Home Technical Talk

XoliulShader issue

Hey guys, I installed xoliul today in an attempt to try it out, but im having an issue right off the bat. When Ive tried to apply any maps to my asset it just remains as a sillouhette.

When I attempted to render it, it does render but neither of the maps is on the object. Do any of you polywizards know what could be doing this to me?

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    change from nitrous to Direct3D

And it's a realtime shader, so you can't really render it, what you see in the viewport is the "end result"
  • Raymango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I changed from nitrous to Direct 3d at the start. Could it be something else?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    He's on Direct3D so that's not the issue. it's kinda hard to tell, might be the lighting, the shadows or the AO. Also you are on 2013 which just tends to be very buggy.
    Does it display OK without maps and with simple lighting (no shadows, AO)? Like can you change flat diffuse color, spec value? If that works then either you're setting the lighting up wrong, or something is wrong with your maps (the thumbnail for your normalmap looks strange).
    Also don't bother rendering with F9; it's completely unrelated to the shader and will never display anything, forget about it when you use viewport shaders: it's viewport only.
  • Raymango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I tried all that stuff and still no luck. Maybe It was just something that happened in max that didnt have anything to do with xoliul... just bad timing. But I dont know.

I dont know why my norm map looks like that though, its fine in photoshop, it only looks weird in the display window in the shader
  • Raymango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just realized when I go to load the light setup it cant seem to find them
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what does it look like when you load a default shader onto a model? Does it display as a black silhouette as well? What about if you disable AO and shadows on that default material scene, still the same ?
    The normalmap issue might be gamma correction, check if that is off (very bad if it's on).

And yeah the light setups are actually looking for the cubemaps. This is my bad, I moved them and noticed it today too, I will try to fix it soon.
  • Raymango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It still remains as the black silhouette when i put a default shader. Messed around in the scene controls once you told me about the ao and shadows though, I unchecked enable exposure control in viewport and I could see my maps again!

I reloaded my norm map though and it looks normal...no pun intended
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah good one, exposure control is another of those niche features, you never need it as a game artist.
  • Raymango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I dont even know why it was on. Thanks for the help though, its very much appreciated!