Home Technical Talk

Bullet physics engine for Maya 2013?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Okay..I updated to Maya 2013 and I can't find the bullet physics plugin for Maya in my plugin manager window(wtFF).I have been googling why this is so.Is the plugin missing from my package?or its a windows problem?I am using windows vista 32 bit.I am suspecting its for 64 bit users(64bit users seem to be getting the goodies these days).
From my research,seems bullet physics is open source and realtime and has a 32/64 bit version on its official website.I thinking its AMD and designed to work with AMD cards?I use a nividia graphics card so bullet wont be compartible if I download and install it?I wonder if it does simulation for cloth.

Sorry for the frequent questions here.

Replies

• Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Well Bullet should work on all cards, thats what is designed for. AMD got their own Physics solver though.
    I would suggest, get the installer. Install it again the proper way. should work for all versions...
    http://code.google.com/p/bullet/downloads/detail?name=Dynamica-Bullet2.81-WindowsAllMayaVersions.zip&can=2&q=
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks bro.Downloaded it.Wow..open source softwares are becoming really good these days.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Anchang-Style

Been playing around with it and I am impressed with the speed of simulation.Problem is I can't find some features like the softbody,how do u make some vertices unmovable,attach vertices to a rigid body,my softbody is acting like a thick rubber.Also I think rigidbody is lacking a bounciness feature or is it restitution?
    Finally,I am wondering wind,turbulence or force fields for the dsolver?

I have been looking up apps that use the bullet physics engine like blender,mmd.But I wonder if the dynamica plugin for maya is full fledged like blender/or mmd.Just to show a few-
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcWFzasWtwA"][MMD Newcomer] Stall Me [Eleni Selfy v6] - YouTube[/ame]
    Stumbled on this.The physics sim of clothes and hair is quite impressive.It was done with MMD(free software) using bullet engine.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YIafaqF7A&list=UUSO_wccIgWaT7Zha99EZpEg&index=12"]Blender 2.5 Physics: Wireframes Chains Ropes Strings & Spaghetti - Bullet Physics Capsules - YouTube[/ame]
    -Epic bullet physics capabilities using Blender.

Can these be achieved using dynamica in maya?
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry honestly i have not yet used it just installed it :) wanted to mess around with it as soon as the heat phase of university is done with (you know papers of "the process of social policy in contemporary japan" don't write well when messing around with 3d software 24/7). So maybe someone can answer it i hope...sorry :)
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem.Thanks for the reply earlier.Thats why I have decided to move to Blender.I have had enough of Maya dragging feet on things they should be adding to make apps more intuitive and with better workflows rather they keep adding one feature to one software and creating new apps that have features that should be in good old Maya in the first place.Blender is doing the exact opposite,putting every feature into one app.U can sculpt,model,vertexpaint,texture paint in blender.It has a game engine using the bullet physics in full.I haven't researched into its animation and rigging tools but I am thinking its gonna be awesome as well.
    Its like Maya,mudbox,motionbuilder,3dmax,udk thrown in an oven and made into a nice well baked cake by some master chef.
    Best of all,its free with a huge user base and devs are always adding new tools/features on a regular bases.
    Blender supports fbx and bvh import files.Till now,maya doesn't support bvh unless u have motionbuilder.I am done with autodesk.Blender all the way.