Home Technical Talk

3ds max 12/13 keeps crashing

Hello, :)

So i've got this problem with 3dsmax.

Basicaly when ever im on 3ds max 12 or 13, it tends to freeze my pc every so often. It doesnt happen just as i get into the program, it happens after 10-50 minutes. I've tried to find a fix but im having no such luck. I'm having to use 3dsmax 2010 but i'd rather use the newer version.

When ever it does freeze my screens seem to just stick to the last frame before crashing and hhd light on the case doesnt go of. ( keeps lit). I dont think its a hardware problem as everything's basicaly new, plus it runs fine on max 2010. And every other program...

Hopefully some of you smart guys who know 3dsmax batter than me can tell me whats wrong :)

thank you :)

Replies

• SlyRipper
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    Already visited Autodesk site and installed newest updates for the version you want to use? Could depend on some hardware or software issues on your PC, max 2013 just working fine here.
  • snowblack
  • SlyRipper
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried using different viewport drivers? Tried giving it admin rights on startup or used the compatibility mode? When does the error happen, on certain situations or randomly?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Try turning autoback off?
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    3dsMax 2012 was a crash-o-thon, i resolved the issue by downgrading my videocard drivers (Nvidia GTX580). Once i was tired of it, i only use Max 2010-2011 and reupgraded my videocard drivers whatsoever.

Max2012 is completely unstable from my point of view.
  • snowblack
    SlyRipper: It just seems to happen a while after i starts ( 10-50 min).

Jeremiah_bigley: Never thought of that, will give it a go :)

Peanut: well if 2011 works ill download that :) Its just realy anoying how i cant get something to work fine where most other people seem to get it working fine :/ oh well i shall download max 2011 tonight :D YAY something new i guess :P

Cheers guys :)

I have been considering learning maya. Maybe this is a good time to do so :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I use 2012 at work and at home and don't have any issues with it. It is funny because I actually had more issues with 2011. 2013 from what I have seen and heard looks broken though. I might just skip it all together.
  • SlyRipper
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny, as what I've heared is that 2013 fixed most issues from 2012 and is a better 2012 version. I've never run into problems with 2013, and the new features are also neat ;)

@snowblack
    Could you leave max untouched and it will crash, too, within your 10-50min frame? or does it while u normaly work with it?
  • LordHorusNL
    Offline / Send Message
    LordHorusNL polycounter lvl 17
    I had this kind of problem a while back, max 2012 crashed on me all the time and would corrupt my saves, this may sound weird but try turning of your flash hardware acceleration. I just do it by going to youtube and right clicking on my flash settings.

For some reason flash no longer saves my settings, so i have to do it everytime i start my pc now.

Hope this works for you.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    With these types of questions you need to list your system specs. What other software are you running? How big are the scenes you are editing?

One thing it may be is an overheating video card. Nitrous tends to work the video card harder than Direct3D. Try using SpeedFan to monitor your GPU temp. I used to have a problem where my GPU would hit 80 degrees and lock up.
  • snowblack
    No it seems to freeze after I've been modelling for so long. Never tried leaving it to see if it does freeze.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    been toying around with 2013 for a few days, using the latest Service pack.
    i know at least one of the most annoying issues has been resolved, particularly the
    pan/rotate bug, which would lock up rotation after panning in 2012.
    *EDIT* unfold map breaking UV's has not been fixed.

as for crashes, i had trouble in general with ATI 12.7(i think) drivers being horribly unstable, crashing my computer uncontrollably. it didn't help that my Asus p9x79 motherboard BIOS drivers were unstable as well.
    i updated the motherboard BIOS, and a bunch of the crash and lockup issues went away, as well as a bunch of USB issues, and trouble watching youtube videos with 3ds max running at the same time.
    currently on the ATI 13.2 Beta 5 drivers, and i haven't experienced a crash with 3ds max 2013 yet, although i've mostly just been modifying the UI, and not doing any heavy 3d work.
  • snowblack
    I am planning on getting myself one of the new gigabyte motherboards when they come out. I have a feeling it may be the motherboard im using atm. Or the ram ive got.

Cheers for all ur help guys :D
  • satheesh
    Offline / Send Message
    satheesh polycounter lvl 7
    hi

recently i tried installing 2013 64bit on win7 os. i am facing similar problems such as crashes or display turning off but hdd still lit on. my ati drivers are fine. this happen after modelling for some time and when leaving max idle. what seems odd is the cpu seems to be on overdrive most of the time. not sure if gpu is gettg overheated. this happen even after switchg from nitrous to dx3d. yeah i got the service pack installed too. 2011 was breeze for me. but never tried 2012. Any help would be relief :)