Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Plant Studies

I made these plants using Maya and Photoshop, then imported them into UDK.

Critiques welcome...

My Portfolio

PlantsCombined.jpg

FernPlantGroup.jpg

FarfugiumPlantGroup.jpg

SnakePlantGroup.jpg

Replies

• dpadam450
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 12
    Last one looks awful. The normal map is so deep/contrasted. Also just because the diffuse is tiger textured, doesnt mean that those are actual veins. Other than that they look blurry, too low res and you need to render with some anisotropic filtering or other better filtering option. The flat angles are super blurry. Basically look at the two bottom leafs of your fern, they look blurred to hell.
  • DWalker
    The number of triangles seems a bit high for ground clutter, especially the snake plant at 540.
  • _DMage_
    Sounds good, keep it up
  • Wingednosering
    The first one looks great. The second is alright, but there's too much lighting information in the diffuse. I'm not sure if you did this intentionally to eliminate a specular map, but generally you want any light/shadows to be handled within engine or with spec/gloss (spec power in UDK).

dpadam450 is right about the third. That normal map is far too intense for grass.

Another thing to consider would be outright removing your normal maps. They significantly increase rendering time and do little on ground cover anyway. Can you even see much of a difference with/without normals in engine?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    The UV's of the first and last are also confusing... they appear mirrored, why? Why not have two different leaves?
  • shawnmodonnell
    Sorry for late response, for some reason I never got the email notification. Thanks for all the help.
  • shawnmodonnell
    Bek wrote: »
    The UV's of the first and last are also confusing... they appear mirrored, why? Why not have two different leaves?

The image is mirrored, I wanted to fill the texture space. Yes, I could have used a different leaf, but I didn't for this project. Thanks!
  • shawnmodonnell
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    Last one looks awful. The normal map is so deep/contrasted. Also just because the diffuse is tiger textured, doesnt mean that those are actual veins. Other than that they look blurry, too low res and you need to render with some anisotropic filtering or other better filtering option. The flat angles are super blurry. Basically look at the two bottom leafs of your fern, they look blurred to hell.

Thanks for your critique. I have changed the normal map and I worked on the lighting a little bit, but the render is actually a screenshot and not sure how to set the anisotropic filtering, but I will look it up. I do see the blur.