Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

hand drawn textures

I just finished 2 personal projects, that I did to help me get to grips with hand drawn textures with lighting/shadow information drawn into the color map. Like you would find in mmos such as WoW.

The renders of the sword are taken with just ambient light all lighting information you see have been drawn into the color map: The texture res is 512x512. I used an old drawing from warhammer online as concept

Low poly sword (View in 3D)
IhnzO

sword01_front_small.png

sword01_side_small.png
sword002_512.jpg

The box render was taken with a simple directional light to show it off.

Low_Poly_Box.jpg

These are pretty much the first hand drawn textures I’ve made so I would love some feedback or techniques I could use to make the next textures/models better.

Replies

• Ashaman73
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    Looks pretty cool, great work.
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Sword looks pretty good, but I think your box needs more attention.

paintover_cube_zps0aac18b5.png

It's also hard to gauge what the scale of this crate is supposed to be. Either it's a huge crate, or those are some very tiny chains (which will disappear if the texture is ever scaled down). Finally, it doesn't make any sense from a functional/story perspective. Why are there chains hanging from the space between the trim and the side? What's the banner doing there? Why are there Asian motifs along with Nordic runes on the lid? Things to consider.
  • oxonium
    pixelb wrote: »
    Sword looks pretty good, but I think your box needs more attention.

paintover_cube_zps0aac18b5.png

It's also hard to gauge what the scale of this crate is supposed to be. Either it's a huge crate, or those are some very tiny chains (which will disappear if the texture is ever scaled down). Finally, it doesn't make any sense from a functional/story perspective. Why are there chains hanging from the space between the trim and the side? What's the banner doing there? Why are there Asian motifs along with Nordic runes on the lid? Things to consider.

Your spot on with everything :) It completely lacks direction because I didn’t really have one when I started. It’s pretty much the first hand drawn texture I did so I hadn’t a clue about anything else than I wanted to try and learn many different techniques :) But tbh I think I’ll go back and change it make the chains bigger and change the runes to some form of Asian symbols. Maybe draw a logo on the banner so it has a purpose as well.

What do you mean by uneven edge highlights btw?

Thx for the input m8 greatly appreciated.
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    I mean the highlights along the edges of the box are unnaturally even in width and brightness. Since your crate exhibits a decent amount of wear and tear, those highlights would catch along the nicks on the side, and just generally be less even then they are now. I tried to exaggerate this in the paint-over, but it's still a subtle difference.
  • oxonium
    pixelb wrote: »
    I mean the highlights along the edges of the box are unnaturally even in width and brightness. Since your crate exhibits a decent amount of wear and tear, those highlights would catch along the nicks on the side, and just generally be less even then they are now. I tried to exaggerate this in the paint-over, but it's still a subtle difference.

ah i see what you mean.
  • _DMage_
    yea looks a bit like the minecraft texturepack: Sphax
    zc2f1.png
  • mnphear
    Offline / Send Message
    mnphear polycounter lvl 9
    _DMage_ wrote: »
    yea looks a bit like the minecraft texturepack: Sphax
    zc2f1.png

i dont see the resemblance.

Anyway nice work dude ! :thumbup: