that it has but it's way too noisy. Even now with only four five of them together and at close distance, you cant really see the divisions of the boards or the edges and the noise makes it look like one big patch of wood texture. I would try to find a texture that is much less noisy or paint/sculpt one yourself. :) Keep at it.

Yeah, this one is here just for the modeling preview purpose, although I was thinking of painting a worn/darken map in coat and overlaying it over this one in UDK Material Editor this way I keep this one as the relatively large base generic texture and import some specific maps way smaller to break the noisy/generic look. (I'm doing this for the performance sake)

'cause, baking specific set of "large" maps for each asset is heavier than this method. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I already started searching the proper way to make a overlay effect in UDK, but alas, I think I gonna need some material function skills to do so... Which I don't have atm. So any tut's or related information is GREATLY appreciated!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update: UDK_setup.JPG

I finished the modeling of my wooden pieces an exported them into UDK. Here's the quick preview setup. As I intended I'm using my unique diffuse/normal/spec set (1024*512) for all those pieces with an overlaying AO+edger (256²) to break up the noisy look.

There is one Master material with a material instance per object with a control over the Diffuse color (through a VectorParameter blended with the diffuse by a Power node) and also the AO+edger map input.

So as always, if you have something to say bout it, any tiny bit of feedback is welcome!

Hope you enjoy this early/derpy stage of the work!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another quickie, the sculpt of my brick wall. This is a composite image of a simple BPR in Zbrush. I was toying with BPR Filters (jeez I love this thing!) And then composited the final image here in photoshopo with 3 different filter settings... So nothing fancy here, just a regular update done for fun! Brick_wall.JPG

PS: Oh yeah, the wall itself is made of 4 basic brick tools and 2 of them were stretched and resculped to give the mortar/cement. Now I have to retopo' this guy... yay... -_-'

EDIT: There is the UDK preview of this guy (1024² diffuse/normal, 512² spec)Stairwall.JPG

And the other part of the same piece, they will be kinda stacked. And I'm planning to reuse this one on the brige and the houses perhaps.
    screenshot0%20copie.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smeltery.jpg

It's been a long time since I've updated my progress here. It's mainly because I focused on boring tweaking and stuff like this (besides the fact that I was sucked into other projects and just general study business...)

But the I am, finaly with a concept that is aproved and ready. This will allow me to work on stuff that is way much funnier to do!

Anyway, I'll try do update the main view ass soon as it's possible. Some things have changed there too. but before thaat there's my little smeltery here, hope you like it! (fists hard surface model ever, so be gentle guys... or not!) Critique requested as always!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick update on the situation: I realized that I am pretty late on the schedule. So it's time to double the efforts and WORK!

So there is the WIP of the central piece of the village square in the reference. I'm planning to replace the original cross with a sort of tech-anvil standing on a cross shaped platform.

Originaly I was planning to use the Fallout 3 trick for the broken edges of a model to break out the tilling of the cross, but in the middle of the process I realized that this was completely worthless since I'm trying to build a central piece witch obviously will be unique and very important in the scene, or at least it wasn't a simple random prop witch will be reused a lot across the scene. Therefore applying a very optimized method with a relatively poor visual impact compared to the needs of a central piece like this was a nonsense.

So i dumped the thing and started almost from skratch to build a unique prop.
    The basemesh is almost done and soon I will proceed to the next phase witch will be to sculpt some additional details into Zbrush.

Here's the actual stage of the project.

anvil_cross_WIP.jpg

And this is the crappy result I came out before.

anvil_cross.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anvil_cross_ZB25.jpg

OOOH YEEAAH! Finally done with the Zsculpt of this baby! *falls asleep*
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And there's another update on the cross, baking this guy was no fun! But still, I managed to render some usable basic maps after dividing the mesh in two parts and composited the results. In other words, I raged like a noob in a CoD game!
    Here are some screenshots of the actual stage of the texturing the rocks parts are almost final, I will maybe come back and tweak them later but I'm pretty satisfied with the look right now.

The metal though... That part isn't exactly what I want it to be. The spec is still to high, the colors aren't exactly what I want and I'm not quite sure what I want to do with this brown dust/dirt layer that I have right now in the cavities.
    anvil_cross_tex_wip_top.jpg
    anvil_cross_tex_wip.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And also, for the anvil part, I'm struggling with the color scheme so there's few versions, any feedback could be useful! Help me with this guys!
    metal_var.jpg
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    LMFAO Variant 5 description. Keep goin man, the props are turning out pretty nicely. Look forward to the progress :)
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    VAR 4 looks pretty cool!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's the final:
    anvil_cross_final.jpg
    anvil_cross_final_texflats.jpg

Had a hard time getting the spec' for the metal parts right... copper and bronze will be my death guys!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    It reads better in earlier iterations where you have different surfaces. at the moment it reads as very noisy. Everything has the same generic grunge overlay. Having some clean smooth metal surfaces for the eye to rest will help.