Home General Discussion

The WarZ

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Anyone playing? bought the game awhile back been poppin in here an there to see the updates pretty fun! never did play DayZ due to how janky it looked.

generally i kill anyone i don't know due to the fact if you turn your back on anyone your a dead man :P

would love the hear your thoughts, here is two guest codes to help with that:

3FQR-HXDE-X3E6-2GLP

5692-XWOU-HN3C-K821

cheers,

Arman

Replies

• AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've heard its a bit buggy, so I can't justify dropping the money on it now. I'm also not sure how to use those keys, if they arent already taken :P

How are the controls? One of my least favorite things about DayZ was the terrible controls/interface.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Just registered an account. Download now. Cant wait to check it out!
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, just found the link to the updater.. was too late to snag a key though! Ah well, keep us posted!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I've been playing this game since it came out I think the Oct 15th? and its a blast. The devs patch the game pretty much everyday and I have never seen devs listen to the community this much! I recommend picking it up, its buggy ya...but not that bad. Add me on skype or steam if you wanna play!

If were to compare vs DayZ I'd say personally WarZ is better (I don't like to typically compare but I'm sure at some point someone will ask :P )

Steam: moustachio2
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    played for 4 hrs never found a weapon.

but i had SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much food and pain pills.
    and a very big backpack. lol
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been thinking about getting this game. I got bored with the DayZ mod and this looks like a fun alternative.

Anyone know how much it cost at the moment ?
  • sulkyrobot
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
    Watching a YouTube video of the game. It seems pretty intense and different from L4D. Anyone else has any opinion on this game?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Just played a epic match with a co-worker , got so much loot :D
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man the best firefight I have ever been a part of... in any game...

Story:

My friend and I both had an m16, pistol, and a shotgun in our backpacks and we were just leaving the airstrip we turned around and checked to see if anybody was behind us with our binoculars and saw 4 bandits come from behind just leaving the hangars with m16’s and shotguns, me and my friend were in fairly open ground near a crashed chopper, we instantly laid down and figured that instead of hopping servers we would take on these 4 guys. The battle lasted around 10-15 minutes. They saw us and the battle began. One enemy was camping out behind a crashed chopper and another was camping behind 1 out of the 4 barricades in the grass, the other two were spread out on both sides and we had a hard time figuring out where they were, but we were shooting at each other for a few minutes hitting at times but mostly missing. All of the sudden somebody spawned behind us at a circle of barricades and started firing at us with a shotgun… 2 of the 4 other bandits started coming straight at the chopper in front of us because of that. The one bandit behind us was very close and was at the barricade closest to me stood up and started shooting like crazy at my friend (I was in rubble near the large door at the chopper) the two bandits in front of the chopper didn’t see me but just my friend and shot at him and got him leaving 3 guys right in front and behind me, I killed the one bandit that was from behind with my pistol (at this time I was out of m16 ammo) I stood up and one of the bandits was in the door looking the other way and I took him out leaving me with 5 bullets in my pistol clip, the other bandit with him was at the tail of the chopper also where my friend died and he hit me with a shotgun but I had a pistol and managed to put bullets in him faster… he was gone, so in a matter of 1 minute I killed 3 bandits leaving me with 2 more and they were STILL at the barricade and crashed chopper far ahead, shooting at me this whole time…

The one behind the chopper gave up on camping there and moved forward to the left of my chopper to a small little concrete shack… after a small battle with him I got him leaving me with the 1 at the barricade… I had multiple shotguns and pistols in my backpack and got to my final shotgun the only gun with ammo, after 2-4 minutes of shooting he moved up (he was running out) I shot a few times and ran out of ammo… he was coming closer and closer and I thought I was screwed, I noticed a shotgun on the ground, I believe the one my friend dropped when he died and picked it up, had about 7-8 bullets in it, back and forth shooting and he finally had maybe 3 bullets, he just ran in the open and we were almost face to face, he shot 3 times miss, hit, miss he was out of everything and I had 2 shots after reloading… problem… there was a reload glitch and I couldn’t get to shoot, he was running around trying to find something, eventually pulling out a melee weapon… my reload glitch stopped and I killed him with my final shots.

ALL the bandits in the chat must have stayed and congratulated me in the battle and was extremely shocked, they said it was by far the best fight they have ever experienced in a game and kept congratulating and talking about it in chat, later leaving. I left with a hatchet haha. All the weapons that were on the ground were useless because there was no ammo in any.

Sorry for the lost post but WOW that was incredible…. EVERYBODY PICK THIS GAME UP ha.

aajohnny- 5
    bandits - 1
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    one of the worst cash-in games ever. and a terrible game compared to day z.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general-discussion/189094-do-not-buy-warz-scam-fraud.html

I too was interested in this, but I started having doubts after a while.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't see how its a scam considering they patch the game almost every single day and listen to the community.... since that article has been written the game has certainly been fixed and is very playable, there are obvious bugs but its not as bad as when that was written. I'm enjoying the game, I've certainly played more then $30 worth.

@ Rick how is it terrible compared to day z? care to explain? Day Z does not own the open world survival genre, kinda getting sick of people putting the label on it as that.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    When it was first in alpha it was considered a scam by many. But my main deterant is the fact that it is basically a modded War Inc. With many of the same assets and code and bugs when it was released.

That may have changed since, I can't say, but hiding the fact that the game is basically a mod of a f2p game, and then charging alot of money is shady.
  • YodadaJew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When it was first in alpha it was considered a scam by many. But my main deterant is the fact that it is basically a modded War Inc. With many of the same assets and code and bugs when it was released.

That may have changed since, I can't say, but hiding the fact that the game is basically a mod of a f2p game, and then charging alot of money is shady.
    Well the ceo is Sergey titov, he made big rigs... he actully sold 50.000 copy's of that and made 1mil profit on it. War inc was a decent game in alpha/cbt it had so much potential but sergey fucked it up.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I was interested in it as well - but hesitated when they decided to charge for alpha/beta access. Went from being a DayZ competitor to a DayZ knock-off in my mind at that point. Also - Having read interviews with both rocket and Sergey, and having combed through both of the forums a bit - I definitely have significantly more faith in Rocket as a designer than Sergey. Rocket seems to be more in the mood to make a game that is true to his vision (which is, by the looks of it, pretty damn bitchin) where Sergey is more interested in what'll make him the buck faster - not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that - but i'll be holding out for the stand-alone dayZ.

*edit - i'm not saying that warZ isn't fun, i'm sure it is - it's a fun genre - and I think it's both unfair and irresponsible to say that only Day Z can do it and everybody else is copying them.
    I would like to point out though, that your story - if taken out of context - could just as easily have come out of Day Z instead of War Z. Even down to the setting. Air strip, downed helicopters, bandits, m16s and shotguns, reload glitch.

For pete's sake - if you're going to make a game in the same genre as another game, even with Zombies, than do something to set yourself apart. It could have been in a huge metropolis, or a barren desert. it could be 100 years since the outbreak and the world is being reclaimed by nature while people are eaten by zombies - or during the initial Chaos and there are terrified civilians or remnants of armed response around. For God's sake make something different about it that's not just a few minor game-play changes - that are (from what i've seen) mostly just quick-fixes on what people most often complain about with Day Z - or lack of Arma II quirks and replaced with the quirks of your own engine.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I follow ae around... watching... waiting... preparing for his downfall. BWWAAHHAHHAHAHHHAHAH!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I follow ae around... watching... waiting... preparing for his downfall. BWWAAHHAHHAHAHHHAHAH!

Dude that game we played today was awesome! shouldn't have split up though :(
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Justin an I have been playing War Z a bit with some other guys we know.
    Its like the DAY Z mod but slightly less hardcore. and WAY WAY WAY less buggy.
    you can also form clans in it and see other clan members on map, and icons above their heads in game. makes it much easier to team up. the zombies are also more zombie like and less olympic zig zag long distance sprinters. when you get killed you lose your gear (unless a friend is there to pickit up for you.) and you have to wait an hour to spawn that character again.

one thing i really like is the safe zones, when you get in a safe zone you can deposit any gear you have found and when you make a new char you can equip him with that gear. and any player in game who gets to a safe zone can access any of the equipment you have stashed there.

theres a cash store for buying items, but be warned, you lose those items just like any others.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    I was interested in it as well - but hesitated when they decided to charge for alpha/beta access. Went from being a DayZ competitor to a DayZ knock-off in my mind at that point. Also - Having read interviews with both rocket and Sergey, and having combed through both of the forums a bit - I definitely have significantly more faith in Rocket as a designer than Sergey. Rocket seems to be more in the mood to make a game that is true to his vision (which is, by the looks of it, pretty damn bitchin) where Sergey is more interested in what'll make him the buck faster - not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that - but i'll be holding out for the stand-alone dayZ.

*edit - i'm not saying that warZ isn't fun, i'm sure it is - it's a fun genre - and I think it's both unfair and irresponsible to say that only Day Z can do it and everybody else is copying them.
    I would like to point out though, that your story - if taken out of context - could just as easily have come out of Day Z instead of War Z. Even down to the setting. Air strip, downed helicopters, bandits, m16s and shotguns, reload glitch.

For pete's sake - if you're going to make a game in the same genre as another game, even with Zombies, than do something to set yourself apart. It could have been in a huge metropolis, or a barren desert. it could be 100 years since the outbreak and the world is being reclaimed by nature while people are eaten by zombies - or during the initial Chaos and there are terrified civilians or remnants of armed response around. For God's sake make something different about it that's not just a few minor game-play changes - that are (from what i've seen) mostly just quick-fixes on what people most often complain about with Day Z - or lack of Arma II quirks and replaced with the quirks of your own engine.

in my opinion they did something to set it apart,, they made it actualy playable. they made it feel like a real game instead of something you have to keep telling yourself "well for a cobbled together mod its pretty good" i've played both games enough to have a grip on what they are,, and currently WARZ is superior. theres a few things i'd like to see WAR get thats currently in DAY, like vehicles and localized damage. but all in all this feels like a game where DAY feels like a mod.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I done merged Rhinokey's thread into this one!

Yup, I've really been enjoying it, as far as the drama, yeah, it's a bit shitty that they couldn't just be honest and say they were copying DayZ because it is currently implemented a lot better.

there's already a drama thread so lets keep this one drama free - this is for people to group up under the green banner!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have my copy. I'd be willing to team up with any Polycounter's ;)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Is this the game that was on steam for like a day before there was a boat load of back lash? Has anything been fixed?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They add new stuff and its playable, but I believe they still claim it isn't a alpha/beta, and have in game purchasable content for a game that's obviously in dev. I don't trust or respect the developers enough after the "launch" to even really consider buying the game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unless they did a super massive patch that fixed everything, it feels to me like the scandal was overblown - I was a big DayZ fan when it came out, I haven't played it recently but I'm enjoying WarZ a lot more. I was super skeptical about playing until a friend gave me a free trial code.

DayZ was cool because it was new and unique but WarZ showed that it isn't really that hard to do, I've been half joking about making a clone in unity using all purchased assets and calling it MoreZ - the networking and controling hackers is the biggest hurdle.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i havent came across a thing in this game that makes me feel like it is in beta or alpha.
  • Rhinokey
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Wouldnt mind trying this if anyone has a spare key... :(
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Guest Key's no longer given out because they were being used to hack.
  • cptSwing
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    This is a terrible game with a questionable company behind it. I advise people to steer clear of this game and companies with similar business ethics. Total biscuit pretty much sums it up. Quite a long video but worth it if you want to know exactly what is wrong with it. In fact, I don't think there is anything "right" with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtKAm3nzg6I"]The Bore Z - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Didn't we have another thread, with links all over the place on what the developers did that was wrong?

I mean the fact that they actively tried and stop you from returning the game for a refund, advertised is as 'complete', and banned players randomly, even if you didn't have a copy of the game (meaning they didn't have a check-up system for accounts in place), and raised prices after the first patch doesn't mean well at all.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, if a developer has made some questionable decision I typically avoid anything they do. There's too many games made by people take actually care about their consumers for more than their wallet to waste money on ones that don't.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've recorded some video that I need to edit together to give you a taste of the two games. Basically it's a new genre of game and right now DayZ and the WarZ are the only entries.

shitty vidya because I haven't done anything with digital video in roughly 10 years.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEDnm2c9pX0"]A short overview of The WarZ - YouTube[/ame]

Me being confused by DayZ's wacky controls and bad UI
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PW8DF6bnI"]Confusion in DayZ - YouTube[/ame]
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Just a warning for everyone that owns Warz the game and forums has been hacked and if you have a Warz Account be aware. Here is the public statement. I do have to say one thing, there statement is well written at least.
    OP Productions LLC issues Security Alert for The War Z game players,

We are sorry to report that we have discovered that hackers gained access to our forum and game databases and the player data in those databases. We have launched a thorough investigation covering our entire system to determine the scope of the intrusion. This investigation is ongoing and is our top priority. As part of the remediation and security enhancement process we will be taking the game and forums down temporarily.

We are issuing this Security Alert to all Survivors as a precaution so you can take some precautionary measures on your own. We have already taken a number of steps to increase security and are continuing to work with external advisors and investigators to identify and implement measures to minimize the chance of this happening in the future.

The data accessed included email addresses used to log-in to the forum, forum passwords which we encrypt, email addresses used to log-in to the game, encrypted game passwords as well as in-game character names and the IP addresses from which players log-in to the forum and to the game. If you posted other information to the forum it is likely that such data was accessed as well. We do not collect the names or addresses of our gamers so that information was not impacted unless you posted it on the forum. We are investigating whether additional information may have been obtained.

No Payment information Exposed.
    All payments are made through a third party and not through our system. Therefore there was absolutely no exposure of your payment or billing information of any kind.

Email Addresses.
    If you registered on our forum your registration email address was taken. Those Survivors who use the same email address to access their game accounts should be aware that the hackers have the email address.

Passwords.
    We encrypt all passwords. However, there is a possibility that simple passwords can be obtained using brute force even if they are encrypted. Our research shows that many users are not using strong passwords.

Therefore, we are asking all of our players to please change your passwords immediately. You may do this by visiting our website or by clicking "Forgot Password" on The War Z launcher screen. If you use the same password for accounts on other services, you should change those passwords as well. Please make sure to use a strong password that is unique and uses a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters. Longer passwords are stronger. We suggest not to use password shorter than 8 symbols, with 12 to 15 symbols long password being preferred.

What we are doing.
    We have engaged outside experts and investigators to assist in our investigation of this incident and committed substantial resources to that effort. We have identified number of ways access was obtained and have enhanced our security to improve game and forum safety. We are undertaking a full review and update of our servers and the services we use and adding additional security mechanisms. In addition to this post, we are emailing all of our players just to make certain that everyone is informed and has been advised to change their passwords.

The security of your data is important to us and we want our players to be assured that we take this situation very seriously. We have taken steps to improve security to minimize the chance of this happening in the future and will continue to invest in improving security going forward.

This has been a humbling experience for us. While we all know that there is no guaranty of security on the internet, our goal is to try our very best to protect your data. We sincerely apologize.

We will update you on status as we make progress.

Thank you,

The War Z Team

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The current suggestion is for peeps to change their email passwords, that's the best way to be safe.

Also, there are rumors that the people who did the current shenanigans are the same peeps from the last time who did the same job on the other game by the same company , which means there is good chance the security measure wasn't updated.

Again, changing email password is advised.