Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

John Park Mech

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Notes polycounter lvl 4
At the advise of my professor Im going to work on this concept first then go back to hand paint my other Vlaskin scene...so i'll be working on this mech then rigging it at the end of the quarter...
6McKsYs.jpg

Im working on a High to low poly workflow...Imma try to highpoly in sections and combine it at the end so the process might look kind of 'wonky' at first... :P

6NVYC8M.jpg
Legs and misc parts so far

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool concept to work on. You may have already done this and just not shown it, but I highly recommend doing a full block out of everything before starting on the high poly sections. It will save you a lot of trouble later in the process by making sure everything fits together nicely. Then you can just focus on high poly modeling without having to worry about adjusting major pieces.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    You know what Sean, I'm actually going doing that now. After I started modeling more of the leg; trying to line up high poly meshes isn't really ideal. I was thinking I could just work off of the center of the grid and rotate meshes accordingly...
    Think that low to high poly workflow seems to be better in this case...
    On that note :P some shots before sleep...
    YkkGrCX.jpg

0F0r9h0.jpg
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Block out of legs before work...
    VvBH6d0.jpg

also, if I wanted to rig the part in red so I can expand out while its stationary or collasp in is while its walking...should I leave the part as is or place it at the starting point of the animation??
    thanks
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Blockout mostly done...just gotta figure out the seats and nick nacks

2S3tarT.jpg
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Can you do a screencap of your block out from the bottom to see how you did the join of the legs into bottom?
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Really looking forward to this one
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a solid start. The back part of the "body" is beefier in the concept.

Will be interesting to watch your progress!
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    @Anchang-Styl: kK3UFIZ.jpg
    Its a bit vague but for now I don't think it'll be visible too much when its moving.

@AimBiZ: Thanks, I 'beefed' it up a bit :)

Added little nick nacks :P roughed in some shapes for the seats/cock pit...Haven't thought about it too much...unless I want to ride in it in udk :P
    6zsH6te.jpg
    found this online while researching mech stuff...think imma add it :P
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    hhmm, this is pretty sharp, imma take a seat and wait.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Yeahhpp...think imma keep the guns :P
    ihTPxUg.jpg
    So far for the day.... probably look like this for a while till my other class assignments are done...I figured I might as well unwrap it before moving onto the high poly.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Fun fact, everything is better with guns lol.

The original concept shows that the mech is clearly a construction mech, that is not outfitted with any type of fighting ability. The cockpit is completely exposed and the guy inside would be the number one target if this thing were to go into battle. Also with the guns attached the front claw thing doesn't seem all the necessary.

I think you should consider doing one of two things with the design. Either take the original mech, and then build it in such a way that it looks like a few guys converted it into a fighting mech in a junk yard with spare parts. So armor plating is just bolted on wherever, different kinds of metal everywhere, and stuff like that. Or try to turn that original concept into a battle mech by changing the design completely of the front end and cock pit.

Just my thought.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I agree with BARDLER, you got a open cockpit, fragile pistons, and leg stabilizers that wouldn't make sense with short range armor penetrating machine guns. It needs to be a lot more tank to have suck short range and slow movement. Mortar, sniper, or other various long range, high recoil, out of direct combat weapons would make more sense logically.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    hmmm, very valid points fellas...I was thinking that the end result would be a CAT construction vehicle with the chain guns being nail guns and sticking that big ol cannon on top of it and calling it a paint gun lol.
    I'll see how much time I got cause professor wants it modeled within a week...then again I do like the idea of changing the cockpit to suit it for battle as well as losing the claw.
    Thanks for the feedback
  • Infinity
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Since you're under tight time constraint I'd suggest you to just follow the concept, especially if the assignment focus is on modelling rather than design. You can play around with the design afterwards.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    On that note AimBiz...had a few hours left in the night so I threw in the cannon just cause it felt right :P
    Will be texturing those last though...FINALLY done UV mapping...I know its part of the process but talk about plenty of effort for little to show for it...
    UyCnwLp.jpg
    high poly time :D
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looks great dude. However, are you still going to clean up this low poly after the HP? Still allot of poly's to be saved on certain elements.

looking forward seeing this progress :P
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    I think I might...from far away its hard to tell if its 8 or 32 sides on some of the cylinders...I might leave em in for the close up shots but take em out when I rig it for UDK.
    ZetAm6g.jpg
    oz5YVR2.jpg
    High Poly parts

gC96is7.jpg
    Some nick nacks I might use for later details

8a8Wc81.jpg
    This was the clip that I modeled and unwrapped flat before using path deform.
    This probably isn't the 'prettiest' way to model this but with my time crunch it was the fastest.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Also my professor has allowed me to use this project in conjunction with my other class; game prototype. This class we're mocking up a basic fps style game based on a virus that brings inanimate objects to life...trash cans, barrels, etc...so, im working around the clock this get this guy into it :P
    Survival horror resident evil type of deal...but no zombies, any non living thing can come to life O.o

0FvlSs9.jpg
    Zsphere block out of soon to be fleshy tenticals...
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    catalin01 polycounter lvl 10
    I love the idea ! I don't know if your professor told you to use it in your other project, but the idea is great - This kinda things stand out - A normal mehc whit guns (not that interesting ) - a mech whit fleshy tentacles (now that's the money shot) ! The only prob that i see is that the virus can replicate only inside the living cells of an organism, but you can make the cyber tentacles :).. good luck have fun whit this project cause it's great :)
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    I like this idea also, and this is coming along, but its going to be tricky managing detail on this thing without it becoming too noisy. Already the mech is losing some of its silhouette and forms are becoming harder to read. Make sure to place "organic" bits where it best suits the overall design, not just in open areas for filler detail.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    woah, looks amazing! Really looking forward to see the tentacles :)
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    @catalin01:thanks, I pitched the idea to my professor of adding tentacles to this piece I was working on for him instead of wasting time of doing it to a barrel just for the other class. He agreed to it thankfully :P
    So in the end i'll have one without the organic tentacles for one class and one with for the other...rigged and animated...

So far....added base colors with some details just to get the idea across...I decided to texture this similar to the CAT construction vehicles. Looking at some of the massive excavating vehicles I figured this mech was something CAT might be able to produce.
    72BeMun.jpg

@tottot Im trying to imagine the tentacles in areas where it would allow the tentacles to control the mech...im hoping it looks believable when im done.

@Christian Nordgren: thanks Christian...here's where im at on the zbrush side...
    aZZfT7z.jpg
    I think i might export this mat cap as an overlay for the final diffuse as well.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Id like to start by saying that overall, the ship looks great. I have grips about the concept you started with, so my love for this model is only limited to how well you executed the individual pieces (which you executed very well).

I think u should have put some effort into streamlining the silhouette. It's really busy and imbalanced that it doesn't really showcase any of the cool mechanics and craftsmanship illustrated in your previous updates. There is a lot you can do with a texture pass, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Also, the bumpers/shields on the legs look a little barren. Spice them up a bit.

Cant wait to see ur tentacle stuff. It would be cool if you could make it look like the mech is being tied down and imprisoned into the environment.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    It's really busy and imbalanced that it doesn't really showcase any of the cool mechanics and craftsmanship illustrated in your previous updates.
    Did you mean after I added the guns? I think I might have enough time to put in a few variations with and without the guns...but I think you're right on the "business" of it...imma try to address this in the texturing.
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    Also, the bumpers/shields on the legs look a little barren. Spice them up a bit.
    Figuring this out as a go :P I was bouncing around a few ideas but for a piece that's supposed to be the bumper guards there wouldn't be much there in terms of visuals right???

Thanks for the feedback roosterMap

Finally figured out the look I want for the tentacles...now its just a matter of doing it to all of the subtools..
    AryfEBl.jpg
    Give or a take some yellows and various colors to indicate decay, muscle, and dead tissue.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    I got sometime before begining to poly paint the tentacles, but before I do, should I

a) export the lowest sub division created from zsphere skins to max to unwrap and bring it back in to project the high onto the low.

b) polypaint first then export to be unwrap and bring it back in to project the high onto the low.

c) export low, unwrap in Max,export high, bake in xNormal or topo gun.

Im still trying to get the zbrush workflow down.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    I think the guns add a lot of the business to the silhouette. You could get rid of the claw/crane thing at the front since it's gone from being a mobile crane to a mobile tank and it would make it a bit more clean :) Having said that, it's probably too late for big changes like that heh... Will be interesting to see what you do with the texturing.

Btw, the leg guards, you could add two spiky bits to the bottom so that it could sink them down in the ground to stabilize itself (they look like they are movable). Kind of the shape of the shield Legolas skates on in Moria in Fellowship of the Ring...
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Longgggg few days on this but Diffuse is done...zzzz time
    AwBs0Uf.jpg
    rFcamAv.jpg
    This weekend for the spec maybe. . .
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Sculpting for the tentacles are done.....
    wl4zP2x.jpg
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Super busy but its probably 95% or so done...last few weeks of the quarter will be to rig, animate, and get it up and running as a boss...kismet stuff...
    I went through all of the variations that were suggested, seeing what would be the most interesting...

AXD0U8x.jpg
    2e7gIwI.jpg
    QZ21b1y.jpg

Still leaning towards the one with the guns...but I might just put them all up :).

This is the one that's going to be animated...
    eSkbQlz.jpg
    IJ8RdOU.jpg
    Still trying to nail the organic, human-ish, gooey bits in the shader set-up...
    Feedback is always welcomed....
    thanks
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good model but your diffuse is a bit too noisy and blobby, keep it a bit tighter with ao and dirt etc to make the scale seem right, then get some sweet lighting on that thing so that the shapes pop out more and it doesnt all just blend into one flat shape.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the feed back Ged...went back to remove the smaller normal maps and touched up the textures....
    n5M2hL1.jpg
    Tried to relight it but not to my liking as of yet...
  • nosyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy, I really like this :] on some parts its looking a tad bit flat, kinda of the like the closest leg to the right. The top part of the right "branch" of the tentacle looks a little flat, as well as the organic matter leading up the the gun up top. By flat I mean is has hard edges...
    Maybe instead of going for a kinda instenstine look shoot for something a little more muscle like? Overall it's awesome!
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    thanks for pointing that out nosyT...I didn't even noticed that I exported the wrong subDivision from Zbrush on the part leading up to the gun...
  • nosyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, keep up the great work :]
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I have to be honest, it looks like an indecipherable mass of parts to me...

I think adding the guns was a bad choice, it severely bogs down the design visually and doesn't make any functional sense.

The biggest problem however is that you've made the critical mistake of applying rust, wear, and damage to every single edge of your model which only serves to was out the normal map and exaggerate the edges that the normal map was supposed to smooth out.