Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DXHr Cryo Container

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Onnimra polycounter lvl 10
Hi there, I'm modeling a Cryo Container from Deus Ex Human Revolution following the concept art included in the art-book of the Augmented Edition.

This is the first time I model both hi-poly and low-poly (and the first time I show something to other people too actually...), so before starting with UVs and textures, I thought of asking you guys for feedback/comments/critics.

Thanks a lot :)

Concept:
dehrcryocontainercpt.jpg

Hi-Poly
dehrcryocontainerhp.jpg

Low-Poly
dehrcryocontainerlp.jpg

Replies

• Onnimra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I modified the low-poly and now it has 980 triangles.

dehrcryocontainerlp2.jpg

Is it ok or should I optimized the mesh even more? I left the grooves on the sides 'cause I tried to match the silhouette of the concept. Is it ok with this polycount?
    In the meantime I made the UV too, I hope they are ok, but I'll leave a snapshot of them here in case you have some suggestion about them too. :)

dehrcryocontaineruv.jpg

• Onnimra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to bake decent normals, in the meantime I leave here a screenshot of the last UV layout.
    cryouvv3.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    When you model the high, are you using your smoothing groups to define your flat sides or are you using support edges?

I always recommend support edges as you have much more control of the look of your model. With that said, your edges are WAY to sharp for a game model. We have to compensate for resolution issues when we bake normal maps and thus need to make our edges much more dull then they might be in real life.
  • Onnimra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using support edges. I'll modify the HiPoly then. Thanks for the tip :)
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Your high poly is too angular, too many hard edges, at that point the normal map really isn't doing anything. Soften it up a bit.
  • Onnimra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I'll work on it tomorrow. I mainly worked on the normal map issues today too...