Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mining compressor [Max] review

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ricolas71 polycounter lvl 12
Hi! First piece of artwork uploaded on Polycount, looking for some critiques and comments.
I've been working on this scene for a little while in my free time during the past few months

I started it as high res modelling exercise and one thing led to another, decided to push it further.
It's been done in MAX, textured in photoshop. I used crazy bump, xnormal and zbrush for the normal (though they don't show much in the MR render), PFlow for the snow.

5877296_orig.jpg

4646536_orig.jpg

Here are the references pics i had
4864288_orig.jpg
9702981_orig.jpg

Replies

• refriedspinach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refriedspinach polycounter lvl 3
    holy crap this is crazy good, took me awile to realize they werent ref pics lol
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    Damn, how is this NOT a painting?! It's got that painterly realism in it. Nothing is giving me that "3D" feel.
  • kooltrader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The barrel container on the back needs more work, maybe make it lighter coloured

theres 2 cut out holes on the back grey piece (Above the barrel container) which look offset incorrectly compared to the ref image

Apart from that, its a great start! keep up the good work :)
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys for the critiques,

I'll try to to improve the back details. Someone also suggested me to put a bit more love into the snow merging to the logs on the floor. It is true my main focus was the compressor itself and i created the scene around quickly.

I'll keep you posted for the changes
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Wireframe? or is it just cinematic quality?
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I started modelling the compressor with very high res as I wanted to keep it as it was. I decided to texture it later and had reduce polycount drastically, I still Used a lot of my previous work for baking the normal, on which I added surface detail done on various software to experiment with the results.

But here is the Wireframe of what you see rendered. It's around 90K beause of engine pipes and details + second carburettor on the other side (I'm planing to doa turnaround. It's over the top for game but It's still let me start a UDK scene to benefit of a "game look". Actually it was easier to do stuff like vertex based snow shader than create and render decent snow in max..but i digress ^^
    7243989_orig.jpg

9334247_orig.jpg
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    The reference pics are good but I'd love to see it modeled and textu........sweet jesus. That's pretty fantastic. I Could barely tell a difference.