Home General Discussion

scrum agile software develpoment

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28development%29

does anyone have experience working with this methodology? Is it worth my time to study upon it?

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I thought Scrum is pretty standard in our industry, especially in coding, but also more commonly in a semi-scrum way in art production. Mileage in art production seems to vary though, and many studios seem to combine it with regular top-down management approaches.

Even if you're not following scrum, there are some interesting ideas in it which you can incorporate in existing workflows. If you're a team lead and want to get ideas how to better run your team then I would look into it. If you're not a team lead then it may not be very useful because to follow scrum as it is intended you need a team. Pure scrum seems to be rather rare in our industry because you need very mature and somewhat disciplined and experienced people; plus art tasks don't always seem to work for Scrum.

I got a few Scrum books, but [ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Scrum-Jeffrey-Sutherland/dp/1463578067/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359442568&sr=8-1&keywords=the+power+of+scrum"]this one[/ame] here is the best intro. It's more like a story/dialogue between a guy with a sluggish and buggy project and another guy who helps him apply scrum to it to keep the project going again. It's a pretty short read and not as dry as some other books about the subject. Once you understand the principle you can pick up more theoretical books - there's a lot of them!
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, we currently use a scrum-like development model at work at the moment (I'm a programmer), and also in one project course in university. There we use 100% text book scrum with the burn down charts, 1-2 week sprints and so on. It's quite nice, best part from my perspective is the daily scrum.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    scrum = management fad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_fad

mostly bs sold by people who are good at selling bs.

at the end of the day it is all waterfall.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    a lot of studios use something similar to scrum. sometimes its just called agile developement.
    but you don´t realy need to learn it or anything.
    if you land a gig you will surely be introduced to the concept, and it is not that hard to understand from a production perspektive.
    you only have to fully understand it if you are the one responsibly for planning all the tasks, meaning if you are a lead artist or a producer.

but if you plan on entering the industry as a usual artist, you don´t realy need to have mastered scrum to work with it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    we use it here (Jira / Kanban etc). thought it was BS at first but works very well for us (studio of 40+ people)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Scrum is great for small and large teams. Far from a management fad.

Used to use it at halfbrick when i was there.

And no at the end of the day it isnt all waterfall. Scrum is all about perspective.
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    It's definitely time well spent looking into different development models. They can seem like bulls**t and corporate buzzword bingo, but when done right they can give good structure to teams and tasks.

Waterfall and Agile are two overall development processes. Scrum is a method of Agile. Most games projects I have seen go with Agile, with a strong leaning towards Scrum.
    We use Agile and its various methods.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe you should study up on it because every time I've bumped into scrum it's by a manager who is trying to implement it at the same time as he's learning it. Speaking from an artists perspective, btw.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    easy to understand, difficult to master ;)

I haven't met anyone yet who claimed they do scrum right. most people admit to bending the implementation somewhat to their needs.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hawken wrote: »
    we use it here (Jira / Kanban etc). thought it was BS at first but works very well for us (studio of 40+ people)

yup. At first I was WTF but now after a year of using it I prefer it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Kwramm. I haven't run into too many people who claims to be a scrum purest and have it work out perfectly. Most of the time scrum gets blended in and loosens up a rigid form of top down management, or it gets used as an excuse for poor oversight or weak direction.

The exception being Valve but they seem to have evolved an across the board egalitarian style of development. Where a scrum might exist inside of a top down management style company, Valve bucks that trend and goes egalitarian all over the place.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    We use scrum at Robot. In the past 4 years we've only had about 4 weeks of crunch. I never "learned" scrum. We just followed the instructions we were given.

I would have said that we bend it to fit our needs, but we pretty much follow the Wikipedia article pretty closely. It was annoying at first, but now I would feel excluded or uninformed if we didn't do it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer the method I get now - my producer hands me a schedule for the month and I make art. I think I've produced more art in the last 2 years than I have during the rest of my career.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your post is interesting, monster. Are you crediting scrum with the lack of crunch at your studio? We do a form of scrum here and I can't say as I've ever found it all that useful. But maybe we're doing it incorrectly.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I think, like any production methodology, you can take the pieces that make sense and use them. Throw the rest away.

In my experience, most of the good parts of scrum come down to production common sense, and there's parts of the methodology that bogged down the art process. With that said, my experience is just using scrum at one studio, and was as a lead. The producers went and got scrum certified, and we followed what I believe to be the "standard" scrum procedures.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    RJBonner wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28development%29

does anyone have experience working with this methodology? Is it worth my time to study upon it?

project management is always worth a while. Currently IT industry is using agile so I would recommend it.

Scrum; study it anyways, some companies have this way of working others dont.

For this, you have to go through the recruiters in order to get in as a Software analyst.

Edit: scrum is a style, agile is the flow of the ways of how different methodologies work in it. If you dig deeper, you will get know the part of white box and black box testing. For all these things you should have a firm knowledge of sdlc and stlc. I would suggest you should understand the water fall flow before agile.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Scrum is designed to be modified by those using it.... Anyone using it directly without modifying it is being silly.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    scrum scrum. agile. burndown. buzz buzz.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    scrum scrum. agile. burndown. buzz buzz.

haha. The most annoying things about scum are those people who treat it like a cult. or the ones who insist on using the scrum lingo for everything.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Worked very well for me when I worked for Sony and Microsoft Games Studios.

I would love to keep it up at my University, I did try but my hair started to fall out as I soon found that academics are not the most agile as they like to deliberated over long engaged careful consideration and then weigh up the odds in a research paper. And we all work in a bureaucratic system so implementing any new ideas is very slow and full of paper work! :) its getting better over the past few years as there are systems and ways of doing things but it takes time to find out how to marry it all together so inside window cleaners come on the same day as the out side ones :)
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    It worked well for ME2, ME3 and DA:O

basically you need PM's to know how to use it properly. A tool is only as good as its user. As artists we can appreciate that.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    You also need leads and Directors using it correctly as well...I cant tell you how many times I've had this conversation.

"What's your estimate?"

"I'd say 5"

"We need it tomarrow."

"Then why did you ask?"

"I wanted to make sure we are on the same page...I'll put you down for a 1 then."
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, there can be just bad PMs sometimes

One company:

PM: Ok how long will it take you to fully greyblock out all the gameplay in this area?
    Me: Hmm, well with the size complexity and testing, probably a month.
    PM: Well, that's an issue.... Can you do it in 2 weeks?
    (coworker over her shoulder goes wide eyed and slowly shakes his head)
    Me: Urrrm (trying to be proactive), it can probably be PLAYABLE, but won't be polished and will have bugs.
    PM: OH that's ok! just want a first pass!

-- 2 Weeks Later --

PM: There are bugs and issues with the greyblock!! how can we call this done?? We need to push everything back now!
    Me: /faceplam

Luckly I did a followup email to confirm the plan and resolutions after the first meeting.
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Check out www.industrybroadcast.com for audio articles on scrum/agile, there's a lot there to brush up on.

Game dev is too chaotic for Waterfall to work, it's a recipe for disaster. I also think that game dev can be too unpredictable and fragmented at times for Agile/Scrum to work. In my experience you take what works for you and your team and the project you are workign on from all of the methodologies and make some hybrid bastard step child but all in all I thing scrum/agile has more potential than the rest.

If you want to go straight to the source about it check out a guy named Clinton Keith, he's the guy that basically brought scrum in full force to the games industry and he knows better than anyone else where it works and where it doesn't
  • michellepinto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its easy to use it but need to go through certain knowledge and agile software development will help you for further reference.
  • michellepinto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go through some software and get certain knowledge and also agile software development which will help you for further reference.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Have a look at Shotgun as well, very much loved in post prod and tends to spread on games nowadays, really neat.
    http://www.shotgunsoftware.com/
  • tupwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just checked out Shotgun and only wish I was an a production that could justify it. Looks brilliant.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    As a university student, SCRUM has helped the development teams that used it to keep tabs on most of the happenings on with the game development on a week to week basis.
  • Arinek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest i have completed like 4 professional projects through the help of it,Basically its about how you get the use of something according to me.
    I had the similar questions in mind then decided to move on and do it and found it tremendous.