Home Technical Talk

Subd Recovery (standalone application) released

obliviboy
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
obliviboy polycounter lvl 12
subd-recovery-01.jpg

Subd Recovery is a standalone application for recovering the previous subdivision levels of already subdivided meshes. It can recover the exact topology and geometry of a mesh as it was before being subdivided while maintaining existing UVs.

Learn more here http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/subd-recovery
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYOXuwF-NHM"]Subd Recovery - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    This looks pretty fucking cool, how does it maintain the UV's and such?
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks pretty fucking cool, how does it maintain the UV's and such?
    Thanks. If the loaded .obj has UVs it will take them and reverse them along with the mesh. It this case "maintain" means that it keeps uv seams and how they are arranged and stuff, not that It will keep every uv face, they also get reversed. Hope that makes sense.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I liked some of your scripts for 3ds, but honestly this one I don't understand.

You already release 2 subd reversion as a script which does the same thing in 3ds and maya.
    If you use zbrush you can already do that, and you don't need a standalone app.
    I guess the idea is to let people without any of these software have a way to do this, but then again, I wonder if there's much of gameartists without any of those (zbrush is pretty much obligatory nowadays).

I don't want to be a pain in the a but what's the point ?
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    I liked some of your scripts for 3ds, but honestly this one I don't understand.

You already release 2 subd reversion as a script which does the same thing in 3ds and maya.
    If you use zbrush you can already do that, and you don't need a standalone app.
    I guess the idea is to let people without any of these software have a way to do this, but then again, I wonder if there's much of gameartists without any of those (zbrush is pretty much obligatory nowadays).

I don't want to be a pain in the a but what's the point ?
    Zbrush doesn't recover the original vertex position and sometimes fails to recover the last level especially if the base contained tris or ngons.
    This tool isn't only for game artists. True this is a game artists forum.

The point is to make it easy for everybody to have this function without me having to make a plugin for every 3d app out there.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Is there any trial version ?