Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP:Metal Box of Waste

Not much of pimping but more of a texturing exercise I did. I used Blender and Gimp for this. I'm trying to get better at texturing before I go back to working on my main projects.

MetalBox_Render_10.png

MetalBox_AllMaps_014.png

Replies

• mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    if i were you i would try and make something from reference, and try and replicate it as closely as possible. you'll learn far more doing it this way. as it stands, I don't really know what this is supposed to be. also, your uvs are laid out very inefficiently, try and maximise the area as best as possible
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    A box is a great way to start..it'll let you focus on the main task...on that note, texture wise it's too busy, leave some spots with no dirt/scratches for the eyes to rest.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    1. what metal has a rough texture like that?
    2. Why would there be "fragile" written on a metal box randomly?
    3. Again with graffiti?

Looks like all you did was take a metal texture from a photo, go over with the paint bucket and change the tolerance to paint over that. Get some reference of a metal box and recreate it. challenge yourself to create something real and not a mess of a texturing job.

example:
    1987_0662_1az.jpg
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick response :) I realize what you mean by using more UV space. I will keep that in mind next time I UV an object.

Here is another render with lighting.

MetalBox_Render_11.png
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    What, is that what you gather from all this?
    Well I am looking forward to seeing your perfect uv's later.

Not that I need to say this cause it has said before in this thread, but your texture is way to noisy and random it makes no sense at all.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I gather is that I should add more paint without scratches or wear?
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    yes. you want to have controlled wear and tear. Have a look at this tutorial

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024

all of the primary scratches where the paint has worn off and its just metal underneath are hand painted on.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice coots. I checked out that tutorial and I will see if I can modify my texture to look more like that. :)
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So on this tutorial http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024 At the step which uses the "fill all layers" option with the paint bucket tool. I'm at a loss because the tut is using Photoshop and I am using Gimp. Does anybody know how to do the same thing for Gimp? I appreciate any help thanks.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    hm too noisy for my taste are you targeting that pilled of paint texture if you do try to reduce noise
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update after following along with the tutorial I mentioned earlier. This is the box with all maps applied. (Specular, Normal and diffuse.)

MetalBox_Render_12.png

MetalBox_Render_121png.png
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
    Looking much better.. good job, but I suspect you are rushing the process. Your textures are very general and are not telling me a story as to what that object has gone through. Also your color is very out of the box(pardon the pun) and depending on the type of paint that was used to paint that object it would oxydize in a particular manner. It would be faded in places where the sun was hitting it if it was outside. It would fade with around the edges where it has been worn and rusted away. Where was it sitting? Why isnt there dirt around it's base if outside. Dust around it's base if inside. Splash marks from neighboring leaking machinery, coffee drips from workers spilling coffe while they were working near it. Putting a coffe cup on top of it and having some drips would take a mere exercise and actually make a more compelling piece. In this way you start to think about it's story and your texturing becomes well thought out . Parts of your worn down metal may or may not be more specular, some of your edges should be corroded and matte.
    Read the following tutorial and buy Owen Demers book on Digital Texture Painting ,you won't regret it. Don't worry about when the book was written as the information is essentially timeless.

http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/texturing_and_lighting/brief_consideration_about_materials/brief_consideration_about_materials_01.php

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/thompson_curtis/dpat_rev.php
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Looks like painted concrete at the moment to me. This was brought up earlier, but I'm going to second the weirdness of the "fragile" label on what is supposed to be a metal box. "Handle with care" makes sense, fragile does not, at least to me.

The main thing though is that this doesn't much look like a box, it looks like a cube. They are not the same thing. A box has a specific function, it's a container. I currently can't figure out how you're supposed to open your box, I can't tell which side is up, can't tell how it was put or fits together, etc.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
    Animesh here's a question, Why are people telling you that your material reads as concrete and not metal?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animesh here's a question, Why are people telling you that your material reads as concrete and not metal?

That is the million dollar question because I have no idea. It looks like painted metal to me, but that is probably because I textured it so I know it is metal. That's why an artist needs other eyes to view their art. :)
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of references did you use creating this?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your replies and your honesty. This took me 3 days to fully texture. I don't think that I was rushing. This was just an exercise to practice some basic texturing. The goal of this was to take an ordinary blank cube and make it somewhat interesting.

It went form this:
    Ordinary_Box_10.png
    to this:
    MetalBox_Spec_Render_10.png
    to this:
    MetalBox_Norm_Render_10.png
    To finally this:
    MetalBox_Render_121png.png
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I admit it does look like a cement box now that I see it in that order :D
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just curious, how long is the average amount of time an asset artist gets to model and texture a box in the industry?
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    dude, make something that is based on something. here's a metal box off google, make that:

old-metal-box-isolated-2368dd.jpg

you're wasting your time with this because nobody can crit it effectively because it's just some metal cube. work to that image, and people can tell you exactly what is wrong with your texture and what you need to do to improve it.

The way to learn to texture is to find a material then try to replicate it as closely as possible. You can't do this because the thing you're trying to replicate doesn't exist
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    what Mr_Ace said is a great Idea!

I think some ppl here are a bit harsh on you, but they mean well, lots of great advice here. but I agree, do the metal box and you will really improve!
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Whenever you want to improve on texturing--or whatever, you need to work off of a real life reference photo. Like Mr. Ace said is a perfect idea, model that, and texture it just like in the photo.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I'll do that. Thanks for the reference.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been working on this toolbox model since it was suggested about a month ago. I did hit a hurdle when painting on some scratches because the reference really has no defined edges like the previous box I did on this thread. I wanted to only use Blender and Gimp for this but I found that the painting features in Blender are limited. I used Zbrush and gimp. I can talk more about the process I used if you want?
    toolBox_front_Render_01.pngtoolBox_side_Render_01.png
    rustedBox_02_Front.jpg
    old-metal-box_01.jpg
    maps_Compilation_1.png
    old_metal_box_UV_Layout_10.png
    Please let me know what you think :)
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good attempt on mr_ace's idea....post ur model with wire frames..to give best suggestions....take ilttle more care in smoothing groups...try using an ao map..it will give more life to ur object and my kind advice would be learning photoshop for better texture making...all the best
  • Shmaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say to tone back and get rid of some of that grime. Try to get more things to be subtle with only like one or two points of interest that stand out on the surface. Right now it's kind of all over the place.
    It's always a good thing to break down your reference images and try to analyze what's really going on. I've gone and drawn over your reference images you have and done my own analysis, to help explain things.

mq8mq.jpg
    snj6ua.jpg
    Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong with what I have on here or would like to add something to it. I'm very tired right now...but hopefully this helps your understanding.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One suggestion I would make is to revisit that UV layout. You have acres of unused space there. Scale some important islands and play a little tetris with it. Don't let the auto packer have the final say - it's never optimal.