Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Gun

Hi everyone, this is my first post here on polycount.
I was browsing the forum when I came up with a page of interesting weapon designs from Blaisoid and decided to give it a go.
It is my first try at weapons, as I usually have modeled hp cars and vehicles in the past.
I would like to do also a low poly version of this asset since i want to learn lp and baking techniques but never had a real chance before.

This is what I came up with for the hp till now :poly108:

gungg.jpg
gun01.jpg
gun02.jpg
gun03t.jpg
gun04n.jpg

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Your edges are currently too tight - when making a high poly for baking, you make the edges softer than they usually appear to get better results from the baked normal map. See http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap#Modeling_The_High-Poly_Mesh for a better explanation.
  • Atramorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, I'll adjust my edges right away.
  • pappete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    look awesome!...cant wait for lowpoly !
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    You have a lot of 90 angles there, you should have made them slightly sloped so the normal map gets them and a lot more bevel width as well :)
  • Atramorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roger that, thx for the tips =)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    The main problem that i see is that flat extruded feel that your model has.
    trigger guard is as thick as the grip and grip itself has really sharp edges and distinguishable sides. because of that it looks uncomfortable to hold and design feels more cheap.
    that horizontal piece with 3 convex stripes also is 100% flat while on concept it's slightly bulky.

Other than that it's a nice interpretation, and most of design issues come from the concept itself rather than you modeling anything wrong.
    keep it up!
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I agree with Blasoid. The grip of your model is hard edged. I have yet to encounter a handgun, rifle, or other firearm that isn't a gentle curve around the grip where your fingers and the base of your thumb wrap around. In addition trigger guards typically have a taper on the outer rim. Right now, the grip could never be held properly by a person. Like others have said you should go in and give a softer edge to almost all the 90 degree angles on your model. None of those will bake out properly and they will create some pretty bad aliasing on the low poly as you get further and further away. You want to have tight rounded edges.

While you certainly want to follow Blaisoid's concept, you should go out and grab reference images of actual pistol grips and follow similar contours across your grip.
  • Zyloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    I wish I knew how to render out images like this. If you care to share with me.. :D I am quite the noob when it comes to rendering out a nice image. I have been playing around with marmoset but am not sure how to get the clean white model with the white backround such as this.
  • Atramorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx all for the feedback, i already started to smooth every edge.
    I'm really bad with weapon as I'm not an expert of the genre, I will do my best to fix the grip.
    Week-end is approaching, don't know how much time I'll have to work on this but I'll do my best to upload new picture as soon as possible.

@Zyloh I'm bad with render too, i used Keyshot for this, I just imported the obj and clicked render xD
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    That concept is very weak. I'd suggest finding something better to practice modeling on. You need functionality in your designs - nothing in that design reads as being functional. It's just a mess of random shapes and diagonal lines that scream 'desperate sci-fi'. Look at real world reference.
  • Atramorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really bad on weapon and how they work, i just chose this concept for practicing low poly skill since i never baked a normal map before and it seemed an easy concept to do. As I said I come from a veichle background but I'm very interested in game assets and low poly in general, so I'm really willing to learn as much as I can.
    This will definetly not be my last weapon and I'll try to choose something more functional next time.
    Tanks for the comment, it is always good to receive critiques from experienced people in the industry.
  • Pierceton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I gave you a picture of a weapon that I drew do you think that you could make it into a 3D model?
  • Atramorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Pierceton I sent you a pm
  • Atramorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a quick update on the project, I smoothed pretty much all edges and prepared the mesh for a (hopefully) good normal map.
    Now it is time to start the retopology, here is the first question, is it better to use my initial low poly model or should i use topogun to redo the whole gun as a single mesh?

30972885.jpg
    99868119.jpg
    27115429.jpg
    35287033.jpg