Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP {Old Damaged Village}

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
This a portfolio piece I am finalizing in the next couple of weeks. This is where I'm at so far. Let me know what you guys think.

Capture2_zpsf52f9820.jpg

Capture4_zps3ef7cc5d.jpg

Capture3_zpsd490c438.jpg

Capture1_zpsc36e4289.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Overall, the edges seem far too sharp - especially if you want to express age and/or decay.

Also, the canal seems too narrow - it's doubtful that a pair of barges could even pass each other. Most canals have a tow path on each side wide enough for a team of horses/mules/oxen. Small craft (e.g. the gondolas of Venice) can be propelled by a single gondolier, and larger craft by groups of men with poles, the more common arrangement was to use beasts of burden whenever possible.

Finally, you should consider changing the arch under the bridge to a circular drain - this would give you a nice opportunity to show off weathering and water effects.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I see what you mean. Sculpting some chipped and damage to the structures would be good.

I dont know about Barges passing through, I just pictured it more of small village with tight canals.

Kind of like this1550_03_7_web.jpg
  • DWalker
    Even in the reference shot, the canal seems to be 3-4 boats wide.

Adding a grunge line above the water similar to the algae in the reference shot would certainly help to give age to the environment. You also might want to lower your water level a bit, placing the upper edge of the grunge near the level of your lower path. You could also add a water mark a few feet above that to indicate the depth during a flood.

Bending or breaking a few of the guard rail posts would also heighten the indications of age or decay.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I added a bit of algae and lowered the water level a bit, also re did the bridge. I'm gonna darken the water a bit more. I want to see if I can also find a splash type of shader for the water.

Highres_Screenshot_00000_zpsb7982afd.png
  • Jetta89
    I have seen this concept somewhere. It looks banging. I'm liking the brick coming out from under the wall on the bridge and on the walls. Is that textured or virtex painted?